Andrew Luck

Bagel

I have seen a number of posts that contemplate the Bills drafting Andrew Luck next year. First, I understand the excitement. I was at Stanford’s spring game last year when Andrew was throwing touchdown passes like Dan Marino in 1984. He is 6’4” 235 with a great arm – perfect size and arm strength for Orchard Park. As a freshman he threw for 13 touchdowns and 4 interceptions, with an average yards per attempt of 9. He was also second on the team in rushing, averaging 5.8 yards per carry. In addition, he has tremendous field awareness, footwork and accuracy. Andrew is a great kid, humble and a natural leader. BUT, please note two items:

1. Experience. Andrew has only played in 12 college games. Moreover, he played behind a dominant offensive line and handed the ball off to Toby Gerhart, the Doak Walker winner as the best running back in college football. Andrew may be good, great or terrible. It’s really too early to tell.

2. Availability. Andrew may not come out in next year’s draft. You may recall Andrew’s father, Oliver, who played at West Virginia and spent most of his 5 year NFL career as a backup to Warren Moon. Oliver is now GM of the Houston Dynamo after spending 10 years in an administrative position with the NFL. This family is not hurting for cash and the early-entry decision will not be driven by a need to support the Luck family.

Andrew takes academics very seriously. He was his high school’s valedictorian (class of 441 students) and is majoring in architectural engineering. If he stays for the 2011 season, Andrew can earn his degree. Also, Andrew’s sister Mary is starting at Stanford in the fall on a volleyball scholarship. Andrew is enjoying himself and receiving pro level coaching in college. He may not leave school after his sophomore season.

In sum, I share the board’s general lack of enthusiasm for our current slate of quarterbacks, but I am more focused on following the collegiate progress of Messrs. Mallett, Locker and Devlin in 2010.

I have seen a number of posts that contemplate the Bills drafting Andrew Luck next year. First, I understand the excitement. I was at Stanford’s spring game last year when Andrew was throwing touchdown passes like Dan Marino in 1984. He is 6’4” 235 with a great arm – perfect size and arm strength for Orchard Park. As a freshman he threw for 13 touchdowns and 4 interceptions, with an average yards per attempt of 9. He was also second on the team in rushing, averaging 5.8 yards per carry. In addition, he has tremendous field awareness, footwork and accuracy. Andrew is a great kid, humble and a natural leader. BUT, please note two items:

1. Experience. Andrew has only played in 12 college games. Moreover, he played behind a dominant offensive line and handed the ball off to Toby Gerhart, the Doak Walker winner as the best running back in college football. Andrew may be good, great or terrible. It’s really too early to tell.

2. Availability. Andrew may not come out in next year’s draft. You may recall Andrew’s father, Oliver, who played at West Virginia and spent most of his 5 year NFL career as a backup to Warren Moon. Oliver is now GM of the Houston Dynamo after spending 10 years in an administrative position with the NFL. This family is not hurting for cash and the early-entry decision will not be driven by a need to support the Luck family.

Andrew takes academics very seriously. He was his high school’s valedictorian (class of 441 students) and is majoring in architectural engineering. If he stays for the 2011 season, Andrew can earn his degree. Also, Andrew’s sister Mary is starting at Stanford in the fall on a volleyball scholarship. Andrew is enjoying himself and receiving pro level coaching in college. He may not leave school after his sophomore season.

In sum, I share the board’s general lack of enthusiasm for our current slate of quarterbacks, but I am more focused on following the collegiate progress of Messrs. Mallett, Locker and Devlin in 2010.

I agree with you on everything you have to say about Luck. I absolutely don't expect him to come out after this year. It would be no surprise if he stayed through graduation.

Right now, I think he's the most intriguing QB in college and IF he continues to improve, he could be the next great one. Oh, and to set Jim Kelly's mind at ease, Luck is a Texan, not a Californian!

I don't recall Andrew's father, Oliver.

Thanks for the info, bagel. I wouldn't have made the connection, but since you brought up his Dad's name, I now remember.

EDIT: I moved from Bflo. to western PA in 1978.

Edited by stuckincincy

I don't recall Andrew's father, Oliver.

Perhaps you know his mother, Lady or his brother that has been lurking along the Bills sideline since the late 90's, Bad?

Go Bills

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand the Luck love-fest. Maybe someone can help me.

He's played one year, and has 13 TDs to 4 INTs in a mediocre conference with the best RB in the country behind him. This a franchise QB makes? A sub-60% completion to boot?

I only watched about three Stanford games last year, but I certainly wasn't blown away by anything I saw. He's a big strong kid -- and he's supposed to be fairly intelligent. If that is our criteria, however, I would say don't waste your time, Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably smarter.

If we're going to take a big, strong kid who can chuck the rock, I'd rather have one that has actually chucked it somewhere:

Ryan Mallett - 30 TDs, 7 INTs, 3,600+ yards in a big boy conference.

Besides the fact that Luck has somehow become the ESPN future's poster-child, can someone please give me a tangible explanation as to why I should jump into the Luck-fest?

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand the Luck love-fest. Maybe someone can help me.

Besides the fact that Luck has somehow become the ESPN future's poster-child, can someone please give me a tangible explanation as to why I should jump into the Luck-fest?

Your skepticism is well reasoned. Here's the probable composite answer you would get.

1) All the measurables (like you mentioned), Big, tall, strong, good foot speed, good arm strength and quick release.

2) Pedigree: Dad had a 5-year NFL football, was a 2nd round pick, has been an upper level sports executive since retiring.

3) Recruited by and playing for Jim Harbaugh, who is widely considered one of the top, young offensive coaches in football.

4) Had a great high school football career racking up big numbers against top competition in the state of Texas. Was highly recruited coming out of high school.

None of these things in and of themselves guarantees success but put the four together and you have someone who probably has a pretty high floor and a very high ceiling.

Yes it's early, but it's hard to imagine that Andrew Luck will not have a good NFL career. Certainly this is what is projected for him.

I suspect he'll stay for his junior season as well. He'll be able to get a degree from an outstanding school as well as three years of coaching under Jim Harbaugh (provided Harbaugh is coach in 2011).

Totally agree with the OP.

He could also leave for the pros, be the #1 overall pick (or close) and be guaranteed 50ish million dollars.

Anyone know his Madden ratings for the 2011 NFL season? That will be an indicator of his true value ...

Also Terrelle Pryor and Christian Ponder could be 1st round prospects.

Terrelle Pryor will be a beast in the NFL. If you watch any Ohio State football games, that kid is clutch, and has all the measurables you can ask for.