ESPN Captain Checkdown Article

I watched Edwards in that Buc's game and he threw some good deep balls, 2 to Lee Evans and one to TO. Evans dropped a TD pass that hit him in the numbers or TE has 3 deep TD passes in that game. If the O line was able to give him time like he had against the Buc's to take 5 step drops then he would have thrown deeper IMO.

Like I stated earlier, kinda tough to take a 5 step drop which usually takes 5 seconds for the play to develop and receivers to be in position when he only had 3 seconds to get rid of the ball.

I think its almost laughable that some of you guys are still complaining about the starting QB who was forced to play behind such a horrible O line, for a bad HC, poor OC and in a generally bad offense. How many times are ya gonna crucify the guy for the limited time he did play?

Anyway, at this point I could really care less who gets the starting job at QB and I feel badly for whomever gets the nod because the offense will still be limited by the lack of talent at both tackle positions.

Can we crucify him for his own underachievement? I agree that blasting/praising him based on useless data like W-L record is asinine, but some of us have seen the guy "play" enough to form opinions on his own sizable limitations.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will not make the argument that TE is a great QB but I don't understand the misperception that Fitz was more willing and able to go long than TE. In fact, with less playing time, TE threw deep more often and more effectively than Fitz.

Fitz was 0 for 1 (0%) in passes attempted over 30 yards last year.

TE was 5 for 7 (71%).

Fitz was 21 of 39 (54%) in plass from 21 to 30 yards.

TE was 26 of 49 (53%).

40 of Fits's 227 attempts (18%) were over 30 yards.

56 of TEs 183 attempts (31%) were over 30 yards.

(By comparison, 43% of Brady's passes last year were over 30 yds. 38% of Henne's. 22% of Sanchez's).

Does TE deserve the moniker "Captain Checkdown"? Maybe so. All through college and the NFL so far, this guy has played behind poor lines and maybe fear is beginning to rush his progressions. But I don't think the stats support the idea that he was less willing or able to throw deep than Fitz.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playe...yan-fitzpatrick

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playe...9/trent-edwards

How do you mess something like this up? It says, "ATTEMPTS 31+" It couldn't be any more clear.

Can we crucify him for his own underachievement? I agree that blasting/praising him based on useless data like W-L record is asinine, but some of us have seen the guy "play" enough to form opinions on his own sizable limitations.

I've watched him play also, and I've seen Fitz and Brohm play in that elite Bills offense that Jauron developed. The consensus in this forum is that they all suck...just keep beating that dead horse over and over while you can.

I've watched him play also, and I've seen Fitz and Brohm play in that elite Bills offense that Jauron developed. The consensus in this forum is that they all suck...just keep beating that dead horse over and over while you can.

And, yet Fitzpatpatsack, who is a below average QB, simply outplayed and took the job away from Edwards in the same offense.