Another Cut Player the Bills Should Go After Topic

Wizard

I know that many topics come up on this board about "let's go get player X" via free agency or because "player X" was cut, the Bills should sign him.

This is one of the few times where I think McCray fits the "Bill" for Buffalo's defense. He's 28, 6'6 and 260 lbs. He primarily is a rushing defensive end. Also, as several media outlets (including ESPN) have reported that he started all the Saints playoff games.

The Bills need a rushing defensive end to make the 3-4 work. I'm not counting on Kelsay or Schobel (to get out of his retirement talks), and Carrington is just a rookie.

A starter on a high quality team with playoff experience that happens to be a reasonably young DE with measurables that Gailey looks for...let's bring this guy in for a look.

I know that many topics come up on this board about "let's go get player X" via free agency or because "player X" was cut, the Bills should sign him.

This is one of the few times where I think McCray fits the "Bill" for Buffalo's defense. He's 28, 6'6 and 260 lbs. He primarily is a rushing defensive end. Also, as several media outlets (including ESPN) have reported that he started all the Saints playoff games.

The Bills need a rushing defensive end to make the 3-4 work. I'm not counting on Kelsay or Schobel (to get out of his retirement talks), and Carrington is just a rookie.

A starter on a high quality team with playoff experience that happens to be a reasonably young DE with measurables that Gailey looks for...let's bring this guy in for a look.

Having not seen many saints games, I can only judge by what I read. From ESPN insider, since you mentioned them:

"His best fit is probably with a 4-3 team that can use him in a time-share to generate some edge pressure on passing downs, and there are several teams who could use help there."

I think we need more 3-4 guys not 4-3 guys. Not to say that he wouldnt be successful, but seems not a true fit for our D. Not to mention I doubt he would go from winning a SB in New Orleans and choose Buffalo over other teams.

Bruce Smith excepted, 3 - 4 DEs are NOT pass rushers. Check it out in last year's sack stats. Where is the first 3 - 4 DE in those stats?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go

The first I can find is Randy Starks at #23 with 7 sacks. Randy Starks weighs in at 305 pounds. The sacks in a 3 - 4 defense come from the OLBs, overwhelmingly. DEs in a 3 - 4 scheme must be very big, like Starks, and it's really really unusual to find guys that size who can rush the passer seriously.

Your guy, at 260, is at least 30 pounds too light to play DE in a 3 - 4 scheme.

sounds like Ryan Denny

McCray is not just some guy whose name you have heard before. He is a demon pass rusher who plays pretty nasty. He beat up on Kurt Warner and Brett Favre in the playoffs. Scheme aside I would think we could find a role for a guy with this skillset - why rule out OLB if he is primarily a pass rusher?

I did some research and found an article that said his coaches didnt always favor him because he would often blow assignments and freelance. FWIW