Chan Gailey's Plate

mpl6876

I know this has been discussed here. I was hoping for a little more in depth analysis.

Does anyone think Chan has "too much on his plate?" He is the head coach, calling his own plays and has a OC named Modkins who has no experience as a OC. Very limited NFL experience as a running back coach for Arizona. I see him as a "puppet" for Gailey. An old buddy from GT.

My initial thought is that it is going to be very very difficult for Gailey to juggle the head coach responsibilities and offensive coordinator responsibilities too. This really scares me? Seems like a bad idea not to hire an experienced OC. Remember, our last OC?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I know this has been discussed here. I was hoping for a little more in depth analysis.

Does anyone think Chan has "too much on his plate?" He is the head coach, calling his own plays and has a OC named Modkins who has no experience as a OC. Very limited NFL experience as a running back coach for Arizona. I see him as a "puppet" for Gailey. An old buddy from GT.

My initial thought is that it is going to be very very difficult for Gailey to juggle the head coach responsibilities and offensive coordinator responsibilities too. This really scares me? Seems like a bad idea not to hire an experienced OC. Remember, our last OC?

Yeah, lots of coaches have used he same model as Gailey, basically he's grooming Modkins, Modkins is in the installation process, its just chan calling the plays. Modkins is the RB coach also, i think, so he'll be continuing to do that in addition to learning how to be an OC. Make no mistake he is the OC, he's the guy in meeting installing this offense, but chan is right there with him, helping, teaching.

There other part to this plan is that it eliminates the possibility of a mutiny b/t coaches, modkins has no illusions that this is "his" offense, cause its not. By putting a young guy in place chan has assured himself a stable staff that he can mold.

At some point, everybody needs to get an opportunity, this is that opportunity for modkins, he gets to learn from a very good offensive coach, and down the road, if things work out, he will either get full control of the offense, or move on, either way its good for modkins.

the short answer to your question is no, Chan's "plate" is not too full.

Yeah, lots of coaches have used he same model as Gailey, basically he's grooming Modkins, Modkins is in the installation process, its just chan calling the plays. Modkins is the RB coach also, i think, so he'll be continuing to do that in addition to learning how to be an OC. Make no mistake he is the OC, he's the guy in meeting installing this offense, but chan is right there with him, helping, teaching.

There other part to this plan is that it eliminates the possibility of a mutiny b/t coaches, modkins has no illusions that this is "his" offense, cause its not. By putting a young guy in place chan has assured himself a stable staff that he can mold.

At some point, everybody needs to get an opportunity, this is that opportunity for modkins, he gets to learn from a very good offensive coach, and down the road, if things work out, he will either get full control of the offense, or move on, either way its good for modkins.

Thanks for responding Bill. I must say I do enjoy your post even though I don't agree with many of them.

I am just scared and worried about having an OC that is in the "learning" stage. I think I would be more comfortable with an OC who was experienced, can add something new to coach Gailey's scheme/mindset, someone who will appropriately challange a coaches decision, etc...I just don't see this happening with Mokins.... Seems like Chan is going to have to "do it all" on offense and that is one BIG task.

It's a lot for Gailey to do, but I'd rather see him this involved than the apparent disassociation that Jauron displayed.

I am not a fan of Chan or Buddy, nor do I think they have been effective to date. That being said, the decision to serve as offensive coordinator makes considerable sense. The weakest area of the team is the offensive, torn by dissension, lack of talent (particularly in the offensive line) and little guidance for inexperienced qb's. Offense has been Chan's strength...so he is going to area of weakness and applying his strength. The obvious question is what happens to a new and developing defense, but I suppose that Chan has a ton of confidence in the guy masterminding the 3-4. I don't think the problem is that chan has too much on his plate. I think the problem is that he doesn't have enough on the roster.

I am not a fan of Chan or Buddy, nor do I think they have been effective to date. That being said, the decision to serve as offensive coordinator makes considerable sense. The weakest area of the team is the offensive, torn by dissension, lack of talent (particularly in the offensive line) and little guidance for inexperienced qb's. Offense has been Chan's strength...so he is going to area of weakness and applying his strength. The obvious question is what happens to a new and developing defense, but I suppose that Chan has a ton of confidence in the guy masterminding the 3-4. I don't think the problem is that chan has too much on his plate. I think the problem is that he doesn't have enough on the roster.

Great line.

It's a lot for Gailey to do, but I'd rather see him this involved than the apparent disassociation that Jauron displayed.

Exactly right. I like that Chan is doing double duty. His name and rep are on the line and he's making it clear it's his team and his offense. I for one can't wait to see what he can do with the albeit limited talent we have. But this question is a legit one by the OP.

Exactly right. I like that Chan is doing double duty. His name and rep are on the line and he's making it clear it's his team and his offense. I for one can't wait to see what he can do with the albeit limited talent we have. But this question is a legit one by the OP.

It just doesn't have a legit answer before pre season even starts.