Has anyone had work done to there Roof (home)

Depending on what type of roof you have, what kind of shingles you have currently, and what you want done it can vary greatly. Some advice from someone who had it done recently:

1. Get at least three estimates.

2. if you don't have them already, get ridge vents installed.

3. have the old shingles compeltely removed. Some contractors will nail new shingles on top of old.

where roof?

there roof.

See how much more the textured roof shingles are, they improve the look of the house and come in a variety of colors.

my roof had to be torn off completely and rebuilt in 2005. Old house with lots of different angles and 3 layers of asphalt over cedar shakes. 14,500

ouch how much was the monthly payment..

I figure mine is going to cost about half that...just two sides its funny thought because just one half needs it, the part were the wind hits it, the other side is fine.

my roof had to be torn off completely and rebuilt in 2005. Old house with lots of different angles and 3 layers of asphalt over cedar shakes. 14,500

Seems like a fair price for all the work involved. I would guess a 2-3 story home with a 6-12 pitch. Sheeted with 4 ply 1/2 inch plywood. 5 1/2 feet ice and water shield. Flashing and valley work adds t & m. Trash weight I'll guess at 4.3 tons.

Cost of a square of 30 year Good Quality shingles today in WNY $100 with tax. Crappy shingles $87 w/t

forget cost and everything else. you'll pay and arm and a leg and be thankful for when the roofers finally go, and they've not done further damage to your roof. i am not making this up.

the roofers we had were drunk for most of the month they were here. they fought and argued and left a huge mess. and they wound up spending a month here because, in part, the foreman, was hauled into jail on a warrant in Lake Placid of all places.

and two years later, as we were having our eaves cleaned out, we were informed by the cleaner, from another company, that the reason there's standing water in our eaves is not becasue they're plugged but -- they installed the eaves the wrong way, point down from the drain!

good luck.

jw

forget cost and everything else. you'll pay and arm and a leg and be thankful for when the roofers finally go, and they've not done further damage to your roof. i am not making this up.

the roofers we had were drunk for most of the month they were here. they fought and argued and left a huge mess. and they wound up spending a month here because, in part, the foreman, was hauled into jail on a warrant in Lake Placid of all places.

and two years later, as we were having our eaves cleaned out, we were informed by the cleaner, from another company, that the reason there's standing water in our eaves is not becasue they're plugged but -- they installed the eaves the wrong way, point down from the drain!

good luck.

jw

So you don't recommend Hammer? :thumbsup:

That sucks. My experience couldn't have been better. I paid a premium for a well known and respected local company (could have paid $2000 less with someone else), but it was worth it. Dropped off the materials the night before, showed up at 7 am with two crews, complete tear-off, 30 year architectural shingles, yard cleaned up and gone by 6pm. Outside of writing the check, it was painless.

My cousin and his dad both got new roofs out of a storm that blew through here last month. A bolt of lighting hit a tree in my cousins yard and it fell on his front porch, barely damaging the flashing...... it didn't do anything to the roof. American Family came out and just wrote him a check for a whole new roof. After this happened my uncle called them because during the same storm his house was hailed on and sure enough they came out and wrote him a check too for a new roof. I'd call your homeowner's insurance and tell them what happened first. Maybe you aren't as lucky but its worth a shot.

My cousin and his dad both got new roofs out of a storm that blew through here last month. A bolt of lighting hit a tree in my cousins yard and it fell on his front porch, barely damaging the flashing...... it didn't do anything to the roof. American Family came out and just wrote him a check for a whole new roof. After this happened my uncle called them because during the same storm his house was hailed on and sure enough they came out and wrote him a check too for a new roof. I'd call your homeowner's insurance and tell them what happened first. Maybe you aren't as lucky but its worth a shot.

Odd. That sounds like " an act of God" which typically is not covered by ins companys.

good luck.

jw

A month? A good roofing crew should only take a couple days. Hell, my Dad and my brother did my Dads roof in a week by themselves, and they had to haul everything up by hand, they didn't have one of those fancy lifts you see crews use now.

good luck.

jw

Sorry to hear you hired a unprofessional company. When I hire a worker the first thing I say, DON'T bother coming to work if drunk, hungover, or buzzed because you will no longer be working with me. We cover everything with tarps or plywood as needed. Clean up is constantly preformed. All trash picked up, magnet sweeped for nails then we break for lunch. All the shingles must have the same run code (born on date) I love when one of the big companys (salesman sells job large crew shows up and does the tornado job) and they install different shade (not same born on date code) shingles . They stick out like a sore thumb. I love this one house in O.P. near Freeman pond. Beautiful house, relly nice yard, but one bundle of shingles on the house are not even the same color as the main shingle ( Barkwood -Brown- Burnt siena Red Brown) Respect your employer's (the home owner I'm just the middelman) property No swearing, smoker pick up your butts. The nicest comment I got from a former employee was when he called me a sob.