Those Classy Dolphins.....

we're not talking about CEO positions here. the "Player" position can be compared more to a "Field Technician". I'd put the head coach, or GM as equivalent to a CEO interview. And there is no need to ask those questions there.

However, if I was just graduating from college and found an entry level Field Tech job that paid $2million a year, I'd answer any question they asked.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's your opinion. There are literally millions of different jobs out there. They all have different requirements, different things at stake.

These questions are not as direct, not as black and white as you might think. They are as much about seeing how one reacts to the questions. To they get defensive and their back up against the wall? It shows that they may crack under pressure. They also help analyze one's psychological tendencies.

There are numerous jobs that require you to write a psych test. The questions are odd, sometimes seem ridiculous and even offensive. They may also seem irrelevent to the job. But they are relevant. One's answers are calculated and grouped into catergories that allow potential employers to gauge one's suitability for a job. They can help preict if someone is prone to anger issues, depression, trust issues, etc.

It's not what's on the surface of the question, trust me.

You can google these psych tests. The questions range from things like:

"Do you love your father?"

"Does the presence of blood gross you out?"

"Would you prefer the work of a florist or mechanic?"

"Have you ever engaged in beastiality?"

"Would you rather go for a run or read a book?"

This interview is a pysch test, not a stab at his family. Not a slight against him, nor meant to insult or offend. It was to gauge his response in terms of how he responded, his body lanuage, tone, diction, kinesics, etc. They wanted to see how he reacted to being asked this question. They could care less about his actually answer.

It was a maturity test and it would appear that Dez failed it.

To be blunt, you're wrong. Don't take this as an attack on you, but you've misunderstood what this interview's intentions were.

Did you look up all of these psych questions becasue your mother was a prositiute?

Now, before you get angry, I am sure your mother is a very nice woman and is of high moral character. I just have to say i do not think that is an appropriate question for anyone in really any context of employment. Even if she was, the Dolphins are not hiring Dez Bryants mother to play WR - And you sure can't pick our parents.

any poster who is saying that they wouldve pulled some tough guy routine in this interview, let me ask you: how many other life changing opportunities has your pride/stupidity held you back from?

if you think you can go over the desk at the guy from the dolphins because "there are 31 other teams that will take me", than you just showed that you dont belong on any team. and NO ONE is going to take you. you dont think that word would spread IMMEDIATELY about the incident?

come on guys. lets get real here. grow up and answer the question and dont shoot yourself in the foot just to prove a point to no one.

any poster who is saying that they wouldve pulled some tough guy routine in this interview, let me ask you: how many other life changing opportunities has your pride/stupidity held you back from?

if you think you can go over the desk at the guy from the dolphins because "there are 31 other teams that will take me", than you just showed that you dont belong on any team. and NO ONE is going to take you. you dont think that word would spread IMMEDIATELY about the incident?

come on guys. lets get real here. grow up and answer the question and dont shoot yourself in the foot just to prove a point to no one.

I dpn't believe he needed to assault the guy to make his point. If you were the best WR in the draft, who probably 25 other teams would love to have. Would you want to play for the team who insulted your family for really no reason? As I said before, the Dolphons were not draftin Dez Bryants mother, if she was or was not, why is that question relavent? Dez didn't have to be a toughguy, but I bet he is very happy the Dolphins did not draft him.

Psych test or not... I really don't see what the problem is with asking this question. You're making a decision that will likely have tens of millions of dollars in implications.

I would have no problem with asking this question... "Dez, you understand that there's a lot of scrutiny around your background? I hate to ask you this, but we really need to hear from you what's true and what isn't. <Insert question(s) here>/

I appreciate your candor and directness. I think we've gained alot from this interview, and I wish you the best of luck in the future. I know this process isn't easy, but there's light at the end of tunnel... blah blah blah.."

Regardless of how you may feel about Dez Bryant, anyone is entitled to a little more respect than that. He is attempting to play pro football, not be a supreme court justice. If I were he, I would have walked out.

The Dolphins are a classless organization. They owe him an apology.

The Bucs didn' cover themselves with class either with Myron Rolle.

Something in the water in Fla?

The draft process is all about scrutiny. Heavy, heavy, under the microscope, all skeletons out of the closet, scrutiny. If a team is considering investing a valuable draft pick and several millions of dollars in you, they can ask whatever the hell they want. No one says you have to agree to the interview, no one is making you attend, no one is making you answer.

Offensive? Yes. But these teams are dotting all their "i's" and crossing all their "t's". They want to make the best investment they can. They don't want a player they pick to wash out or wind up suspended. They want him to have a long, productive and exciting career.

It's the dirty side of the business, but it's a necessary evil.

Oh really? How in the world is Bryant's mother's profession at all related to his performance on or off the field? Ridiculous question and your justification is even more ridiculous.

no, no you wouldnt. not in this interview. not to play in the NFL and get paid millions of dollars. none of us wouldve said ****. other than "no sir".

Which is why it's ridiculous to even ask.. and still offensive.

Everyone is attempting to avoid drafting the next Michael Vick, Pacman Jones etc. Like it or not, as a player entering the draft, everything is on the table. There are real concerns about his character. Anyone drafting him knows that they're taking a chance. I'd want to know as much as possible before I took that chance.

Oh really? How in the world is Bryant's mother's profession at all related to his performance on or off the field? Ridiculous question and your justification is even more ridiculous.

You don't think that the enviornment that somebody grows up in has an impact on their character?

I dpn't believe he needed to assault the guy to make his point. If you were the best WR in the draft, who probably 25 other teams would love to have. Would you want to play for the team who insulted your family for really no reason? As I said before, the Dolphons were not draftin Dez Bryants mother, if she was or was not, why is that question relavent? Dez didn't have to be a toughguy, but I bet he is very happy the Dolphins did not draft him.

it's relevant because what these players do in their free time can effect their career and the team, if they get suspended. If his mom IS a prostitute, and you are handing him millions of dollars, then you are putting this KID in a position to be PREYED upon by all sorts of shady characters. Not just his mom. And if he has those types of people in his life, there is more likelihood that some criminal element will come in too.

if it was a real question, and not just a psych test, then the Dolphins are merely doing their due diligence to protect their MILLION dollar investment.

Psych test or not... I really don't see what the problem is with asking this question. You're making a decision that will likely have tens of millions of dollars in implications.

I would have no problem with asking this question... "Dez, you understand that there's a lot of scrutiny around your background? I hate to ask you this, but we really need to hear from you what's true and what isn't. <Insert question(s) here>/

I appreciate your candor and directness. I think we've gained alot from this interview, and I wish you the best of luck in the future. I know this process isn't easy, but there's light at the end of tunnel... blah blah blah.."

Dude.. who !@#$ing cares what his mom does!!! His mom isn't catching TD passes. Anyone justifying this question is just as low class.. IMO

You don't think that the enviornment that somebody grows up in has an impact on their character?

Sure your environment impacts character, but for many it makes them stronger. Ask him questions about his environment growing up.. not if his mom is a prostitute. That is just whack.

Sure your environment impacts character, but for many it makes them stronger. Ask him questions about his environment growing up.. not if his mom is a prostitute. That is just whack.

Exactly.

Plus, whatever his mom does or does not do, I am sure that the NFL and the Dolphins already know. It was an awful question that reflects more on Ireland than Dez Bryant (who, as I understand, is a knucklehead but never has gotten in trouble with the law as far as I know).