jamarcus russells rights?

on the wilkipedia page for russell it says that since about a month ago his rights are owned by the tiger cats or some cfl team

how is this possible doesnt make any sense to me. he was released by the raiders and is a free agent

anyone out there that could possibly shed some light on this for me>?

on the wilkipedia page for russell it says that since about a month ago his rights are owned by the tiger cats or some cfl team

how is this possible doesnt make any sense to me. he was released by the raiders and is a free agent

anyone out there that could possibly shed some light on this for me>?

It simply means that if he were to ever play in the CFL, that he could only play for the Hamilton Tiger Cats (or whichever team holds his rights) unless that team released his rights or traded them to another CFL team.

Russell's UFL rights are owned by the Omaha Nighthawks.

Theoretically JaMarcus Russell could make a return to the NFL and no CFL or UFL team would have any say in the matter.

Those non-NFL teams only hold his rights as they apply to their own particular leagues.

Jamarcus Russell's rights?

He has the right to remain silent. Anything he says can and will be used against him in a court of law. He has the right to an attorney- since he was paid millions by the Raiders, he cannot claim he can't afford one, so he'll have to appoint one himself.

Jamarcus Russell's rights?

He has the right to remain silent. Anything he says can and will be used against him in a court of law. He has the right to an attorney- since he was paid millions by the Raiders, he cannot claim he can't afford one, so he'll have to appoint one himself.

He can afford one with what he ripped off from the raiders.

It simply means that if he were to ever play in the CFL, that he could only play for the Hamilton Tiger Cats (or whichever team holds his rights) unless that team released his rights or traded them to another CFL team.

Russell's UFL rights are owned by the Omaha Nighthawks.

Theoretically JaMarcus Russell could make a return to the NFL and no CFL or UFL team would have any say in the matter.

Those non-NFL teams only hold his rights as they apply to their own particular leagues.

how does omaha have his ufl rights and hamilton have his cfl rights this is what im not understanding he never signed contracts to theese teams he was drafted by the raiders and released by the raiders how can theese other teams have rights to him im not understanding this at all

how does omaha have his ufl rights and hamilton have his cfl rights this is what im not understanding he never signed contracts to theese teams he was drafted by the raiders and released by the raiders how can theese other teams have rights to him im not understanding this at all

The NFL Raiders drafted him. They own his NFL rights. If he plays in the NFL he plays for the Raiders, unless they cut or trade him, until the Raider's rights expire.

In the CFL, Hamilton drafted him. If he choose to play in Canada (let's say he gets cut by Oakland and no other NFL team signs him) he plays for the Tiger-Cats unless they trade or release him, until their rights expire.

The Omaha the Omaha Nighthawks drafted him as well. Same thing applies should he end up playing in the UFL.

the UFL has there own way of picking players, as does the CFL. I believe the UFL has a kind of "vet draft". You would have to know more about each specific league, but it's basically the same way we have rights to CJ Cpiller even though he has yet to ever sign with us.

I'm sure at some point, Russell's agent threw his hat into each league to at least see what the interest was. If all you can do is play football (and i use that loosely in this case), and the NFL cuts you, you have to test the waters in the other leagues. It's only smart to make himself available in all leagues and see who offers the best deal.

Kind of like how the Bills drafted Ernie Davis during the AFL era. He chose to go to the NFL instead.

Also, Jim Kelley, when the Bills drafted him, he went instead to the USFL Houston Gamblers. When he decided to return to the NFL, the Bills still owned his NFL rights - and hence, they were the only team he was allowed to play for.