A Bad Case of the Runs

I tried to find the stats for three and outs and couldn't but they were the worst in overall 3rd down conversions which essentially causes the same problem, namely a defense that is always on the field because the offense can't sustain drives. If the Bills were to move to even the middle of the pack for this stat the defense would be able to rest and still be able to play in the fourth quarter as opposed to being completely gassed and run over.

3rd down conversions

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third...-conversion-pct

Thanks for the link! Sad..but there it is.

Playing against better rushing teams was only one of the factors as to why we sucked against the run. 1- Playing against Quality rushing teams. 2- Lack of offensive possession put our D in bad spot early in the season. 3- Soft Defensive scheme lent its self to be more prone to breaking down. 4- Injuries to a shallow team (Poz struggles to stay healthy in the middle of the season, Mitchell being out for the year). 5- Keith Ellison starting and 6- Over investing of draft picks in the secondary over the front 7 in recent years.

Good post. But I'd like to see 4th quarter statistics. It seemed we could not get off the field at the end of any game. We got pushed around when we really needed a stop.

Great point. Time of possession is another factor. Our lame offense had trouble stringing together first downs. That really hurts the defense in the 4Q.

A good (maybe "competent" would be a better description) offense would improve the play of the defense more than just about anything else I can think of (a new scheme, or a star player, hard/soft coverage).

I have mentioned it many a time, the defense has had no hope for years. It's tough to motivate guys to abuse their bodies defending a 2 touchdown deficit week in and week out (year in, year out?). They have been playing without any hope of winning because just about any effort is for naught. Defensive play depends on EMOTION.