OT - Urban Meyer to Florida

bartshan-83

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if they have a better deal than other schools.  As I mentioned before, college football has a ton of TV coverage through network TV, cable, and pay per view/sattellite services.  You'd be hard pressed to miss a game from teams in the ACC, SEC, Big 11 (they don't have 10 teams!!!), or the Big 12.  They're on almost every week as it is and they certainly have more than enough exposure to those who would be interested, whether they be pro scouts, alumni, or just plain hardcore college football fans like myself (the stack of tapes in my family room downstairs with college games on them being proof positive).  I think players who go to Notre Dame get what they want in terms of exposure as do those in other major colleges.  Back when you only had the networks showing college football, I think Notre Dame did have a significant advantage.  Not any more.  But, like I said, I don't see any losers in that from either side.

144778[/snapback]

Oh, I meant TV money, not necessarily exposure. I agree with you that any of the big time schools get plenty of TV time these days. Schools have to use whatever tools they can to recruit, including TV time, tradition, recent history, etc. It's amazing how much success breeds success (UCONN basketball being a great example). ND is doing what they can and trying to keep the program within its school standards, which is a real concern that not all football programs have to deal with. After all, at the end of the day, the guy really calling the shots at ND is a priest.

The deal is that if you win at Florida you are a great football coach, and its pretty easy to do.  You win at ND, you're a legend and its not that easy to do.  Bottom line....Meyer took the easy way out.

144790[/snapback]

I wouldnt say it was the easy way out....dosent Urban have ties with the Florida president or something?? Maybe that was part of it....I do agree with you if you win at ND, it is much different then winning at Florida...maybe Urban didnt like the academic restrictions part of recruiting at ND vs Florida....maybe ND and Meyer didnt agree on certian things.

I wouldnt say it was the easy way out....dosent Urban have ties with the Florida president or something??  Maybe that was part of it....I do agree with you if you win at ND, it is much different then winning at Florida...maybe Urban didnt like the academic restrictions part of recruiting at ND vs Florida....maybe ND and Meyer didnt agree on certian things.

144801[/snapback]

Yes. My vote goes for Kevin White screwed up again. He is so worthless. IF Urban is the man you are banking on, then when you go to Utah, you make him an offer he can't refuse. You don't pussyfoot around and risk another national embarrassment.

:devil:

Restoring ND to the National Championship picture on an annual basis would be extremely difficult, hence my post, that it is very hard to win at ND. It is easier at Florida (academic standards, florida talent etc.). Meyer had a chance to try for legend status and took the easier, safer choice. That probably tells you all you need to know about Urban Meyer as a person.

I do know that this is ND's most important hire in a generation. There are a whole bunch of kids who do not even remember ND being relevant and if ND doesn't come back strong, they will fall further and further off the national stage.

I want to see them winning and good, for selfish reasons, I'm a die hard Cane fan and want the rivalry renewed.

I hate to say this, but honestly how the hell does ND expect to get anyone worth a sh--? NO Talent. Only gave Willingham 3 years (which is a joke with the lack of talent and being shackled with some other clowns recruits) then fired him.

No way in hell Meyer was going to give up being God like in Utah to go to ND and be canned in 3 years.

Florida would have easilly been my pick

I hate to say this, but honestly how the hell does ND expect to get anyone worth a sh--?  NO Talent. Only gave Willingham 3 years (which is a joke with the lack of talent and being shackled with some other clowns recruits) then fired him.

No way in hell Meyer was going to give up being God like in Utah to go to ND and be canned in 3 years.

Florida would have easilly been my pick

145194[/snapback]

Who do you think gets the talent? Yes the academic standards are high, but we aren't so talentless that we couldn't beat Tennessee, Florida St., and Michigan (TWICE) during Ty's tenure. There is some good talent here, maybe not as much as we used to have, but some nonetheless. And the point is, Urban should be able to recruit better players and then COACH them to be great players. He took the easy way out....

Do you think someone other than Stoops is responsible for OU coming back on the scene?

Salt Lake City newspaper reporting that Florida AD Jeremy Foley flew to Norman, OK Wednesday and offered Stoops 3.5 mil - Oklahoma matched it (and said if the offer was 4 mil they would have matched that) - Foley then flew on to SLC and offered Meyer the job (his plane got their Wednesday before Notre Dames did). Apparently ND offered him 1 mil/yr for seven years - he signed with Florida for 2 mil for 7 years. ND lowballed him - unbelievable....... and just because Foley makes a stop in Norman - Stoops gets a 1.3 mil raise - sweet for him.

Salt Lake City newspaper reporting that Florida AD Jeremy Foley flew to Norman, OK Wednesday and offered Stoops 3.5 mil - Oklahoma matched it (and said if the offer was 4 mil they would have matched that) - Foley then flew on to SLC and offered Meyer the job (his plane got their Wednesday before Notre Dames did). Apparently ND offered him 1 mil/yr for seven years - he signed with Florida for 2 mil for 7 years. ND lowballed him - unbelievable....... and just because Foley makes a stop in Norman - Stoops gets a 1.3 mil raise - sweet for him.

145228[/snapback]

If that is true then the level of absurdity around south bend has hit an all-time high. Tyrone made more than 1 mill per season. White should have done what it took. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Understand this....Before stoops we couldn't make the top 25. Honestly from the time Barry S retired we sucked. Then all of a sudden here comes stoops. Winning record and a bowl his first season with SOMEONE ELSES PLAYERS! Then in year 2 we win the national championship.

Since then top 6 at worst. Guess what? Due to STOOPS REP/Recruiting ESPN etal have stated we are stocked for the next 5 years (being at least a contender for the title).

so Yeah I gotta say it's Bob Stoops.

Understand this....Before stoops we couldn't make the top 25. Honestly from the time Barry S retired we sucked. Then all of a sudden here comes stoops. Winning record and a bowl his first season with SOMEONE ELSES PLAYERS!  Then in year 2 we win the national championship.

Since then top 6 at worst. Guess what? Due to STOOPS REP/Recruiting ESPN etal have stated we are stocked for the next 5 years (being at least a contender for the title). 

so Yeah I gotta say it's Bob Stoops.

145328[/snapback]

So if Stoops can turn a program around, why couldn't a great coach do that here? You say how does ND expect to get anyone to coach them....how did OU get Stoops? There IS talent on this team, not as much as there once was, but still some. A great coach could bring us back to the elite.

ROFL! I find this hilarious. Notre Dame fired a pretty good coach, so they could get their #1 choice in Meyer and then they lowball him, so he says :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: and signs with Florida. Meanwhile, a prestigious school in South bend now has no coach and has a lot of pissed off players. :lol:

They deserve it! :rolleyes:

If its true, White needs to be hung from a tree here on the quad, beaten like a pinata by every student and fan that wants a turn, and then shot.

im not bitter :rolleyes:

145264[/snapback]

It's neck & neck to see which D-I AD is the worst--ND's White or Nebraska's Pederson.

Pederson saddled NU with Callahan. The result? The first losing season in Lincoln in 43 years. Beet red embarassment for Big Red.

Lord knows who White will find to "rescue" the Irish from oblivion.

If that is true then the level of absurdity around south bend has hit an all-time high. Tyrone made more than 1 mill per season. White should have done what it took. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

145256[/snapback]

There seems to be enough absurdity to go around. 3.5 million (would have paid 4) for a fuggin' college football coach? That's a whole friggin' lot of student activity fees. Where's the outrage? Schools are supposed to be primarily learning institutions, not the semi-pro league for the NFL.

And people wonder why tuition at schools keeps going up and up and up, waaaaay outpacing inflation... :rolleyes:

There seems to be enough absurdity to go around. 3.5 million (would have paid 4) for a fuggin' college football coach? That's a whole friggin' lot of student activity fees. Where's the outrage? Schools are supposed to be primarily learning institutions, not the semi-pro league for the NFL.

And people wonder why tuition at schools keeps going up and up and up, waaaaay outpacing inflation... :rolleyes:

145489[/snapback]

While I agree with you in principle, the football team here (and other places) brings in a ton of money to the school. That money can be used for academic purposes. If you have the chance to nab a coach that can get you to a BCS bowl (12-14 million per team payout) and you can get him for 2 million a year, I'd say that is a pretty good investment for the university.