Blogosphere Psychology

I had a conversation with a lady psychologist the other day and somehow we got on the subject of behavior in the blogosphere. She explained that often the people who are rude and aggressive on message boards are not so in every-day life. The anonymity of cyberspace emboldens people to do things they wouldn’t dare do normally, especially people with repressed anger. The blogosphere gives them an opportunity to be mean without meaningful consequences.

I asked her if I was polite on message boards because I was an a-hole in real life and didn’t need to find a place to vent steam.

She laughed and said “maybe.” Or maybe I’m just content with life and don’t harbor hidden hostilities. She said that usually the people who want to hurt others are the ones who are experiencing pain themselves.

So if you have a nag for a wife, a jerk for a boss, or your kids hate you, remember not to take it out on us here at The Stadium Wall. We’re on your side. We’re all Bills fans.

I had a conversation with a lady psychologist the other day and somehow we got on the subject of behavior in the blogosphere. She explained that often the people who are rude and aggressive on message boards are not so in every-day life. The anonymity of cyberspace emboldens people to do things they wouldn’t dare do normally, especially people with repressed anger. The blogosphere gives them an opportunity to be mean without meaningful consequences.

I asked her if I was polite on message boards because I was an a-hole in real life and didn’t need to find a place to vent steam.

She laughed and said “maybe.” Or maybe I’m just content with life and don’t harbor hidden hostilities. She said that usually the people who want to hurt others are the ones who are experiencing pain themselves.

So if you have a nag for a wife, a jerk for a boss, or your kids hate you, remember not to take it out on us here at The Stadium Wall. We’re on your side. We’re all Bills fans.

Makes sense. Here's to everyone on here acting like they really are in real life, except without drama. You're right, we're on the same side. B-)

Sounds like you and your psychologistette are both morons.

B-)

Kinda like having a Boss that acts like a badass at work because they feel they can get away with it because they can fire you.