Which quarterback are you pulling for ultimately

Who would you like to succeed?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to succeed?

• Trent Edwards
    • Brian Brohm
    • Ryan Fitz

I actually voted Trent. I'd like to see Brohm backing him up. I just want Trent to either sink or swim. The Jauron/Schoenert/Van Pelt excuses are gone. He's got good running backs and good receivers. Most QBs in the league play with less-than-stellar lines. If Trent doesn't show "it" very early on, bring on Brohm.

Coolest thing about this offseason that I haven't felt in many years is that I actually trust Chan Gailey to make the right decision. Whomever takes the first snap on opening day, I'll feel good that Gailey made the decision and that QB is the best choice.

Go Bills!

The O-Line is still a huge question mark... ( esp tackle)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not 2nd round QBs. Notice how nobody could successfully answer the question posed earlier about 2nd round QBs.

It's not the Packers' roster decision that they only kept only 2 QBs that tells the story, it's the fact that a high profile QB 1 year removed from being a 2nd round pick got waived and not a single team put in a claim. It's the fact that when GB decided to keep 2 QBs they couldn't get any team to give them a pick for Brohm before he went on waivers. The Brohm fans who "liked him in college" keep spinning it to fit their story, but the fact that nobody wanted Brohm last September is pretty hard to ignore. Guys who flourish elsewhere are not high profile 2nd rounders, cut early in their careers. They are late round to free agent afterthoughts, cut to keep the 2nd round busts around a little longer. I commend GB for having the guts to waive a 2nd round bust & not dragging it out any longer at the expense of a guy who GB could keep who would have flourished elsewhere.

Now the Brohm fans want him to start because he's the only one of the 3 contenders with limited NFL starts & they think, without any evidence, that he could be better than the 2 guys who started last year. He could also be a lot worse, but they'd rather let him stink up the joint and prove to them what GB & the rest of the league already figured out.

Why not go one step further, let's go get another Arena guy, hope he becomes the starter, because he too has not proven in a real NFL game that he can't be a quality NFL starter. At best he can be the next Warner, at worst the next Brohm.

I'll specifically address your bolded text, because I'm one of the people who (all else being equal) would like to see Brohm start. Let's suppose you're right, and that he'll "stink up the joint," thus proving Green Bay was right to cut him. For the sake of argument let's define "stinking up the joint" as being a significant step down from the level of play Edwards would have provided. That kind of step down in QB play could easily cost the Bills 2 - 3 wins they would otherwise have obtained with Edwards under center.

A W/L record that's worse by two or three games puts the Bills that much closer to being able to draft a top-tier QB like Ponder in the 2011 draft. I know I might take some flak for thinking about the draft before the first game of the preseason has been played! But let's face it: this team is riddled with holes, and the draft is a very good way to fill them. In particular, we can be fairly confident that Edwards isn't the answer at QB, and we know that Fitzpatrick isn't the answer. If Brohm isn't the answer either, then odds are we should be drafting a QB with our first round pick of the 2011 draft. (Assuming there's a good one available when we pick.) The higher the Bills' draft position, the better the team's odds of getting the QB they really want.

The hope in starting Brohm is that he'll either "stink up the joint"--thus providing the Bills with vital draft position--or that he'll turn out to be the answer at QB. The worst-case scenario would be for Brohm or for some other QB to play just well enough to keep the Bills out of the early part of the first round, but not well enough to be the answer at QB.

Brohm has not proved or dis-proved his value at QB.

The Packers let Brett Favre go, and he had one of the all time best seasons ever for a QB in 2009, as far as QB rating goes.

{12th best for all you contrarians http://www.pro-football-reference.com/lead...gle_season.htm}

So the Packers deciding to let Brohm go doesn't mean that Brohm is garbage.

Ted Thompson thinks he is the smartest man in the room in every room he enters; sometimes he can actually be wrong.

Brohm has a lot to prove in pre-season to earn the starting job.

Edwards actually looked good in early 2008, but clearly has turned gun shy after the concussion. (I was at the 40 yard line, 10 rows up at the University of Phoenix stadium and I could feel that hit from there. )

The offensive system for the Bills especially in 2009 was complete garbage. Extra conservative and completely disorganized, firing the OC days before Week 1 was world class self destructive behavior.

You can't judge a career by the first 4 games of 2008, but you can see potential exists.

Will this new offense breathe a breath of fresh air in Edwards? Who knows?

Edwards has a lot to prove in pre-season to earn the starting job.

Fitzpatrick is the only known commodity.

Fitzpatrick is a custodian QB. He has proven that with the Bungals and Bills. He doesn't have what it takes to be a winner and put a team on his back. He can execute offensive plays and not turn the ball over to give his teams a chance to win.

He is a good back-up QB. With that Wonderlic he is clearly smart or has the ability to learn information quickly so he is an asset to the coaching staff to help teach developmental QBs. (Its not unlikely you see him on the sidelines as a QB coach or OC in about 10-15 years.)

Levi Brown is completely unknown quantity. He can fling the ball around real good in a wide open offense. (YOU MUST WATCH THE GMAC BOWL LAST YEAR IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST ENTERTAINING FOOTBALL GAMES EVER. IT WAS LIKE AN ARENA FOOTBALL GAME ON A FULL SIZE FIELD.)

Brown has a lot to prove in pre-season to earn a roster spot (he most likely will have a roster spot as he appears to be Chan's pet project but it'd be nice to see him perform well and earn the Roster spot based on performance.)

Its way too early to pick a winner. There is a lot of Practices and Pre-Season action before anyone knows anything about the QB "battle" in Buffalo.

And odds are high that this is just a 1-2 year solution as the "QB of the future" is still probably playing college ball (like usual for Bills' fans.)

I, too, voted Brian Brohm, but that is based on potential, NOT production! The QB race is close to quote someone who knows (Chan Gailey) so the "read between the lines" inference I make is that Brohm/ Fitzpatrick are RIGHT THERE with Trent Edwards. Hence, I am of the mind to follow the axiom that other fans on here seemingly are taking. I've seen the two "experienced" signal callers, and find the choices lacking any real sizzle (more of the same) and Brian Brohm represents a NEW look to a position of NEED! The one thing I don't want to see this year would be musical QB's, so IF one guys earns it outright, I hope they give him plenty of rope before they hang him!! Nothing is worse for a team, IMHO, than a QB merry-go-round. All-in-all, I am hoping for a positive outcome more than a root for X,Y, or Z at any position, let them earn it!!!! GO BILLS!!