The Buddy Nix Show

Coach55

If you consider that Buddy Nix was the head of scouting last year in a year we didn't have a GM and this year he was a GM, you can consider that he either picked everyone or heavily influenced the people who were picked in the draft or free agency.

Think about who we acquired in the past 2 years that could be starters:

RB - Spiller

TE - Nelson

WR - Easley

LT - Meredith

LT - Wang

LG - Levitre

C - Wood

C - Hangartner

RG - Calloway

RT - Green

DT - Troup

DE - Carrington

DE - Edwards

OLB - Maybin

ILB - Batten

ILB - Davis

OLB - Moats

S - Byrd

CB - Florence

Effectively, by next draft, Nix will have replaced every starter.

In theory this gives one a target list for the positions to be filled in the next draft with an FA supplement (overlay).

QB - FA acquisition strikes me as the most reasonable option- if one is drafting your QB of the future then your strategy calls for making the playoffs finally in 2012.

WR- Evans is the existing answer

DT- interesting that Stroud is being moved outside it appears

CB- McKelvin better develop

SS- whither Whitner

FB- 3 WR as basic set?

In theory this gives one a target list for the positions to be filled in the next draft with an FA supplement (overlay).

QB - FA acquisition strikes me as the most reasonable option- if one is drafting your QB of the future then your strategy calls for making the playoffs finally in 2012.

SS- whither Whitner

FB- 3 WR as basic set?

Given the talent we currently have, if Gailey is any good at maximizing QB's, we may have a team.

SS- whither Whitner

FB- 3 WR as basic set?

Just starting a rookie QB in 2011 does not eliminate you from playoff contention. Several teams have accomplished deep runs into the playoff's with rookie QB's. You need a strong D and a very good run game, with some smart play from your QB. Avoid the turn overs!

Just starting a rookie QB in 2011 does not eliminate you from playoff contention. Several teams have accomplished deep runs into the playoff's with rookie QB's. You need a strong D and a very good run game, with some smart play from your QB. Avoid the turn overs!

Exactly. If you have a Pittsburgh Steeler quality team when the rode to an SB win with RoboQB in the starting QB role you can do a lot.

However, there was no QB we could have taken in this draft (particularly if we had not only passed on improved difference-making with Spiller but also given up the additional resources necessary to be able to draft Bradford) would ave made this team a winner.

Likewise we will have to see what reality dictates this season, but it is hard for me to see anyway this team develops into the juggernaut which would be needed to carry even the best of the 2011 QBs to victory next year.

My strong sense is that if we are forced to draft a stud QB to be our savior next draft it likely is a decision to condemn this team to missing the playoffs until the 2012 season at the earliest and probably later.

I thought Nix was going to have his own TV show. That would make for some great television.

they'll have to include subtitling for the southern-impaired:

Nixy: "THENYA GOT TOOO GOZZZAT CAINT PLAAAY"

... this produces a situation wherein there is ineffectiveness at more than one position.

~AS