Soccer reminder

USA vs. Turkey, 1:30pm ET on ESPN2

Yesterday they met Pres. Obama. Tomorrow they play Turkey. Sunday they fly to S. Africa. One more warm-up game on 6/5 against Australia and then the real thing against England on 6/12.

Tomorrow’s Turkey game should be more encouraging than the Czech game. I expect a much better lineup this time.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two games to get the chemistry down. We should get a pretty good idea what the starting 11 will look like.

My guess:

Altidore (STR), Dempsey (CF)

Donovan (LM), Edu or Clark (CDM), Bradley (CAM), Holden (RM)

Bocanegra (LB), Demerit (CB), Onyewu (CB), Spector (RB)

If Gooch isn't ready, Goodson would be his likely replacement. And if they want Dempsey in at RM over Holden, I can see Gomez going up top to CF.

Two games to get the chemistry down. We should get a pretty good idea what the starting 11 will look like.

My guess:

Donovan (LM), Edu (CDM), Bradley (CAM), Holden (RM)

Bocanegra (LB), Demerit (CB), Onyewu (CB), Spector (RB)

If Gooch isn't ready, Goodson would be his likely replacement. And if they want Dempsey in at RM over Holden, I can see Gomez going up top to CF.

I agree with this completely.

I hope Holden is ready for full speed for 90 minutes. He had a broken leg / ankle (I’ve heard it reported both ways) not too long ago. I love Holden’s playmaking creativity. I also would like to see Feilhaber get quality minutes in the midfield. He’s been very inconsistent over the past few years, but when he is on, I think his touch and vision are world class. (I know that many people do not share this opinion.)

I like Gomez and Buddle as offensive subs. I would have liked Ching too (but that’s another thing I’m in the minority on).

Just watched the highlights...that through ball from the Turkish midfielder on their goal was beautiful!

And looks like PrimaDonovan had a nice game...he should have probably just taken the shot on the Altidore goal, but the pass to Dempsey was nice on the 2nd. Two more weeks!!!!

Nice to see them kind of "get it" as the game progressed. The first half was very sloppy. I was surprised by how excellent Torres and Findley looked in the second half. And Holden came on late and played great. I just love his game!

Again, Bornstein? :lol: :lol: :wallbash::lol: Besides Bornstein, there is exactly one person on the planet who thinks Bornstein deserves to be in the World Cup. Unfortunately, that person is Bob Bradley.

Maybe Onyewu will prove me wrong and get quality minutes in South Africa. We'll take whatever we can get on that back line. It won't always look pretty.

Donovan and Dempsey did not disappoint.

The team fought hard and really improved their quality of play as the game went on. I think this game will be good for their confidence.

The second half was great. This was very good Turkey team they played. Here are a few of my thoughts.

1. Spector is a shell of the player he was last year, thankfully Cherundolo was awesome.

2. IMO, Torres just played himself into the starting 11. Clark was disappointing.

3. Findley surprised me. Maybe he'll have some use after all.

4. When Donovan and Dempsey are on, the US wins. That said, they sucked for the entire first half.

My new lineup....

Holden (LM), Bradley (CM), Torres (CM), Donovan (RM)

Bocanegra (LB), Onyewu (CB), Goodson (CB), Cherundolo (RB)

The second half was great. This was very good Turkey team they played. Here are a few of my thoughts.

1. Spector is a shell of the player he was last year, thankfully Cherundolo was awesome.

2. IMO, Torres just played himself into the starting 11. Clark was disappointing.

3. Findley surprised me. Maybe he'll have some use after all.

4. When Donovan and Dempsey are on, the US wins. That said, they sucked for the entire first half.

My new lineup....

Holden (LM), Bradley (CM), Torres (CM), Donovan (RM)

Bocanegra (LB), Onyewu (CB), Goodson (CB), Cherundolo (RB)

Yes Clark shouldn't start and Bradley should end up being the Defensive midfielder. I also believe that Dempsey should come back to the midfield and place Findley up top. His speed changes the dynamics of this offense, similar to what Davies was able to accomplish. I also agree with what Gringo said regarding Torres. He should probably get the nod over Holden, I love his control and skill set, and he definitely helped us earn that victory over Turkey.

Replace Goodson with Onyewu and Cherundolo for Specter and I think this would be the setup.

Altidore (up top) Findley (up top)

Midfielders - Bradley, Donovan, Dempsey, Torres

Backline - Onyewu, Cherundulo, Bocanegra, Demerrit

REMINDER: USA vs. Australia on Saturday 6/5 at 8:30am ET. Broadcast live on ESPN2.

This is the last warm-up game before the real thing. Apparently Altidore had an injury scare in training. Ankle injury, turned out to not be as serious as it initially looked. He will most likely sit for tomorrow’s friendly but they’re saying he’s no problem to play 6/12 against England.

REMINDER: USA vs. Australia on Saturday 6/5 at 8:30am ET. Broadcast live on ESPN2.

This is the last warm-up game before the real thing. Apparently Altidore had an injury scare in training. Ankle injury, turned out to not be as serious as it initially looked. He will most likely sit for tomorrow’s friendly but they’re saying he’s no problem to play 6/12 against England.

I would think, with the exception of Altidore, that the starting lineup this game could very well be the opening day lineup against England.

I would think, with the exception of Altidore, that the starting lineup this game could very well be the opening day lineup against England.

Three articles on Yahoo's homepage about the world cup just now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/sow_ex...?urn=sow,245513

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged...rld-cup/1401069

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/sow_ex...?urn=sow,245514

The fever is growing

Wow....can't believe this England game is only a week away. I'm getting pretty psyched for it.

Oh, my God, I can't wait!

I realize that if the U.S. loses, it's not the end of the world. They would still likely be able to make it out of the group. But in the unlikely event they pull off the upset, it will be a memory that I will cherish forever! For me, it would be on the level of a Bills Superbowl.

Wow, I'm glad you guys pointed that out....USA v. England a week from Saturday? Holy CRAP MAN!!! I'm so damn psyched! Thankfully I just have to give a day's notice to take PTO, so looks like I'll be leaving early on Saturday :thumbsup:

Just looking over the groups, there are some REALLY interesting matches early on. Wow, I can't believe it's time for the WC again....this is awesome!!!!

Wow, I'm glad you guys pointed that out....USA v. England a week from Saturday? Holy CRAP MAN!!! I'm so damn psyched! Thankfully I just have to give a day's notice to take PTO, so looks like I'll be leaving early on Saturday :thumbsup:

Just looking over the groups, there are some REALLY interesting matches early on. Wow, I can't believe it's time for the WC again....this is awesome!!!!

It's WORLD CUP TIME BABY!!! The thought of it puts chills up my spine. This is even better than the Olympics. Isn't the game at 3ish eastern time? That's plenty of time to get well lathered up :unsure:

It's WORLD CUP TIME BABY!!! The thought of it puts chills up my spine. This is even better than the Olympics. Isn't the game at 3ish eastern time? That's plenty of time to get well lathered up :thumbsup:

I was just checking on that, actually...looks like a 2:30 start time on Saturday....perfect!

And I totally agree, the olympics don't even compare, IMO...I will find a way to watch most of every single match of the entire WC, whereas I barely watch the olympics anymore.

U-S-A!!!! U-S-A!!!!!!!!

It's WORLD CUP TIME BABY!!! The thought of it puts chills up my spine. This is even better than the Olympics. Isn't the game at 3ish eastern time? That's plenty of time to get well lathered up :thumbsup:

Yes, I think so. The ABC broadcast starts at 2:30, but kickoff will probably be 3 or a just after.