Run and stop the run

Yoho

This team is set to go anywhere from 3-13 to 11-5. I beleive Gailey is taking us right back to Buffalo roots. We have to be able to run and we have to be able to stop the run. The good news is that I do not think any team in football goes 3 deep at running back better than the Bills. If we can finish in the top 10 in the league in rushing, we will compete. We have the talent. Do we have the line?

On defense, we HAVE to stop the run. If we can do that, we have the defensive backfield to make plays. We don't have many strengths; that is one of them. I am far less worried about quarterback than I am about these two keys. I know our rushing game is somewhat dependent on the opponents respect for our passing game. But there are at least two games a year where the winds are howling so badly, no one figures you can pass anyway. That is when you need to win the rushing contest. If we focus on these two keys, the Bills can win this year. It gives me hope.

I've been a pretty consistent supporter of Gailey and Nix, I like their attitude, and I like the guys they've assembled on defense. I really think our defense will be a lot better than people are conceding, and it starts with guys like Moats, Batten, Coleman, Mitchell, Williams, Edwards, and Carrington. Those guys are overlooked or dismissed too much, as if none of them are going to be contributing in a positive way for this 3-4. I think they all have talent and will give us the right combination of size, strength, and speed to be a quietly good unit.

It's the offensive line I'm concerned with, more than anything else. It's my biggest critique of Nix and Gailey. Healthy they might be o.k., but if Hangartner goes down, then Woods will have to move over and someone will have to replace him. If Bell or Meridith go down, who'll replace them effectively? I just think they're walking too fine a line with that unit to really expect to be able to win very many games this year. I hope I'm wrong there. And what really bothers me about that isn't that I think they like what they've got there; rather, it seems far more likely that Wilson put the brakes on spending for free agent O-linemen. Or, maybe he implied to Nix that he'd have to make it work on a limited budget. If we have to deal with a front office that doesn't go after big name F.A.'s, who expect to win soley on rookies and guys on rookie contracts, then we'll never be a Super Bowl team. I mean, the few guys we have that end up stars end up leaving more times than not. So, I know I got off on a tangent - I think we'll run good - we did last year and that was with less to work with all around. I think our Defense will be able to stop the run, and I think we'll have, when healthy, a wild-card able team. But, we're so thin in places if injuries happen I think we'll fall apart fast.

Statistically, running and stopping the run is the key to winning in the regular season much more than in the playoffs.

One thing at a time, my friend.. one thing at a time.

At this point, I'd be thrilled with the moniker of being one of those teams that's pretty good in the regular season, but stinks it up in the playoffs. :)

Quester, I absolutely agree. When you get to the playoffs, you can worry about exactly how to beat the unique opponent in front of you. But if you cant run the ball and stop the run, you cant get to the playoffs.

Statistically, running and stopping the run is the key to winning in the regular season much more than in the playoffs.

The root of the solution is to strengthen the offensive and defensive lines. If you do that you can run and stop the run, but you can also pass because the QB gets time and you can pressure the opposing QB to make errors.

The key to success is building outstanding lines on both sides of the ball.

Sadly, this is where any objective observer can see that the Bills are seriously deficient. Until the lines are vastly improved, the Bills will continue to suffer mediocrity.

This team is set to go anywhere from 3-13 to 11-5. I beleive Gailey is taking us right back to Buffalo roots. We have to be able to run and we have to be able to stop the run. The good news is that I do not think any team in football goes 3 deep at running back better than the Bills. If we can finish in the top 10 in the league in rushing, we will compete. We have the talent. Do we have the line?

On defense, we HAVE to stop the run. If we can do that, we have the defensive backfield to make plays. We don't have many strengths; that is one of them. I am far less worried about quarterback than I am about these two keys. I know our rushing game is somewhat dependent on the opponents respect for our passing game. But there are at least two games a year where the winds are howling so badly, no one figures you can pass anyway. That is when you need to win the rushing contest. If we focus on these two keys, the Bills can win this year. It gives me hope.

Yoho, thanks for the thread and post. I can't say that I share your optimistic viewpoint.

(1) Gailey taking us back to our roots? Really, based on what? We haven't proven we can stop the run and our rushing offense has been medicore. I am not on that Gailey bandwagon. He hasn't done anything yet to convince me to take that ride. Why are you so eager to jump on?

(2) I would argue that the Cowboys three headed monster is more impressive. It is comprised of Barber, Jones, and Choice.

(3) Stopping the run is something we haven't been effective in doing for years. I think we may be on the right track but still years from being an effective run stopping defense. The guys are very very young and we lack that dominant NT to anchor the defense. To date, I am not confident our young guys you can be effective. It is a huge question mark. Not to mention, OLB is a huge need too.

It's the offensive line I'm concerned with, more than anything else. It's my biggest critique of Nix and Gailey. Healthy they might be o.k., but if Hangartner goes down, then Woods will have to move over and someone will have to replace him. If Bell or Meridith go down, who'll replace them effectively? I just think they're walking too fine a line with that unit to really expect to be able to win very many games this year. I hope I'm wrong there. And what really bothers me about that isn't that I think they like what they've got there; rather, it seems far more likely that Wilson put the brakes on spending for free agent O-linemen. Or, maybe he implied to Nix that he'd have to make it work on a limited budget. If we have to deal with a front office that doesn't go after big name F.A.'s, who expect to win soley on rookies and guys on rookie contracts, then we'll never be a Super Bowl team. I mean, the few guys we have that end up stars end up leaving more times than not. So, I know I got off on a tangent - I think we'll run good - we did last year and that was with less to work with all around. I think our Defense will be able to stop the run, and I think we'll have, when healthy, a wild-card able team. But, we're so thin in places if injuries happen I think we'll fall apart fast.

Regarding Bold:

a.) I am tired of hearing about cheap old ralph. Name a minimum of 3 up to 5 Oline veterans with enough gas left that you could have bought to win now.

b.) We have purchased FA's in the recent past who did not pan out.

c.) The "star" which i believe you are referring to (Peters) was being upgraded commensurate with his skills, but felt he deserved much more and forced his own departure. Remember he was considered a ? coming out of college and not drafted by anyone. This year we will see if he is a true star in philly without a mobile qb to protect.

The root of the solution is to strengthen the offensive and defensive lines. If you do that you can run and stop the run, but you can also pass because the QB gets time and you can pressure the opposing QB to make errors.

The key to success is building outstanding lines on both sides of the ball.

Sadly, this is where any objective observer can see that the Bills are seriously deficient. Until the lines are vastly improved, the Bills will continue to suffer mediocrity.

What a sad post but it is 100% correct. I could not have said it any better. It's good to see some honest constructive criticism here.

fixed

if this team makes eleven wins i will shove a dolphins flag up my butt and stand on the corner of big tree and northwestern farting god bless america

That is generous of you to offer. But what if they went 7-9 or 8-8? What would u give up then? At the very least u can do a few notes.

In order to run the ball effectively these days you need an above average passing attack (or better) to do the job. The best teams these days pass to set up the run, rather than run to set up the pass.

Since Buffalo has no offensive tackles, no experienced WRs other than Lee, an utter abortion at the QB position, I think the Bills will have a hard time running the ball even with the talent in their backfield.

... at least they'll have a hard time running the ball when it counts.

As far as stopping the run? This team still has arguably the worst LB corps in the NFL (though, the new DE/OLB hybrids in the 3-4 could surprise I guess) and has a very unproven front 3 in this particular scheme. Add in the learning curve of a new system and I think you're looking at a long year for the front 7 of this team.