OT "The biggest in Buffalo in decades"

seq004

I wasn’t making an argument for or against - I was merely stating that Bass Pro sold more than just fishing supplies ----  As for NYS tax $$ it's no money out of my pocket - I live in VA.

139801[/snapback]

I hear ya. As a avid ATV'er, this is a sore point for me. Now is it in VA or WV where they have the Hatfield-McCoy trails? Those are supposed to be awesome. And the state supports these hundreds of miles of trails and this really brings in the tourist/riders

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya.  As a avid ATV'er, this is a sore point for me.  Now is it in VA or WV where they have the Hatfield-McCoy trails?  Those are supposed to be awesome.  And the state supports these hundreds of miles of trails and this really brings in the tourist/riders

139900[/snapback]

<SRCASM ON>

Another twist... What about the enviro?... All those trails, 2-cycle marine engines... Very high impact sporting going on... Tax dollars to clean it up? :doh:

Hope they sell canoes. ;):lol:

<SARCASM OFF>

Think of all the prime lakefront property that Beth steel takes up!

Something like that would have never happened with Daniel Burnham in Chicago... All the industry is to the south.

Buffalo needs visionarys!

139684[/snapback]

It's an eye sore for the city for sure. That's the first thing you see on 90 going north. They put some plastic Buffalo's on the freeway right before you get to town. Like they are going to help. That's a joke.

Why would tourists come to Buffalo to go to Bass Pro when they can go to any of the other 25 locations around the country, one being in Auburn, NY?

A few points:

- There are 25 stores around the country. This one will be bigger than 23 of them. The store in Auburn is probably 1/3 the size of the proposed store for the aud.

- There is a real risk of becoming oversaturated, if there are 25 now there will probably 40 by the time the one in Buffalo opens up.

- People aren't going to go on vacation to Buffalo just because of the store, but they may take a night from their trip to Niagara Falls and come to Buffalo. That is better than what happens now.

- Also consider people like fishermen from Cleveland who might take a 2 hour trip to Buffalo, spend a day or two fishing on the lake and 1/2 a day or so at the store. It will defintely attract people like that. Maybe Maple Leafs fans would spend the night after a toronto game at HSBC so they can get up and shop at Bass Pro....

- Think of the "thanksgiving" scenario - ie, a bunch of family and friends are back in town and looking for something to do for a day. Not a lot of options right now, wait till you see the people at Bass pro, it will be a nightmare (which is a good thing).

- What they need to do next is use Bass Pro to begin to develop the waterfront. We have an incredible body of water and the only thing that has been done with it is a pier that is a pain to get to, a nice small boat harbor and restaurant that is no longer in business. If they can get a few restaurants, a few shops and then build something rational like a $*%& beach it will help. It is a natural destination but nothing has been done.

- At the end of the day this alone won't change things, but it is a nice step forward. Unfortunately the local politicians have a long history......

1. Bass Pro just opened a store in Toronto. There goes the Canadian tourists idea.

2. Someone wants to open a store in Buffalo. Great. Just don't take more money out of my pocket to do it. The taxes in Erie County are high enough as it is. Property taxes are 42% higher than the national average. Sales Tax is going up to 9.25% or property taxes will be doubled or we lose 90% of County services. I don't want to even get into the school tax, income tax and all the other taxes (Gas, smokes & everything else) It's insane.

3. The Control Board is for the City of Buffalo. Erie County has it's own problems. The libraries being closed and the Fire, EMS & Police services that are going to be cut if the "Red" Budget takes effect on January 1st are for all of the suburbs as well as the city.

3. The Control Board is for the City of Buffalo. Erie County has it's own problems. The libraries being closed and the Fire, EMS & Police services that are going to be cut if the "Red" Budget takes effect on January 1st are for all of the suburbs as well as the city.

140533[/snapback]

Wait, I thought all the people in the suburbs figured they would be immune to all this. :D

Karma's a B word. <_<