WR Spots Wide Open

H2o

Undrafted rookie WR David Nelson has been getting reps with the Bills' first-team offense at OTAs.

Overshadowed by Riley Cooper, Percy Harvin, Louis Murphy, and others at Florida, Nelson is talented enough to make a push for playing time in a weak Bills receiver corps. It sounds like he's ahead of fourth-round pick Marcus Easley. Nelson next needs to move past James Hardy and Steve Johnson.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

The above is supposedly gathered from this article below. Don't see anything about Nelson being "ahead" of Easley.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...ard+(BillBoard)

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

The above is supposedly gathered from this article below. Don't see anything about Nelson being "ahead" of Easley.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...ard+(BillBoard)

Who cares who he's ahead of or behind? Let's face it, Lou Piccone could come back and make this team at WR this season. Evans had better become a superstar this year.

I've been reading most of the articles on the practices this past month, and there have been a lot of rave reviews for Easley - I'd say he's had more praise than any of the other WR's except maybe Steve Johnson. I'd like to see three WR sets with Easley, Johnson, and Evans, mixed up, position wise, along the line, with Nelson at TE - that doesn't sound too bad to me.

Of course the WR position is wide open. All we have is Lee Evans and everyone else is a big question mark. So it only goes to show everyone else has a chance to step it up. Big question is can any of these guys produce. If not Lee will be double teamed and have another pretty crappy year. I am convinced if Lee was on a solid offensive team he would have many pro bowl appearances.

Lee Evans might be the weakest WR of the bunch... think about it...

Steve Johnson- He IS the Fred Jackson of the WR bunch, affordable, good lookin, hard workin, HEART, and good hands.

Easley- big boy, high praise, talented.

Hardy- big boy, hurt/hasn't had a chance nor good coaching on the NFL level, high draft pick; darkhorse potential.

Ros'Ko- Speed/elusiveness, all the talk is about him thus far in pre-season; the jitterbug?

PS- Freddie catches the ball. Spiller will catch the ball. Nelson should have the ball thrown his way this year. Stupar should be on this team (in some capacity), as he has HANDS.

Lee Evans- Speedy, but can never get open. Overpaid (but keeps his mouth SHUT). Have we ever said "build a team around THIS guy, and a championship shall come?" No.

Steve Johnson- He IS the Fred Jackson of the WR bunch, affordable, good lookin, hard workin, HEART, and good hands.

Hardy- big boy, hurt/hasn't had a chance nor good coaching on the NFL level, high draft pick; darkhorse potential.

Ros'Ko- Speed/elusiveness, all the talk is about him thus far in pre-season; the jitterbug?

PS- Freddie catches the ball. Spiller will catch the ball. Nelson should have the ball thrown his way this year. Stupar should be on this team (in some capacity), as he has HANDS.

Lee Evans- Speedy, but can never get open. Overpaid (but keeps his mouth SHUT). Have we ever said "build a team around THIS guy, and a championship shall come?" No.

I couldn't disagree more. Lee Evans is a top notch WR who has been double teamed throughout most of his career. Not to mention he hasn't had many Qb's who would throw the ball down field to him with the exception of JP. Also, our QB's haven't has a lot of time to throw downfield.

I don't think too many of the people here will agree with your post. Nevertheless, your entitled to your opinion.

I think WR is the toughest position to judge in the offseason.

Even through training camp, the reports are hard to digest. Every year, it seems that some undrafted or late round rookies are lighting it up. I think you always have to consider that you're dealing with the most dynamically athletic position. These guys tend to excel in no-pads drills and 7-on-7. When you're watching an otherwise boring scrimmage, what stands out? The guys diving and making one-hand stabs. It's a position stacked with lots of track stars and acrobatic wannabe playmakers. I think it's really hard to predict which of these guys is going to actually excel when it really counts.

I couldn't disagree more. Lee Evans is a top notch WR who has been double teamed throughout most of his career. Not to mention he hasn't had many Qb's who would throw the ball down field to him with the exception of JP. Also, our QB's haven't has a lot of time to throw downfield.

I don't think too many of the people here will agree with your post. Nevertheless, your entitled to your opinion.

:beer: I sooooo agree with you!

I am tired of the Lee Evans' bashers especially when they have nothing to go by.

Last season there were games when the ball was thrown to him only one or two times. It seemed that especially with Fitz that it was all about getting the ball to TO if the ball was going to be thrown more than 5 yards in the air. Of course there was the Jauron theory of offense that encouraged the short dump passes, which are not the strenght of any premium receiver such as Evans. Coach Dick had great scehmes to throw the ball 5 yards on third down when it was third and 7 or 8.

And, of course there are the questions as to whether any QB other than JL could throw the ball more than 10 yards in the air and wether the line could block long enough to get a decent long pass in the air.

Lee Evans would defnitely be the #1 receiver on most NFL teams ... nowthe mystery is who will be getting the most playing time with him on the Bills.

My current bet amongst these GOOD young players is Steve Johnson followed by Hardy with Easely coming on strong. Gailey said he'd keep FIVE receivers today. So #1 - Evans #2 - Johnson #3 - Hardy #4 - Easley and #5 Roscoe. I can see Naaman on PS. But keeping only five means that the battle should intensify and maybe a dAvid Nelson or one of the other guys can slip in. From the coaches comment I am betting he is going to keep 3 or maybe even 4 TE's (Nelson, Stupar, Matthews, and Shouman).

GO BILLS!! :beer:

In press conference, Gailey says likely to keep 5 WR on roster. This will have to be one of the most difficult decisions to make as there is definitely a lot of talent at WR. It's hard to pick 5 of the following 10 players and say "see ya":

Lee Evans

Roscoe Parrish

Steve Johnson

James Hardy

Felton Huggins

Chad Jackson

Marcus Easley

Naaman Roosevelt

David Nelson

Donald Jones

In press conference, Gailey says likely to keep 5 WR on roster. This will have to be one of the most difficult decisions to make as there is definitely a lot of talent at WR. It's hard to pick 5 of the following 10 players and say "see ya":

Lee Evans

Roscoe Parrish

Steve Johnson

James Hardy

Felton Huggins

Chad Jackson

Marcus Easley

Naaman Roosevelt

David Nelson

Donald Jones

Do you mean talent or potential? Cause I only see one guy who has done anything on an NFL field....

I would not call Evans the weakest of the bunch, but I agree that if he thinks he's guaranteed a roster spot, he'd better think again. If some of the younger guys really step it up during training camp and the preseason, Evans could be trade bait. I don't think this will happen. I think the Bills will retain Evans because of his experience and because he's a very good receiver. However, I kind of laugh when I see these interviews with Evans where he's sort of smug with his experience and how he's helping the younger guys out. Evans better focus on keeping his own job because the competition in training camp will be fierce.

Also, I bet the Bills end up keeping 6 WR on the roster. Gailey probably said 5 to make them compete even harder.

I would not call Evans the weakest of the bunch, but I agree that if he thinks he's guaranteed a roster spot, he'd better think again. If some of the younger guys really step it up during training camp and the preseason, Evans could be trade bait. I don't think this will happen. I think the Bills will retain Evans because of his experience and because he's a very good receiver. However, I kind of laugh when I see these interviews with Evans where he's sort of smug with his experience and how he's helping the younger guys out. Evans better focus on keeping his own job because the competition in training camp will be fierce.

Also, I bet the Bills end up keeping 6 WR on the roster. Gailey probably said 5 to make them compete even harder.

How dare a veteran WR try to help some of the younger guys on the team!

Is there a difference? Can someone with no talent have potential?

Smart as s. I never said anything about "no talent." Where did that come from? Obviously, all of are talented or they wouldn't be where they are now? The question is can any of them be productive NFL WR's? (except Evans) None of them to date has done much of anything including Parrish...IMO, this guys have "potential" to be productive wide receivers at the NFL level. Bottom line is I think our WR roster sucks and is a weakness of this team.

IMO, your post implies that our WR core is strong by saying we have a lot of talent there. (Maybe I am wrong there) Couldn't you make that statement regarding any NFL WR roster. Point two, to imply Evans better "watch his back sort of speak" is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Thanks for the laugh. Do you really follow the Bills?

Please don't take my words out of context.

I would not call Evans the weakest of the bunch, but I agree that if he thinks he's guaranteed a roster spot, he'd better think again.

Evans is a hard worker and is not likely to coast, believing he is guaranteed a roster spot.

With that said, Evans is a stone cold lock to make the team and be the #1 WR on the team. Bet your house on it.

Evans is a hard worker and is not likely to coast, believing he is guaranteed a roster spot.

With that said, Evans is a stone cold lock to make the team and be the #1 WR on the team. Bet your house on it.

Dean well said.

How dare a veteran WR try to help some of the younger guys on the team!

You missed my point. I have no issue with him helping the younger guys. A veteran guy who is a team player SHOULD help the younger guys out. The point I was ATTEMPTING to make (but apparently failed at) was Evans considers himself untouchable. And, to a degree, he's correct. His experience alone gives him the edge over the rest of the gang. HOWEVER, he can't rest on his laurels, so to say. He may get half-way though training camp and realize that his status as the #1 wideout could be in jeopardy. Am I saying this will happen? No. I'm only saying that I think the Bills have some genuine talent at WR that COULD really develop. We won't know until preseason. I'm only saying Evans needs to work hard and EARN his right to continue to proclaim himself as the #1 wideout. At this time, until proven otherwise, he IS the #1 wideout, but keep an eye on this group of WR's -- may very well be some competition to Evans.

Smart as s. I never said anything about "no talent." Where did that come from? Obviously, all of are talented or they wouldn't be where they are now? The question is can any of them be productive NFL WR's? (except Evans) None of them to date has done much of anything including Parrish...IMO, this guys have "potential" to be productive wide receivers at the NFL level. Bottom line is I think our WR roster sucks and is a weakness of this team.

IMO, your post implies that our WR core is strong by saying we have a lot of talent there. (Maybe I am wrong there) Couldn't you make that statement regarding any NFL WR roster. Point two, to imply Evans better "watch his back sort of speak" is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Thanks for the laugh. Do you really follow the Bills?

Please don't take my words out of context.

You asked me if I really meant "talent". That was my way of saying yes -- I intended to use the word "talent". I'll give you that anyone who is on a roster at the NFL level has talent. However, there are still degrees of talent. With that said, I think the Bills have a higher degree of young (yes, unproven) talent at WR than they've had in recent past years. Yes, I follow the team every day. I watch all the videos, read all the stories. I've followed this team closely for 40 years now. You are right -- no one has proven a thing. Evans is the only proven wideout. But there are some good guys who have been around for a couple of years now and are ready to breakout given the opportunity -- namely Steve Johnson. Even Huggins has looked good. But looking good at the OTA's doesn't mean a whole lot. I just have a high degree of confidence in the young WR's. I think Nix has an eye for talent which is why I believe the Bills' rookie talent could really prove to be something. I also think talent won't be squandered in Gailey's system. Only time will tell. Evans is safe for this year, but he really needs to have a strong 2010 season. You can make excuses for his past (relative) lack of production -- poor coaching, poor OL, etc -- and much of that is legitimate. But Evans really needs to have a big year -- a 1000 yard season (or reasonably close to that). Evans is safe this year, but unless he really starts to produce, I wouldn't consider him a lock in 2011.

You missed my point. I have no issue with him helping the younger guys. A veteran guy who is a team player SHOULD help the younger guys out. The point I was ATTEMPTING to make (but apparently failed at) was Evans considers himself untouchable. And, to a degree, he's correct. His experience alone gives him the edge over the rest of the gang. HOWEVER, he can't rest on his laurels, so to say. He may get half-way though training camp and realize that his status as the #1 wideout could be in jeopardy. Am I saying this will happen? No. I'm only saying that I think the Bills have some genuine talent at WR that COULD really develop. We won't know until preseason. I'm only saying Evans needs to work hard and EARN his right to continue to proclaim himself as the #1 wideout. At this time, until proven otherwise, he IS the #1 wideout, but keep an eye on this group of WR's -- may very well be some competition to Evans.

Evans is untouchable. If case you haven't noticed, he's the only proven NFL WR we currently have on the roster. I'm high on some of the young guys, especially Stevie Johnson, but they are no where near Evans' class. At no point during this season will Evans' #1 status be in jeopardy.

Just because a guy knows he's the locked #1 WR doesn't mean he's all of a sudden going to slack off. Evans has never done this in the past so why would he start now?