Buffalo Bills wasted money

Of course you can't release some of the guys that are currently under contract. That doesn't mean that you can't move them though.

The Bills need to find a sucker to unload Bledsoe on. Maybe Parcells and the Cowboys.

Troy Vincent also is a hard case. If he doesn't take a pay cut they should try to trade him as well.

Schobel you're stuck with. theblackbear already said that.

And

Who said Coy Wire was a good special teams player? Probably the same people that said he would make a good free safety.

Even if he was a good special teams player (he isn't) you still want your special teamers to be down the road starters. Wire will never be a starting defensive back and he's not a good enough special teamer to keep him forever for just that. That's the bottom line.

theblackbear said defensive is not a major need because the Bills can NOT release Aaron Schobel. The mistake there was in giving him a new contract. The Bills could be better at defensive but the position is not killing them.

Sure you can say Donahoe is a genius for drafting Terrence McGee because he knew he would be a great return man but no one would believe you. If he thought that he wouldn't have brought in Brown to return kicks last year.

theblackbear's not even going to touch the Haggins and Crowell are both good special teamers comment. You're self checked on that one homie!

B)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because sooner or later,

someone will get hurt & then Wire will be in at S again. :ph34r:  :w00t:

I agree with theblackbear, Wire needs to leave town.

142907[/snapback]

You can bring in another S and move Wire to 3rd string at S. But I would be cautious about unnecessarily blowing a hole in the special teams.

Before the opening game against the Jets in 2002 Donahoe replaced two or three special teams players. Anyone remember how that turned out?

theblackbear finds it quite humorous how so many fans have been crying to keep Coy Wire over the years.

"Move the collegiate linebacker to NFL strong safety. No, no, no move him to Free Safety now. No that's not it either. Lets make him the new Steve Tasker and keep him just as a special teamer and 6th string safety." - (Wire backers) :lol:

Wake up and smell the plant water with egg shells in it. Your boy stinks!

B)

Who said Coy Wire was a good special teams player? Probably the same people that said he would make a good free safety.

Even if he was a good special teams player (he isn't) you still want your special teamers to be down the road starters. Wire will never be a starting defensive back and he's not a good enough special teamer to keep him forever for just that. That's the bottom line.

theblackbear said defensive is not a major need because the Bills can NOT release Aaron Schobel. The mistake there was in giving him a new contract. The Bills could be better at defensive but the position is not killing them.

Sure you can say Donahoe is a genius for drafting Terrence McGee because he knew he would be a great return man but no one would believe you. If he thought that he wouldn't have brought in Brown to return kicks last year.

theblackbear's not even going to touch the Haggins and Crowell are both good special teamers comment. You're self checked on that one homie

Well this proves that the Blackbear is nothing but a worthless hack.

The Blackbear must believe that the Bills have the best special teams unit in the league not because of the player's performance, but because of MAGIC.

Would the Blackbear be so cavilier about cutting players from other #1 units in the league, like the Colts offense? Or the Ravens Defense?

Probably not, which means that the Blackbear underestimates the importance of special teams.

And Blackbear must not have read any of Terrence McGee's predraft bio, which said he could be a solid return man before he developed into a starting CB.

In fact Blackbear, Aikens, Crowell, Haggins, and McGee were all listed as steller special teams performers in college. Again Blackbear misses the obvious point that drafting good special teams players results in good special teams play.

The Blackbear must not remember that Antonio Brown got the job because of his steller preseason performance, and that at the end of the last season, McGee was inserted into the return game, after Brown's mediocre showing in the regular season.

Perhaps the Blackbear doesn't remember how Marv Levy focused on special teams, and used them as a weapon to get to 4 SBs.

jad1 remembers, and jad1 says that jeopardizing the STs with foolish roster cuts doesn't make any sense.

Travis will be traded (for a 2nd at BEST now)

I really don't see travis getting us a 2nd rd pick, especialy with all of the RBs that will become available. Plus the fact that some of the better RBs ore coming in the 2nd -4th rd on draft day. I am hoping for a high 3rd or a package deal with a player like Josh Reed to climb into the second rd. It will more likely be a late 3rd or early 4th. I wouldn't trade him at all. He makes too little and is worth too much. I'd hate to see Joe Burns starting if Willis get banged up.

Still talking about Crowell and Haggins as good special teamers. Now that's funny! :lol:

Players coming out of college are called good special team candidates because they aren't considered possible starters.

Man ..... theblackbear thought you knew!

You really don't want to take theblackbear on when it comes to draft talk.

TRUST!!

B)

Still talking about Crowell and Haggins as good special teamers.  Now that's funny!   :lol:

Players coming out of college are called good special team candidates because they aren't considered possible starters. 

TRUST!! 

B)

143015[/snapback]

Haggins???

Does the BlackBear mean Mario Haggan?

Maybe the BlackBear should learn the player's name before disrespecting him?

Still talking about Crowell and Haggins as good special teamers.  Now that's funny!   :lol:

TRUST!! 

B)

143015[/snapback]

So Wire sucks, Haggan sucks, and Crowell sucks on the special teams, but they have the #1 kick coverage team in the NFL.

When you throw in the kicker, that's 4 players who suck at covering kicks out of 11.

So Blackbear, self-proclaimed genius and saviour of TSW, tell me, how can the Bills have the best kick coverage team in the NFL, with only 7 good players covering kicks?

When you can explain that to me, maybe I'll listen to your worthless babble on the draft, and you can also explain how you missed that McGee was drafted as kick returner.

Blackbear, you're 2 seconds away from the ignore button, you worthless blowhard windbag. Your knowledge is underwhelming, to say the least.

The Buffalo Bills have one of the best OVERALL special teams because they use STARTERS on their special teams and not just bench players. They also have a good special teams coach in Bobby April.

Angelo Crowell and Mario Haggan (Haggins - whatever) are just two clowns that cause more harm than good. How many penalty yards do those two guys have alone?

Holding / Block in the back scrubs! Get a clue.

B)

Of course you can't release some of the guys that are currently under contract.  That doesn't mean that you can't move them though. 

The Bills need to find a sucker to unload Bledsoe on.  Maybe Parcells and the Cowboys. 

B)

142919[/snapback]

I was merely responding to what you said as this where you said you would start which I took to mean right now (completely senseless) or as soon as the season was over (merely partially senseless suggestions). I'm glad to see you already backtracking from some of the bad ideas in your earlier posts as readers look to find a few sensible nuggets.

Certainly if you wish to provide a prescription that should be taken as rational then it needs to be more fully explained and put forward with the many caveats which reality will make necessary rather than putting ideas forward as obvious stone cold locks if only the people who are fortunate to be paid to spend to much time on this were as smart as those of us who spend too much time on this for no money.

Specifically regardinfg some of your comments in this post:

1. Finding a sucker to take Bledsoe would be great but this involves someone else deciding to take an action which we cannot control. We need to plan on what we can do alone even if we don't find a Mike Lynn under some rock. After the NE debacle I was certainly set to cut Bledsoe as soon as was possible (which for us it will involve cap management pain even with delaying his cut to June 2005 and making him a cap casualty. However, the team has really stepped up in ST and D performance the last two weeks and shown that they can win laughers even on the road against playoff level teams even with Bledsoe playing badly. Further, the weakness of our remaining opponents makes it quite likely that this team will actually improve from last year's horrible record to at least 8-8, probably 9-7 and with incredible luck even 10-6.

Sitll in my mind because Bledsoe's play beyond the threat he provides will not account for these wins I see this record as no reason to bank on him as our QB who will take us toward or to the SB. Still at 9-7 I think he can be a reasonable placeholder until our QB of the future gets ready and supplants him. The Bills need make no decision now and should wait until the reality of the rest of the season happens before making a decision on how to proceed for 2005. The QB decision will have to wait in terms of cuts until June 2005 anyway.

The only decision at QB which needs to be made now is how do you develop JP to make the future come as quickly as it can. I agree that JP MUST play in order to develop. However, I flat out disagree with ICE that playing is the ONLY way he will improve. As best as I can tell JP still does not have adequate command and control of the Bills and NFL offenses and defenses not to hurt his development, build good chemistry with Evans and other Bills of the future and to win games (in the end this is what sells tickets and what MM was hired to do, one cannot toss this notion aside based on some plan and hope to develop the ability to win in the future, you have to balance this). I say start JP when he is ready and not a moment sooner or a moment later. I hope he plays well enough in garbage time and in practice that he merits a start this year when we are mathematically done. If not I know that he can play even if he is not starting and I would plan on doing as much as I can this year, but other QBs (Pennington, Brady) have developed into playoff capable QBs without ever starting and if JP is as good as we hope/think he is, the garbage time, whatever starts his quality of play dictates, playing at NFL speeds and against nFL level talents in practice, and playing in real games next pre-season will have to and can suffice.

I hope we find a rube trade with but one cannot count on this and I develop JP as fast as I can and if he supplants Bledsoe with no starts in his second season as Brady did with Drew, takes over for him never having startes but a season earlier than Pennnington had next year I think this can work.

2. Troy Vincent is a medical performance issue- If he can come back and play at the level he was at when we signed him (or the downhill side of a Pro Bowl career) then fine. If McGee learns how to play NFL CB and Vincent is able to perform at S that is fine also. If he can't perform and needs to retire with an injury settlement so be it. However, we have needs and his cap hit will be too large in terms of dead space for a cut.

3. Schobel- you are right this is a non-issue. He is what he is. I think he and the LDEs need to be supplemented with a cap casualty DE who plays the same role Jim Jeffcoat played for us. This can be done practically and affordably.

4. I am also willing to say goodbye to Wire, but I have no animosity toward him because he did the best he could with GW using him for things he could not do and we have done a horrible job training him. I have no probelm keeping him at about the same cap management hit he has now but would not increase his salary when he becomes an FA. In terms of assessing his play he is not the starting safety we needed and proved subject to critical brain farts when we asked him to play an ST role he was never trained properly for. Yet, he is an important part of an ST this year which is a weapon for us. I do not pay gim more but have no problem with the output of the current ST Wire is big part of at its current cost.

The Buffalo Bills have one of the best OVERALL special teams because they use STARTERS on their special teams and not just bench players.  They also have a good special teams coach in Bobby April.   

Angelo Crowell and Mario Haggan (Haggins - whatever) are just two clowns that cause more harm than good.  How many penalty yards do those two guys have alone? 

Holding / Block in the back scrubs!  Get a clue. 

B)

143110[/snapback]

Blackbear, I can't wait until you meet Ice. You both think you know everything...you both think the rest of us don't know sh--...and when you get called out for actually knowing so much less than the rest of us, you use phrases like "get a clue."

CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!

theblackbear never said he KNOWS everything and theblackbear hasn't called anyone here a Dumb-Dumb. (yet)

theblackbear knows what he knows and that's what theblackbear comments on. If you can prove theblackbear wrong on anything theblackbear says go for it.

But ...

You better pack a lunch June Bug! theblackbear backs up everything he says.

B)

The Buffalo Bills have one of the best OVERALL special teams because they use STARTERS on their special teams and not just bench players.  They also have a good special teams coach in Bobby April.   

Angelo Crowell and Mario Haggan (Haggins - whatever) are just two clowns that cause more harm than good.  How many penalty yards do those two guys have alone? 

Holding / Block in the back scrubs!  Get a clue. 

B)

143110[/snapback]

Starters on STs? Let's see. Haggen, Wire, Crowell, Stammer, Dorenbos, Peters, Burns, are the guys I saw covering punts and kicks against Seattle. Add Lindell or Moorman, and that's EIGHT non starters.

I'm not exactly sure who the remaining 3 or 4 guys covering kicks and punts are, but lets, for your sake, say they're starters.

In your opinion, 3 or 4 (not sure if Dorenbos covers kickoffs) starters make the Bills the #1 coverage unit in the league?

That would be freakin amazing. All's it takes are those starters to make up for almost 3/4 of the remaining coverage teams, who, according to you, suck.

Nice try Blackbear. Watch the Bills play this week. They actually play almost no starters on special teams. They don't have to, because of guys like Crowell, Haggan, and Wire.

theblackbear will do one better. He'll look at all the previous Bills games all over again and see exactly who the special teams players are. theblackbear has every Bills game on DVD.

And

Funny how you didn't bring up that theblackbear also gave credit to Bobby April. Starters playing special teams is not the entire issure.

theblackbear is also talking about the entire special teams not just coverage teams.

How many teams would have their starting middle linebacker back on punt and kickoff returns?

B)

Wasted is right. Refering to the time I just spent reading this thread :lol: Appreciate the opinions Blackbear but those are some real "reach" player overviews you have there that are obviously not based too deeply in actual obvservation of players.

theblackbear will do one better.  He'll look at all the previous Bills games all over again and see exactly who the special teams players are.  theblackbear has every Bills game on DVD. 

And

Funny how you didn't bring up that theblackbear also gave credit to Bobby April.  Starters playing special teams is not the entire issure. 

theblackbear is also talking about the entire special teams not just coverage teams.  

How many teams would have their starting middle linebacker back on punt and kickoff returns? 

B)

143142[/snapback]

Nice to see Blackbear is going to check the tape instead of continuing to talk out of his ass.

Bobby April is a smart coach, but even a smart coach needs players, witness April's tenure in St. Louis.

And if the Blackbear believes it's such a good idea to use the starting MLB to cover kicks, why not use the entire starting defense to do the same?

Because the smart coach April realizes he has good special teams players in Wire Crowell, and Haggin, and doesn't need to needlessly risk the health of the starters.

Check the tapes Blackbear. I'll be surprised if you find starters other than Clements and Fletcher on the special teams units.