BGIOP's Training Camp Report (8/3)

Yes they will mix it up obviously. But, the #1 team is likely going against the #1 defense. And so on. '

Also, unless you're miked up (no pun intended) you don't know what they are working on and what the play calls are. Unless the coaches are yelling immediately at Trent for missing a wide open guy or at a receiver for running the wrong route you nor I will truely know.

I think I'm going to start writing down whether they are playing against the starting defense or not...

You are right...I don't know.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh....

Sorry....I've never been a big Trent fan...he reminds me too much of the QB that I hated, Rob Johnson.

I do support him and have tried to like him. He's a nice guy and really good with the fans at camp, but I personally prefer to see more of a competition at camp and we aren't getting one. That's a shame.

Guest dog14787
Sorry....I've never been a big Trent fan...he reminds me too much of the QB that I hated, Rob Johnson.

I do support him and have tried to like him. He's a nice guy and really good with the fans at camp, but I personally prefer to see more of a competition at camp and we aren't getting one. That's a shame.

Gailey explained the reason why the majority of the reps needed to go to the guy they think gives them the best shot at starting, mainly because the would be starter needs to learn the new offense and get on the same page as the rest of the starters in a very short time span.

Trent Edwards earned the right to be in the position he's in after already going through a very fair and equaled out (reps) competition with Brohm and Fitzpatrick.

Its TE's job to lose now , and as well it should be in my opinion.

Met up with my parents who came in from Albany for lunch in Rochester (garbage plates galore) and then we all made the pilgrimage to training camp. I thought my GPS was trying to lead me onto the set of the Children of The Corn with how much farmland I ended up driving through, but I eventually landed in the Mendon parking lot as I was supposed to. So sadly no Stephen King-esque horrors befell me.

As for the camp itself, it looked pretty full to me...maybe the earlier practices had sparse attendance but this one was pretty packed, especially for a Tuesday. It didnt come close to last year's TO-mania, but it's definitely comparable to the last few years.

It was hotter than hell out there today, lots of players tossing down the Gatorade cups and a few situations of heat cramps arose. Nothing too serious. As for the particulars...

QB: Trent Edwards had a pretty terrible day. He was throwing a lot of dump-off passes and a lot of times looked like he didnt know where he wanted to throw the ball and ended up just tossing it to the ground. He tried to squeeze a bomb down the sidelines but his guy was pretty well covered and it ended up going out of bounds anyways. Brohm had some serious trouble in the snap drills, he fumbled the snap 3 times from Hangartner. However he was MUCH better on the 7 on 7 and full scrimmage practices. One play in particular was quite good where it ended up being a rollout screen...got out to the flat, threw the ball perfectly to Chad Simpson who scampered for a huge gain with plenty of blockers in front of him. In the endzone drills, he lead his team to a TD all 3 times (including a beauty of a throw over to middle to Stupar) while Trent Edwards failed to punch it in during his 3 chances. Fitzpatrick had a pretty good day too, some nice over the middle slant passes. This competition is clearly going to be decided by pre-season games.

RB: All of the running backs looked really good today with Fred Jackson and Joique Bell getting special props. Jackson (on a kickoff return) caught the ball over his shoulder, reversed field and would have had at least a 50 yard return, if not more. Bell is really quick and hit the holes with authority. Lynch looked good too, he seems to be hitting his stride after missing all of the mini camps.

WR: Nothing really that special today as the QBs didnt give them much to work with. James Hardy probably had the best catch of the day from Fitzpatrick, pulling in a long bomb for a TD where he totally outmuscled the CB covering him. The Bills practiced A LOT of fade routes today, methinks we'll see a lot of Hardy in those situations. Chad Jackson has a solid day too, didn't drop any of the passes I saw thrown at him during the 7 on 7s or the position practices.

TE: Interesting note, Jonathan Stupar practiced with the first team when they were practicing running plays and Shawn Nelson started when they were practicing passing plays. Nelson really struggles with his blocks, but he brought in some very nice passes over the middle. Stupar is his usual self, catches everything in reach and lays into people during blocks. Schouman ended up being stripped on one play for a fumble and Matthews got hit HARD by two secondary players in the endzone. It looked like there could be another fight after Matthews got up and started yelling about the hit, but everyone just walked back to the huddle and it was forgotten.

O-Line: The running game is waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the passing game at this point. They actually opened up some really nice holes for the running backs and all of the backs were quick through them. I actually feel a little bit better about our tackle position than I did before today as Cornell Green looked very good today, the guy was pretty much a wall. Meredith looked good filling in for Bell when he needed a rest at LT. Kyle Calloway stood up Marcus Stroud on pass rush drills when he was filling in at RT. The interior O-Line did struggle for the most part though in pass rush drills.

D-Line: ...damn, this is the one spot where I was expecting very little and saw quite a bit. First off, Alex Carrington was the star of the practice IMO. In the pass rush drills, the guy was absolutely unblockable. What impressed me was that it wasnt just one move, he has a variety of pass rushing moves and even ended up throwing a lot of O-Linemen backwards into the "QB". I left camp thinking that we have a future star in Carrington. Kyle Williams has sold me on his ability to man the NT, I watched him just blow up Hangartner and storm the backfield on two consecutive rush drills. Stroud, aside from getting owned by Calloway on that one play, also got quite a bit of pressure and looks a lot less flabby than in years past. Troup got double-teamed for most of the plays he was involved in and still managed to push them back a bit which is honestly the best you can hope for out of your space clogging NT. This was the unit I was most impressed with, they look to have very good starters and (shockingly) quite a bit of depth behind them. Can't wait to see them in pre-season.

LBs: Nobody really stood out to me today, Antonio Coleman has some nice outside pass rushing skills, Donovan Woods (I think it was him) caused Schuman to fumble and Reggie Torbor was constantly around the ball. Aaron Maybin didn't have a great day, he was stuffed on all of the pass rush drills and did nothing during the 7 on 7 and scrimmage drills. It looked like he was getting coached pretty hard on the field and seemed to take it well. I feel like he really wants to get better but his skills just aren't translating well to the NFL level.

CBs: McGee was in sweat pants so McKelvin took over the CB1 spot and had himself a great day. Lots of pass breakups and soft hands during INT drills. As usual all of our secondary guys looked good, Byrd really does go after every single football thrown his way, even in practice. He was laying out for them even if they were out of reach. Ellis Lankster also pulled in a few nice picks during the drills, tapping the sidelines to stay in bounds, I was impressed by that.

Overall, I came away feeling a little better about our OT positions and a hell of a lot better about our D-Line. The Bills ran a lot of playaction today (I couldnt believe it either, I havent seen that in years) and a lot of screen passes so I would expect to see them heavily used during pre-season to iron out the kinks. Definitely a different tempo in Camp Gailey compared to Camp Jauron, the guys are doing a lot more work and seem to be far more energetic.

Thanks for the post....im in the Marines so I dont get a chance to see camp. Keep up the good work we all appreciate it.

Maybin seems to be hit and miss at these practices. One night he'll have multiple sacks and pressures, and the other.... nothing.

So, if nothing else, we'll get a suitable replacement for Schobel's production. Big sack one game, not there the next, but as long as he gets double-digits on the year, he should be a legend, right? Oooh...I forgot he was black...looks like he'll have to step it up.

What the heck was that all about Bill. I haven't said a word in this thread and you throw that in there.

You should be ashamed of yourself. A classless act.

That is about how despite all the positive reports about a few players you continually piss in the cheerios. Ever since you came here its been nothing but negative, and that's was understandable before camp started, skepticism and all, but even now after camp starts you still chime in with ur little quips, and you're not the only one, but you are the most repetitive about it. You make a point at every turn to say we have absolutely no DL and pass rush, well pay attention cause it sounds like we may just have it after all. Troup, carrington, stroud, edwards and williams are all looking good by most accounts.

Im not ashamed and who are you to be passing such judgement? think about it like this, if you didn't have the negative tunnel vision that you have, then this would've never happened, so really, you have only yourself to blame.

Thanks , and you always o a great job. but this would enhance it some. I appreciate it, as I am sure others do as well. B-)

That is about how despite all the positive reports about a few players you continually piss in the cheerios. Ever since you came here its been nothing but negative, and that's was understandable before camp started, skepticism and all, but even now after camp starts you still chime in with ur little quips, and you're not the only one, but you are the most repetitive about it. You make a point at every turn to say we have absolutely no DL and pass rush, well pay attention cause it sounds like we may just have it after all. Troup, carrington, stroud, edwards and williams are all looking good by most accounts.

Im not ashamed and who are you to be passing such judgement? think about it like this, if you didn't have the negative tunnel vision that you have, then this would've never happened, so really, you have only yourself to blame.

I sure wish the guys in this forum that feel the need to make personal attacks on each other would take it off the board & go to a personal forum to duke it out. There's way too many interesting threads interrupted by childish attacks. It's like looking at a picture of Angelina Jolie with a huge zit on her face. C'mon guys...sheesh!

Bill, you are absolutely in the wrong. I have a right to be negaitve and many on this board happen to agree with a lot of what I say. You and many others happen to think otherwise.

Fact: I didn't even say a word on this thread! I wasn't pissing in anyone's cheerios as you point it! The only reason why I replied in this thread was because of what you did.

Fact: Go back and look at our responses back and forth. I have ALWAYS been civil and polite with you. Often we agreed to disagree without negative connotations.

Fact: You made a point to talk about me behind my back. That says a lot about your character....

You can stand by your classless, unprofessional act if you like. You can try to justify it anyway you like. The fact is you were dead wrong and probably never will ever admit to it. Pretty sad...

Now like me address your response. So your telling me I can be negative before camp but now I can't be negative because camp has started. That is great sound logic Bill. Or is that an opinion your trying to shove down my throat?

I have been paying attention to the training camp reports. In fact, I have personally thanked the guys for their hard work and observations.

I have the right to express my viewpoints on the Buffalo Bills. Just like you do. I HAVE NEVER NEVER NEVER attacked anyone behind there back. If I have something to say I say it directly to that person. Isn't that common sense?

Nice try to place the blame on me. It is my fault? You can pelt me with insults behind my back because of my past negative post. Nothing more needed to say there.

Bill, IMO, you should be ashamed.

I sure wish the guys in this forum that feel the need to make personal attacks on each other would take it off the board & go to a personal forum to duke it out. There's way too many interesting threads interrupted by childish attacks. It's like looking at a picture of Angelina Jolie with a huge zit on her face. C'mon guys...sheesh!

Enuf, I completely agree with you. However, in this case I feel I had the right to defend myself because I had done nothing wrong. I was totally shocked when I had seen what Bill had written.

Enuf, I completely agree with you. However, in this case I feel I had the right to defend myself because I had done nothing wrong. I was totally shocked when I had seen what Bill had written.

My mama, a very wise woman, had a saying. "Ignore them...they'll go away"

Thanks for the camp reports to all who post. For those of us who can't get there it's great to hear what you have to say. I've been really interested in the progress of Troup and Carrington and it's great to hear some fan feedback. I hope to return the favor someday.

So, if nothing else, we'll get a suitable replacement for Schobel's production. Big sack one game, not there the next, but as long as he gets double-digits on the year, he should be a legend, right? Oooh...I forgot he was black...looks like he'll have to step it up.

Speaking of Schobel and a little off topic, but will we be saving any money from his release and if so, how much? Could we not then sign an OL with the savings?