Fox Sports Grades Bills Draft a "C"

box0life

Only Jacksonville was worse with a C-. Outside of Cory Chavous I've seen no above average grades for the Bills so far.

I have to agree with them. I see nothing special with this draft except Spiller. I might say that Levi Brown was a good value pick in the seventh. Other than that nothing really stands out as a coup.

I still don't understand why we didn't trade Lynch to Seattle. They apparently really tried to get him. What is Nix thinking?

I think that a year from now, you will think the 2010 draft was a pretty good one.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right about now would be a good time to begin evaluating the 2008 draft.

James Hardy: it's pretty clear that he's not going to be great, and I would bet that he ends up a bust. Chris Ellis clearly stinks. Derek Fine, the fourth rounder, isn't even on the team anymore. Bowen and Omon amounted to nothing too and are both gone. We'll see about McKelvin, but he's done basically nothing in two seasons except return kicks pretty well in season one and implode in opening night of season two on national television. Reggie Corner, Steve Johnson, and Demetrius Bell still have some hope, but they've done nothing yet. I'm not sure if the final pick, Kennard Cox, ever played a down.

All in all, it looks like a pretty bad draft so far.

James Hardy: it's pretty clear that he's not going to be great, and I would bet that he ends up a bust. Chris Ellis clearly stinks. Derek Fine, the fourth rounder, isn't even on the team anymore. Bowen and Omon amounted to nothing too and are both gone. We'll see about McKelvin, but he's done basically nothing in two seasons except return kicks pretty well in season one and implode in opening night of season two on national television. Reggie Corner, Steve Johnson, and Demetrius Bell still have some hope, but they've done nothing yet. I'm not sure if the final pick, Kennard Cox, ever played a down.

All in all, it looks like a pretty bad draft so far.

In case you forgot, McKelvin was hurt all of last year. You can't really count that as a year of "doing nothing." And i wish people would get over the fumble. McKelvin isn't the first nor will he be the last player to make a mistake.

In case you forgot, McKelvin was hurt all of last year. You can't really count that as a year of "doing nothing." And i wish people would get over the fumble. McKelvin isn't the first nor will he be the last player to make a mistake.

The way I look at it, the Bills have McKelvin for five years max (assuming he's any good). After that, he'll be a free agent and outta here. Since he did nothing (pretty much) for his first two years (and I realize the injury isn't his fault), then the best they'll get from him is 3 solid seasons out of 5 as a starter. The injury he suffered shelved him last year, but it wasn't a serious one and shouldn't impact his play this year. Still, it was one out of the five he'll be here, and he didn't contribute. Again, I realize it isn't his fault. He may end up being an excellent player, but if that happens, I suspect that a good portion of his good years will be spent in a uniform other than Buffalo's judging from the careers of previous Bills first round cornerbacks this past decade.

The way I look at it, the Bills have McKelvin for five years max (assuming he's any good). After that, he'll be a free agent and outta here. Since he did nothing (pretty much) for his first two years (and I realize the injury isn't his fault), then the best they'll get from him is 3 solid seasons out of 5 as a starter. The injury he suffered shelved him last year, but it wasn't a serious one and shouldn't impact his play this year. Still, it was one out of the five he'll be here, and he didn't contribute. Again, I realize it isn't his fault. He may end up being an excellent player, but if that happens, I suspect that a good portion of his good years will be spent in a uniform other than Buffalo's judging from the careers of previous Bills first round cornerbacks this past decade.

Injuries happen all the time and McKelvin was a good selection because Buffalo usually gets their DBs through the draft and do not have a history of signing CBs to 80 million dollar deals (see Nate Clements - who was also hurt last year). This is why the Spiller pick was good because RBs get hurt all the time.

If San Francisco (Nate Clements), Washington (Haynesworth) and Buffalo (Lee Evans) had it to do over again, I am not so sure that everyone would want to spend the 10 million dollars a year on these players.