Titans might have a Jason Peters problem...

LGB

Peters, once voted to the Pro-Bowl, felt he out-performed his contract and held out for more money. It is very possible that the leading rusher in the NFL last year might hold out as well because he has clearly out-performed his contract.

BTW - Johnson, if he does not hold out, should be right at the top with AP for RB draft selection in 2010 Fantasy Football.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you miss the point on what a "contract" is. each party is bound by the agreement reached, the language in the contract. the team would be unable to come back to a player and say...you played decently in games 3-7, but sucked something awful in the rest of the games, so we're pro-rating your compensation.".

the team can cut a player at any time because that's the way the contract is drawn up. there are risks, and rewards for both parties. cj is rewarded on the front end with certain benefits and compensation that places him in the top 1% of wages earners in the country, commensurate with what he brought to the table. he was chosen at #24, made $7 million dollars right off the rip. besides, he's representd by a union, and if the player's union wanted non-cut-guaranteed contracts, i'd assume they would lobby for them.

it seems to me at times when someone talks about outplaying their contract, it's viewed as if there is some type of victimization of the player. he got paid X, agreed to the terms and conditions of the contract at X (which includes the "you can be cut at any time", absent, of course, the guaranteed money the owner paid when the contract was executed), and when he performed his job at a certain level, now he's being taken advantage of in some way, shape or form. hogwash.

i'm not at all against the theory of contract renegotiations, because that's a reality where contracts are concerned as well. but the needs of the organization have to come first---and while i haven't seen a direct quote attributable to cj as wanting to be the highest paid offensive player in the league--it wouldn't surprise me at all. you would assume he'd want to be pretty high up there, which makes renegotiation kind of tricky. perhaps it's that type of attitude---keeping in mind the risk to the organization and to the player---that causes a team to clam up and not renegotiate initially.

i see no victims here, i see no one deserving anything more or less than what the contract dictates. i'm in a business with an 'at will' contract, and fairness has nothing to do with it.

guess if I were in CJ's shoes or in a profession where 300+ lb lineman were throwing all there body weight at me and my legs, I would want to make money while I am still able to make it...you can't blame the guy for trying to make as much as he can after leading the league in rushing (after his guaranteed money, he is making about minimum wage in the NFL), but he did sign his contract - so it will be interesting to see how much Spiller signs for and if there isn't some way of structuring the deal based on performance (let's hope Spiller turns out to be the next Chris Johnson on the field).

I disagree. He's a special player. Pay him.

I agree.

I don't like players holding out and the Titans shouldn't even allow that to be an issue. Renegotiate now. A RBs career can quickly be cut short. There have only been a few 2000-yard seasons in NFL history.

Pay the guy. He's way underpaid. He deserves it.

guess if I were in CJ's shoes or in a profession where 300+ lb lineman were throwing all there body weight at me and my legs, I would want to make money while I am still able to make it...you can't blame the guy for trying to make as much as he can after leading the league in rushing (after his guaranteed money, he is making about minimum wage in the NFL), but he did sign his contract - so it will be interesting to see how much Spiller signs for and if there isn't some way of structuring the deal based on performance (let's hope Spiller turns out to be the next Chris Johnson on the field).

it would be nice to have spiller perform at that level. i don't have a major issue with johnson wanting to better his deal, because that's part of the contract game as well, i just don't think he 'deserves' anything. the nfl is a cut throat business, and the player owes nothing to the team/fan base when their contract is up--they often go to the next highest bidder.

by the way, i respect your opinion, but saying "after guaranteed money he is making about minimum wage" like it ain't a boatload of crazy dough is kind of like saying "other than smoking hot looks and a killer body megan fox looks like the lunch lady at my old high school". I find it hard to seperate the two--they both spend the same. the team risked $7 large on him back when he was a "maybe" player--he won then--they are winning now.

all bidness, i beleive.

Funny, because there's no other overpaid RB on the roster. :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised he wants that. But he'll have to wait another year because of the uncapped year. The Titans don't want to give him that large a signing bonus, and I don't even know if they are allowed to do that, in lieu of a small base salary. But who is Johnson's agent? Hopefully (for them) not Eugene Parker.

Herein lies the problem --highest paid would put at say 15-20 mill per year (i expect 20 with Brady, manning and potentially brees getting new deals). If it's a 5 year deal total money approaches 100 mil. If base salaries are 500k, 600k, 700k due to the 30% rule.... That leaves a 90 mill signing bonus.

Dickerson and Lewis were 24 in their 2000 yd seasons. Simpson and Davis were 26 in theirs.

Got the Dickersons age wrong. However I think its carries and age not 2000 yard seasons that equate to running backs falling off. Dickerson still had 4 1000 yard seasons after his 2000 yard season including a 1800 yard and 1600 yard seasons which is far from falling off the face of the planet after his 2000 yard season. Lewis while having a few decent years never really went back to form.

Davis more so succumbed to injury rather then wear and tear although in the year he rushed for 2000 yards he carried the ball 392 times which is too high for any back in any year. Simpson had a decent amount production after his 2000 yard season as well. 5 guys (Johnson not included) who have rushed for 2000 yards Dickerson and Simpson had a good amount of production after their 2000 yard seasons.

Sander's had only one season after his 2000 yard season and he rushed for 1491 yards at 4.3 yards per carry not too shabby. Lewis and Davis were the only backs to fall off the face of the Earth after 2000 yard seasons. So 2 out of 5 falling off while 2 had good production afterwards and 1 only played one more year (Which was productive) after his 2000 yard season is hardly a trend.

it would be nice to have spiller perform at that level. i don't have a major issue with johnson wanting to better his deal, because that's part of the contract game as well, i just don't think he 'deserves' anything. the nfl is a cut throat business, and the player owes nothing to the team/fan base when their contract is up--they often go to the next highest bidder.

by the way, i respect your opinion, but saying "after guaranteed money he is making about minimum wage" like it ain't a boatload of crazy dough is kind of like saying "other than smoking hot looks and a killer body megan fox looks like the lunch lady at my old high school". I find it hard to seperate the two--they both spend the same. the team risked $7 large on him back when he was a "maybe" player--he won then--they are winning now.

all bidness, i beleive.

you're right that 7 million was a risk even though CJ ran a 4.2 at the combine (that put him in the first round -24th overall), but look what philly just did with Kolb under the same 30 percent rule that that applies to CJ

"On Thursday afternoon, the team emphasized that point even more by extending the former University of Houston star's contract. However, without a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the players and owners, and due to the complexities of the "30 percent rule", Kolb's contract was extended for just one season, but the deal includes roughly $12.26 million in guaranteed money, a league source told Scout.com."

"The 30 percent rule restricts base salary growth for more than 30 percent from year to year for renegotiated contracts completed during an uncapped year. Option and roster bonuses are prohibited within the 30 percent rule, so it's very difficult to renegotiate deals with years left. The remaining option to get Kolb's contract up to speed with the rest of the top starters in the NFL was to give him a large signing bonus. Signing bonuses are excluded from the 30 percent rule. The guaranteed money in the extension, as expected, comes in the form of a $10.7 million signing bonus".

I agree.

I don't like players holding out and the Titans shouldn't even allow that to be an issue. Renegotiate now. A RBs career can quickly be cut short. There have only been a few 2000-yard seasons in NFL history.

Pay the guy. He's way underpaid. He deserves it.

he only the 6th running back in NFL history to reach the 2,000 yard mark

1984 - Eric Dickerson - 2,105 yards

2003 - Jamal Lewis - 2,066 yards

1997 - Barry Sanders - 2,053 yards

1998 - Terrell Davis - 2,008 yards

2009 - Chris Johnson - 2,006 yards

1973 - O.J. Simpson - 2,003 yards

(that is pretty good football company - and he also had over 500 yards receiving last year)