If we beat the Titans, do we win the Superbowl in 2000?

I don't disagree that the decision should have been made earlier. But again in that playoff game, RJ left the field with the lead, only to see the ST's lose the game. Blaming RJ is like blaming Flutie for losing to the Dols in the playoffs the year before, because he got sacked and fumbled on the last play of the game.

But RJ also left 16 seconds on the clock. Rookie mistake.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me I'm missing the sarcasm button here. The O let the time run down to 1 second on the play clock just as they should have done to avoid moving the FG attempt five yards back. At least that's my recollection.

And, as everyone knows, the final play of any half can take as long as it takes to complete regardless of the time left on the game clock.

GO BILLS!!!

From what I remember, the decision was made not to run another play, because one of the Titans pulled off Johnson's shoe, forcing I'd to kick the fg with time left

From what I remember, the decision was made not to run another play, because one of the Titans pulled off Johnson's shoe, forcing I'd to kick the fg with time left

If I also remember correctly, the FG was kicked on 3rd down. Huge mistake not going for another quick run play/knee down and getting the FG unit out there. I don't remember if we had a time out left or not, but the FG unit could have rushed out and kicked a FG. The Broncos did that to us in the 2007 season opener with 10 seconds left on the clock and got a last second FG.

If I also remember correctly, the FG was kicked on 3rd down. Huge mistake not going for another quick run play/knee down and getting the FG unit out there. I don't remember if we had a time out left or not, but the FG unit could have rushed out and kicked a FG. The Broncos did that to us in the 2007 season opener with 10 seconds left on the clock and got a last second FG.

Once again, gotta disagree. It's SOP for coaches to elect to kick a game ending FG with an extra down just in case there's a penalty. Happens all the time. That's strictly a coach's decision and comes right out of the manual. Bottom line is the Bills left the field with the lead and it didn't matter how much time was left on the clock for the Titans to return the ensuing kick-off. Can't put any of that on RJ. He left the field with the lead and one of the best defenses to shut them down with 16 seconds left. Shame our D never got the chance.

GO BILLS!!!

If the decision had to have been made to switch QB's, it should have been done by week 8 at the very latest, not going into the playoffs. With the O-line being used to Flutie's snap count, there were many false start penalties, which backed up the offense into the endzone and the Titans got a sack on Johnson. Johnson was good at playing great for 1 game, then sucking for a bunch more. Johnson sucked for 58 minutes of the game vs the Titans. His fumble deep on our side of the field, was turned into a TD by the Titans offense on the next drive. So, between his fumble & sack in the endzone, he was responsible for 9 points against the Bills. Even Wade Phillips said on the Top 10 QB controversies "In Hindsight, Doug would have won us the game." Not only are fans saying it was the wrong decision, but NFL reporters and the horses mouth himself Wade Phillips have said it was the wrong decision. Ralph & Wade got greedy at the wrong time, they wanted more points out of the offense, but were too stupid to realize it was the absolute worst time to make the decision.

In reference to the fumble you mentioned: Jevon Kearse lined up at defensive end, and rushed untouched to the quarterback. The (injured) offensive tackle didn't slow him down at all. (If memory serves, Kearse arrived at Johnson's blindside.)

A play like that is a symptom of a problem at OT, not a problem at QB. After we got the injured starting tackles out of the game, and replaced them with their uninjured backups, the situation on the OL became less bad than it had been. I don't remember any DLs rushing untouched to the passer after the backups had been inserted.