ESPN Captain Checkdown Article

Let's see. How about we start with he's an arrogant prick and he sucks. How's that? :worthy:

my lady - is that just a bit harsh? not a te fan - but me thinks it just might be a tiny bit harsh - funny - but a tiny bit harsh

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am tired of hearing about how bad a QB Trent is! Peyton Manning would have been awful to if he was playing for Jaron. The previous coaching staff is where the blame should lie. Lets give this kid another try with a coaching staff that knows how to run a professional football team!!!!! I truly believe Trent has what it takes to win, he just needs a little bit of coaching. So rather than bash him and run him out of town how about we as Bills fans give the guy and the team the support they need to change things around! Bill Walsh who knew a few things about QB's thought Trent was the real deal!

Please don't compare a true NFL QB in Manning to Edwards. Good lord. Manning has been through three coaches in his career and multiple O-line combos and he was good through all of them.

Trent Edwards needs to grow some nads and throw down the field.

Unless you lived under a rock last year or are a family member we all knew that Trent didn't have the arm or the stones to throw the ball down field. ESPN has confirmed what we already knew. Trent threw just over 1% of his passes over 40yds in the air and 25% of his passes BEHIND the line of scrimmage.

Don't give me the BS about the short passing game can work, and there are a tiny handful of weak armed QBs that have had success in this league blah blah blah. Without the threat of the deep pass the short game gets crushed. I hope that Gailey gets this concept. Personally I was tired of watching passes out to the RBs in the flat and defenders being on them before the ball even got there. WHY? Because they knew that Trent couldn't go deep effectively.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...kick-in-spiller

HAHAHAHAHA!!! The short passing game can't work? Tell that to Tom Brady. That boy checks down a TON!!!

I believe the problem with Trent was that he feeling as though he always had to play on his heels, plus the system Buffalo had in place offensively and defensively sucked. Bad game plans all around. There is no doubt in my mind that Trent can throw down field. People love the long ball, but we and every team needs a playbook that mixes the check down with the long ball effectively. We didn't have that. Maybe we do now... remains to be seen.

I am tired of hearing about how bad a QB Trent is! Peyton Manning would have been awful to if he was playing for Jaron. The previous coaching staff is where the blame should lie. Lets give this kid another try with a coaching staff that knows how to run a professional football team!!!!! I truly believe Trent has what it takes to win, he just needs a little bit of coaching. So rather than bash him and run him out of town how about we as Bills fans give the guy and the team the support they need to change things around! Bill Walsh who knew a few things about QB's thought Trent was the real deal!

JP Losman wants your personal appology for bashing him. At least he had the physical tools to succeed. ....LOL.....Yes, I made an assumption you were a JP basher as most Trent appologists are....If you didn't good for you.

The 1-10, 11-20, etc. isn't yardage. That's breaking down his stats for the first through tenth attempt in each game, eleventh through twentieth, and so on. Take a look at the 31+ line: 5-for-7, but only one was for 20+ yards. His true long-pass completion stats, available on his main profile page: 14 for 20+, two for 40+.

Thank you so much for point that out! Personally I don't really attribute any RAC yds to the QB. This had been one of my MAJOR beefs with Trent for so long but his supporters would recite yds/completion instead of getting my point that he doesn't throw the ball in the air very far.

Trent Edwards has a quiet confidence about himself and is a very goal oriented individual in my opinion.

When TE says he wants to bring home a Championship to Buffalo, he believes in his mind with hard work and conviction he can make it happen.

I believe Trent Edwards/Captain Checkdown and his trusty new sidekick Lightning28 can make it happen...

Trent if anythind would be Spillers sidekick...and Spillers nickname is "The Red Blue Blur"

Trent has been through the "perfect storm" of scenarios after taking too many hits (two concussions in two years), poor coaching and not much quality on the OL.

Really if the all the Bills wanted to do was to throw 10 yard passes, they should have drafted more help on the lines instead of QBs and kept Kelly Holcomb.

GREAT POINT...I wish I thought of that. If all we wanted to do was throw under 10 yards Holcomb was just as good if not better and didn't cost us a draft pick or any real money.

Exactly, if Spiller is lined up in the slot, but off the line of scrimmage and either runs a route to the outside or goes in motion, bang the slant or cross is going to be open because the LB is going to have to move.

Trent doesn't throw those passes :thumbsup:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! The short passing game can't work? Tell that to Tom Brady. That boy checks down a TON!!!

I believe the problem with Trent was that he feeling as though he always had to play on his heels, plus the system Buffalo had in place offensively and defensively sucked. Bad game plans all around. There is no doubt in my mind that Trent can throw down field. People love the long ball, but we and every team needs a playbook that mixes the check down with the long ball effectively. We didn't have that. Maybe we do now... remains to be seen.

You forgot the other important half to my statement "Without the threat of the deep pass the short game gets crushed." I think Tom Brady, Randy Moss and Wes Welker have the deep pass threat covered :thumbsup: Dont you?

I will not make the argument that TE is a great QB but I don't understand the misperception that Fitz was more willing and able to go long than TE. In fact, with less playing time, TE threw deep more often and more effectively than Fitz.

Fitz was 0 for 1 (0%) in passes attempted over 30 yards last year.

TE was 5 for 7 (71%).

Fitz was 21 of 39 (54%) in plass from 21 to 30 yards.

TE was 26 of 49 (53%).

40 of Fits's 227 attempts (18%) were over 30 yards.

56 of TEs 183 attempts (31%) were over 30 yards.

(By comparison, 43% of Brady's passes last year were over 30 yds. 38% of Henne's. 22% of Sanchez's).

Does TE deserve the moniker "Captain Checkdown"? Maybe so. All through college and the NFL so far, this guy has played behind poor lines and maybe fear is beginning to rush his progressions. But I don't think the stats support the idea that he was less willing or able to throw deep than Fitz.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playe...yan-fitzpatrick

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playe...9/trent-edwards

I will not make the argument that TE is a great QB but I don't understand the misperception that Fitz was more willing and able to go long than TE. In fact, with less playing time, TE threw deep more often and more effectively than Fitz.

Fitz was 0 for 1 (0%) in passes attempted over 30 yards last year.

TE was 5 for 7 (71%).

Fitz was 21 of 39 (54%) in plass from 21 to 30 yards.

TE was 26 of 49 (53%).

40 of Fits's 227 attempts (18%) were over 30 yards.

56 of TEs 183 attempts (31%) were over 30 yards.

(By comparison, 43% of Brady's passes last year were over 30 yds. 38% of Henne's. 22% of Sanchez's).

Does TE deserve the moniker "Captain Checkdown"? Maybe so. All through college and the NFL so far, this guy has played behind poor lines and maybe fear is beginning to rush his progressions. But I don't think the stats support the idea that he was less willing or able to throw deep than Fitz.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playe...yan-fitzpatrick

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playe...9/trent-edwards

Not that Fitz is the answer either but where did you get those stats??? Until I read this article I hadn't known of a source that recorded the distance pass attempts traveled in the air NOT how many yards a pass went for including YAC. Can you provide the link? I will bookmark it imediately.

BINGO - Wes Welker. some of you detractors might of heard of him.

Not that Fitz is the answer either but where did you get those stats??? Until I read this article I hadn't known of a source that recorded the distance pass attempts traveled in the air NOT how many yards a pass went for including YAC. Can you provide the link? I will bookmark it imediately.

Looks like he's misreading the attempts-per-game stats, same as the other guy did.

Repeating from earlier in the thread:

The 1-10, 11-20, etc. isn't yardage. That's breaking down his stats for the first through tenth attempt in each game, eleventh through twentieth, and so on. Take a look at the 31+ line: 5-for-7, but only one was for 20+ yards. His true long-pass completion stats, available on his main profile page: 14 for 20+, two for 40+.

Edwards was 21-for-31 vs. the Bucs, 20-for-35 vs. the Saints, and 16-for-31 vs. Cleveland. His 31st attempt in the TB game was the 43-yard TD pass to Owens. His final five throws against the Saints were: 8 to Reed, incomplete to Owens, 12 to Jackson, 0 to Reed, incomplete (throwaway). Last throw in the Browns loss was a dumpoff to Lynch to set up the ol' lateral-till-you-fumble play. Totals: 5-for-7, with one completion over 20 yards, just like it says on the "Attempts 31+" line.

I watched Edwards in that Buc's game and he threw some good deep balls, 2 to Lee Evans and one to TO. Evans dropped a TD pass that hit him in the numbers or TE has 3 deep TD passes in that game. If the O line was able to give him time like he had against the Buc's to take 5 step drops then he would have thrown deeper IMO.

Like I stated earlier, kinda tough to take a 5 step drop which usually takes 5 seconds for the play to develop and receivers to be in position when he only had 3 seconds to get rid of the ball.

I think its almost laughable that some of you guys are still complaining about the starting QB who was forced to play behind such a horrible O line, for a bad HC, poor OC and in a generally bad offense. How many times are ya gonna crucify the guy for the limited time he did play?

Anyway, at this point I could really care less who gets the starting job at QB and I feel badly for whomever gets the nod because the offense will still be limited by the lack of talent at both tackle positions.