A few thoughts on the draft

MrNix

You can't miss on the first three picks--they have to contribute right away, and it looks like they all will significantly.

1. Gailey must have needed to change his pants after he saw Spiller was still available, and they wasted no time getting the pick in. He makes the O-line and QB automatically better, and will be a mismatch made in heaven.

2. A 3-4 DT was a necessity at #2 or 3. While Cody may have more potential, this guy has the work ethic and attitude.

3. My favorite pick. No Bruce Smith, but better than Phil Hansen.

Anything productive after R3 is gravy.

4. Took a flyer on a flyer. Saw a catch of his (on youtube) that was amazing. Could end up being Lee's best friend eventually.

5. It's hard to refrain from male jocular humor--thank god we no longer have a Johnson at QB. Lots of reviews about his athleticism and potential as an LT. We'll see.

6.a and b. Two motors from small schools. These guys will be special teams hellions this year, and add much depth to the LB core (corps for that guy who whines about spelling).

Lucky 7s. Roll the dice here. Liked the video on Levi. Like the attitude of the tackle soon to be guard.

Overall: It's hard to pick someone from this group who won't make the team or practice squad. One can take the low road and say it's the lack of talent on the roster; I prefer to think they had one Hell of a draft.

Final point: I am very happy they did not draft a QB early; no one in the class of 2010 was going to come in and help this team for at least two more years.

Chao hombres.

You can't miss on the first three picks--they have to contribute right away, and it looks like they all will significantly.

1. Gailey must have needed to change his pants after he saw Spiller was still available, and they wasted no time getting the pick in. He makes the O-line and QB automatically better, and will be a mismatch made in heaven.

2. A 3-4 DT was a necessity at #2 or 3. While Cody may have more potential, this guy has the work ethic and attitude.

3. My favorite pick. No Bruce Smith, but better than Phil Hansen.

Anything productive after R3 is gravy.

4. Took a flyer on a flyer. Saw a catch of his (on youtube) that was amazing. Could end up being Lee's best friend eventually.

5. It's hard to refrain from male jocular humor--thank god we no longer have a Johnson at QB. Lots of reviews about his athleticism and potential as an LT. We'll see.

6.a and b. Two motors from small schools. These guys will be special teams hellions this year, and add much depth to the LB core (corps for that guy who whines about spelling).

Lucky 7s. Roll the dice here. Liked the video on Levi. Like the attitude of the tackle soon to be guard.

Overall: It's hard to pick someone from this group who won't make the team or practice squad. One can take the low road and say it's the lack of talent on the roster; I prefer to think they had one Hell of a draft.

Final point: I am very happy they did not draft a QB early; no one in the class of 2010 was going to come in and help this team for at least two more years.

Chao hombres.

Can't miss on the first three picks? Every team says that and it's just about impossible to do.

Spiller makes the O-line and QB better? Yea, just like TO did.

A DT tackle was a necessity at #2-3. Agreed. But how do you know Troupe has the "wortk ethic and attitude."

Anything after round three is gravy? Polian and Butler regularly counted on late round picks to be important players on the team like Ballard, McKeller, Schultz, Patton, Seals, etc.

How in god's name can you say Carrington is better than Hansen at this point? Hansen was one heck of a player. Carrington hasn't taken one NFL snap.

Let's wait until the pads are on and these guys play against NFL caliber competition before we annoint them. We all hope they can play but show me somerhing on the field first. To expect anything else at this point is just dumb. Just ask Raider fan about their franchise QB they drafted #1 overall four years ago.

Can't miss on the first three picks? Every team says that and it's just about impossible to do.

A DT tackle was a necessity at #2-3. Agreed. But how do you know Troupe has the "wortk ethic and attitude."

Anything after round three is gravy? Polian and Butler regularly counted on late round picks to be important players on the team like Ballard, McKeller, Schultz, Patton, Seals, etc.

How in god's name can you say Carrington is better than Hansen at this point? Hansen was one heck of a player. Carrington hasn't taken one NFL snap.

Let's wait until the pads are on and these guys play against NFL caliber competition before we annoint them. We all hope they can play but show me somerhing on the field first. To expect anything else at this point is just dumb.

Let's wait until the pads are on and these guys play against NFL caliber competition before we decide what they can't do on the field.

Let's wait until the pads are on and these guys play against NFL caliber competition before we annoint them. We all hope they can play but show me somerhing on the field first. To expect anything else at this point is just dumb. Just ask Raider fan about their franchise QB they drafted #1 overall four years ago.

Man, being a fan for you must be a living hell. I prefer to enjoy being a fan, and if that means being a little over-optimistic, then so be it. As for Troup, you obviously know nothing about him, and I have no ambitions to inform you. If you want to learn about #41, do so yourself.

To the OP, I agree totally. Mr. Wonderful over here has his panties in a bunch.

Man, being a fan for you must be a living hell. I prefer to enjoy being a fan, and if that means being a little over-optimistic, then so be it.

Being a fan is fine, but eventually you expect the team you're a fan of to win. And let's be realistic here: Buffalo is in full-blown rebuilding mode after 10 seasons missing the playoffs. If that's negative, then I don't know what to tell you.

Any fan who comes on this board and doubts the direction of this team has an absolute right to do so, given the failures of multiple regimes across the past 10 years. Above all else, the franchise's future in Buffalo remains in serious doubt, given the stadium lease expiring after the 2012 season and the owner's advanced age. We can all click our heels together, but it can't undo what is happening right now.

That's the point, with these picks teams try/hope to get players who will contribute significantly. I think these 3 will.

TO was supposed to help out Evans. Spiller will force teams to stack the box and/or put a spy on him, creating opportunities elsewhere.

I read.

Thanks for reiterating my point. You hope that one or more of these picks becomes a gamer, and if so, then you got gravy on top of your mash.

Easy, it's called a message board opinion. It's a prediction Mr. (not so) Wonderful.

Agreed.

Man, being a fan for you must be a living hell. I prefer to enjoy being a fan, and if that means being a little over-optimistic, then so be it. As for Troup, you obviously know nothing about him, and I have no ambitions to inform you. If you want to learn about #41, do so yourself.

I'm not from Missouri but the likes of Losman, McGahee, Williams, McCargo, Whitner, Hardy, and Maybin have raised just a little bit of skepticism on my part. So keep telling yourself the Bills are turning things around this season. We've been saying that for a decade. For me, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid and will to wait to see what happens on the field before I share your optimsim.

You can't miss on the first three picks--they have to contribute right away,

I'm sorry to say that this is really an outlandish statement.

Sure, you hope (and even demand for a team to be dubbed draft wizards) that the 1st three choices will contribute immediately, but it just does not work that way in reality.

I had a lot confirmed for me when I actually took the time with a draft class generally dubbed pretty strong in the conventional wisdom of the day and looked back a year after they were picked to see how many of the first round choices were first on the team depth chart at their position a year after the picks.

The draft class did turn out to be a fairly strong one, but even a year out a little over 50% of the first round picks were starters in the second year.

The reality is that career paths like the one taken by Eric Moulds are not the norm, but not a rarity. A player can easily prove to non productive in his first year (or even for two years in Moulds case) and then turn out to be by all watchers to be a consensus All-pro and the best player on the team (he then can deal badly with him getting older and can become a cancer as well and deserve to let go as Moulds was.

Demanding that the first three picks contribute immediately is even more outlandish. It can happen, but you are setting yourself up for upset if you expect this to happen.

.....................3. My favorite pick. No Bruce Smith, but better than Phil Hansen..........................................

I'd have to take exception to this statement. It's nothing but pure speculation. Further it shows both a lack of respect for Hansen as a player, and a lack of football acumen. Phil Hansen may not have been a superstar, but he was an excellent in the 3-4 and played equally well in 4-3 alignments when the Bills used them.

If Carrington can even come close to Hansen, then he'll be a good addition, but the odds are against him. Not a knock on Carrington either, it's simply that many a DE entered the NFL, and many have left after not coming close to being the DE Hansen was.

As far as the Bills go we went for a luxury pick in Spiller round one BUT from there we addressed a big need and that was our Run D Troup is a big body who helps to anchor the D and Carrington is another big nasty that helps us fit into a 3-4. Then in the 4th we also addressed another underrated weakness and that was special teams Easely as a WR is a project with good size and speed BUT as a ST player he makes an intimidate impact (We did take a huge step back as far as ST's went and it went beyond the return game.

In the later rounds we got some high ceiling projects in Wang and Brown. Over all I give our draft a B we didn't reach in the 1st but we did end up getting a player at a position were we are stacked. BUT in the 2nd and 3rd we made great selections to help our new scheme. My biggest gripe is that we ignored the O-line (Yes we did ignore the QB situation but there wasn't a QB worth taking) and we had enough running backs.

On the draft in general I though the 49ers did really well their O-line got the best guard in the draft in Iputa and a really good RT in Davis (Who is in a motivating situation with Singletary) and they also sured up their secondary in round two with the Mays pick (Who like Davis is a freak athlete with a motivation issue playing for a very good motivator). Then in round 3 they got a decent LB from Penn state who should help them convert to a 4-3.