Final thread on Trent Edwards

The "good ones" like Flutie, Bledsoe, vanPelt, .......really? ...............Really?! Does anyone remember Bill Walsh? He was only the complete, ultimate authority on quarterbacks. When Edwards was drafted, he called Marv Levy personally to express his high opinion of Trent. Obviously he saw some type of potential there. I say this is the year Trent turns it around.

You mean the same Bill Walsh who annointed Rick Mirer as "the second coming of Joe Montana".

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I'm not a Trent Edwards booster. He is a Bills QB and until he's not I want him to succeed.

To the TE haters... What will it say if TE wins the QB competition this year?

It says for good or bad he is the best we have on our team in the coaches opinion.

If he wins the competition and he sucks, then IMO the GM and coach did a horrible job of evaluating the talent on our team. Don't give me this crap about not being sure of the current talent level of our QBs. You're being paid to know just that! It also says except for Brown (who most likely will be on the PS) all the QBs should be replaced next year.

Now if he is replace mid-season and his replacement does well, then I have to ask why wasn't he starting to begin with? I will be really worried that our new coach is no better at judging talent than our old coach. Boy is that a scarey thought.

At this point I'll trust that they have a plan. so it just seems stupid to crusade against a player THIS offseason when we know nothing about how this team is going to function. Next year, when we have a better feel for the type of O we will be running, feel free to fire your pot shots.

Guest dog14787
HAHAHAHA...oh the Bill Walsh defense again...this is by far my favorite. Lets see how many issues I can come up with this statement in 60 seconds (I literally have a stop watch so pardon any typos):

And GO:

1 Walsh was up in years and quite removed from the current NFL when he gave the endorsement

2 He also thought Drunkenmiller was the future of the 49ers who never made it past QB3

3 He traded up in the draft to get JJ Stokes and called him the "Next Jerry Rice"

4 Like any GM, he is wrong more than he is right...The greatest GMs in football history are all wrong more than they are right, its the quality of players they find when they are right, the value they find in the mid/late rounds, and their ability to find depth

5 He also s....................................................................times up

Crap ran out of time...#4 took too long...lol...doesnt matter, the ones I got out are enough.

Don't forget a young fella by the name of Steve Young Alpha,

Young looked horrible playing for the Bucs where he went 3-16 in his first 19 games, but Walsh had the insight to trade a 2nd and a 4th round draft pick to obtain Youngs services who then later went on to win a Championship for the 49ers.

So we actually have two QB's Bill Walsh helped in achieving their ultimate goal.

Myself personally, and this of course is all pure speculation on my part, I see a championship caliber QB in the makings with TE and if TE should ever obtain that lofty hard to get goal it would be the perfect ending for what was one of the greatest football minds of all time in Bill Walsh.

First off I'm not a Trent Edwards booster. He is a Bills QB and until he's not I want him to succeed.

To the TE haters... What will it say if TE wins the QB competition this year?

It says for good or bad he is the best we have on our team in the coaches opinion.

Agreed. If he wins, he is the best in the coaches opinion.

If he wins the competition and he sucks, then IMO the GM and coach did a horrible job of evaluating the talent on our team.

Why can't it be the QB's just plain suck?

The FO has said they will not over pay to fill a need and that all problems will not be corrected in one year.

So, they did not "prioritize" the QB position over the other needs for the draft. Patience.

Don't give me this crap about not being sure of the current talent level of our QBs. You're being paid to know just that! It also says except for Brown (who most likely will be on the PS) all the QBs should be replaced next year.

Now if he is replace mid-season and his replacement does well, then I have to ask why wasn't he starting to begin with? I will be really worried that our new coach is no better at judging talent than our old coach. Boy is that a scarey thought.

If the QB is replaced during the year, and the replacement plays better, I will not be upset.

That means the coaching staff continues to evaluate the players as the season progresses.

This is not a bad thing. It becomes a bad thing when they STOP evaluating players during the year.

Young looked horrible playing for the Bucs where he went 3-16 in his first 19 games, but Walsh had the insight to trade a 2nd and a 4th round draft pick to obtain Youngs services who then later went on to win a Championship for the 49ers.

So we actually have two QB's Bill Walsh helped in achieving their ultimate goal.

Myself personally, and this of course is all pure speculation on my part, I see a championship caliber QB in the makings with TE and if TE should ever obtain that lofty hard to get goal it would be the perfect ending for what was one of the greatest football minds of all time in Bill Walsh.

Who the hell is Steve Young Alpha? :lol:

Just remember what TIPS predicted about this season's pecking order -

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - Backup

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard Carrier/3rd String

Trent Edwards - Marketing Intern @ Synopsys

Maybe he meant former Bills long snapper, Steve Alvers?

He's Steve Old Alpha's younger cousin.

But, I see we are still trying to perpetuate the myth that Steve Young sucked in Tampa because his team was garbage. I was there literally, sitting in the stands at the 50 yard line, and I say again that the myth is total horseshit. Nice try though.

Guest dog14787
Who the hell is Steve Young Alpha? :worthy:

Just remember what TIPS predicted about this season's pecking order -

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - Backup

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard Carrier/3rd String

Trent Edwards - Marketing Intern @ Synopsys

Why are you asking AlphaDawg7 who Steve Young is, surely you must have heard of him :thumbsup:

Guest dog14787
He's Steve Old Alpha's younger cousin.

But, I see we are still trying to perpetuate the myth that Steve Young sucked in Tampa because his team was garbage. I was there literally, sitting in the stands at the 50 yard line, and I say again that the myth is total horseshit. Nice try though.

So what your saying is you watched Steve Young suck about as bad as the team sucked which just goes with the territory.

Something Trent Edwards can relate to as he hears it from the Bills fan base, but with all due respect an experienced football coach may see more than that, he see's things like flaws in protection/ play calling/supporting cast and sometimes even flaws in the QB that can all be corrected.

do you think the bucs getting vinny testaverde with the #1 overall pick had anything to do with young's departure?

Guest dog14787
do you think the bucs getting vinny testaverde with the #1 overall pick had anything to do with young's departure?

I wasn't trying to imply the Bucs thought Young was useless and a 2nd a 4th round draft pick tells you they didn't let him go for nothing. In my opinion considering Steve Young just went 3-16 in his first 19 games a 2 and 4 was actually a bit much so it was a good indication Walsh still believed very highly in Young despite the poor start.

I wasn't trying to imply the Bucs thought Young was useless and a 2nd a 4th round draft pick tells you they didn't let him go for nothing. In my opinion considering Steve Young just went 3-16 in his first 19 games a 2 and 4 was actually a bit much so it was a good indication Walsh still believed very highly in Young despite the poor start.

that's true, but young himself was a #1 overall in the supplemental draft of 1984. shrug.

Guest dog14787
that's true, but young himself was a #1 overall in the supplemental draft of 1984. shrug.

The trade does also indicate Tampa was bending more towards bust because why suffer through two seasons with a guy just to draft his replacement.

that's true, but young himself was a #1 overall in the supplemental draft of 1984, so it's not like he was some scrub off the streets. shrug. so i could see compensation being kind of high for him.. in any event, kudos to walsh for grabbing him.

So what your saying is you watched Steve Young suck about as bad as the team sucked which just goes with the territory.

Something Trent Edwards can relate to as he hears it from the Bills fan base, but with all due respect an experienced football coach may see more than that, he see's things like flaws in protection/ play calling/supporting cast and sometimes even flaws in the QB that can all be corrected.

Are you really this dense? Bill Walsh didn't have the patent on player evaluation. I didn't coach the Bucs, but what's obvious is obvious. Keep saying that Steve Young sucked though, it really helps prove your point that you know what you are typing about. Not.

He's too focused on the W-L record (the only tried and true way to evaluate a QB unless you are Bill Walsh apparently) to notice.

I would love to see Walsh's "opinion" of Young when he came out of college.

Did Walsh think Young was the next great QB straight out of college, or did he "discover" Young after a few years of playing in the USFL and NFL?