Run Ricky Run

Peter

If you have not seen it, I thoroughly recommend the documentary "Run Ricky Run" on ESPN. For those of you that do not know, it is a documentary on Ricky Williams, and it is outstanding.

Ricky elicits a lot of different reactions from people -- as I am sure that the documentary will.

I do not have time right now to go through all of my thoughts about Ricky now, but I always found him to be a sympathetic figure and the documentary did nothing to change that (except for the part about being an absent father until recently).

It also revealed at least to me a horrific thing that happened in his childhood. I will not get into it now for those of you that have not seen the program yet.

I second your opinion completely.

The whole ESPN 30 for 30 is amazing.

I've seen them all, and the only 1 that I think truly sucked was the Jimmy Johnson/ Univ. of Miami one. It was 1 and 1/2 hours, and just so b-o-r-i-n-g listening to hear how they are so cocky, arrogant, but can't understand why nobody likes them/ are misunderstood, etc.

The Raiders one was kind of disappointing, as I was expecting more Raiders and less hip-hop.

But the rest have been amazing. The Run, Ricky, Run one was a favorite, as is the 16 seconds one that covered the South African SpringBokks rugby team and their win over New Zealand to usher in the new era of President Mandela.

After watching this, I feel that I have a better understanding of Ricky Williams and am now less judgemental on his decisions to throw his career away. I look at him in a different light. This one had the same effect on me that the movie Tyson now has on me with Mike Tyson. I don't look at him so hard anymore.

I've seen them all, and the only 1 that I think truly sucked was the Jimmy Johnson/ Univ. of Miami one. It was 1 and 1/2 hours, and just so b-o-r-i-n-g listening to hear how they are so cocky, arrogant, but can't understand why nobody likes them/ are misunderstood, etc.

Are you kidding? That was my favorite one, and I hate the Canes. It wasn't "Jimmy Johnson" focused at all; it primarily focused on Schnellengerer and the building of the country's most dominant team from nothing. By the time Johnson got there, they were already loaded.

And I loved seeing the great footage from the '80s, before the NCAA wrung all the fun out of the game. Today college games are decided because someone gets a 15 yard penalty for tackling too hard.

Are you kidding? That was my favorite one, and I hate the Canes. It wasn't "Jimmy Johnson" focused at all; it primarily focused on Schnellengerer and the building of the country's most dominant team from nothing. By the time Johnson got there, they were already loaded.

And I loved seeing the great footage from the '80s, before the NCAA wrung all the fun out of the game. Today college games are decided because someone gets a 15 yard penalty for tackling too hard.

As a Canes fan, I loved that one too. Howard did a great time building the Canes. I wish that he never went to the USFL. That team came out of nowhere to win the National Championship against Nebraska (one of the best teams of all time) in one of the biggest upsets in college football history.

The whole ESPN 30 for 30 is amazing.

Completely agree. They are really well done. I loved the Ricky Williams episode and particularly enjoyed the one on Allen Iverson. Have not seen the JJ episode.

It was appalling listening to all the ESPN talking heads--especially the Joe Theismann--denouncing Williams as a disgrace to humanity, etc.

As a Canes fan, I loved that one too. Howard did a great time building the Canes. I wish that he never went to the USFL. That team came out of nowhere to win the National Championship against Nebraska (one of the best teams of all time) in one of the biggest upsets in college football history.

Yup. I thought it was a fascinating look at the way they built that team, the way they reflected the times and local flavor, the way they took college football by storm, they way they changed the college game and the way it started to fall apart, including the symbolism of the destruction of the Orange Bowl.