Why the bills WONT take a QB tonight

Though I would make a post and perhaps put some egg on my face tomorrow.

I dont think the bills will get a QB tonight. First round QBs are extremely expensive. If you guess wrong, you hurt yourself for a while. Next year, presumably there will be a rookie cap. it will be much cheaper and less risky to draft a QB with a rookie salary cap. I suspect the bills will beef up the lines, and wait until next year before risking alot on a QB in the first round...

i agree with you 100% besides, this is a thin qb class, the odds of getting a franchise qb is better with the 2011 draft. and as you point out (and i've said before) concentrate on building the trenches first, maybe pick up another qb through trade to compete if available and rely on possibly better coaching this coming season. i don't like this years choices at qb. i guess we will know soon enough.

I dont think the bills will get a QB tonight. First round QBs are extremely expensive. If you guess wrong, you hurt yourself for a while. Next year, presumably there will be a rookie cap. it will be much cheaper and less risky to draft a QB with a rookie salary cap. I suspect the bills will beef up the lines, and wait until next year before risking alot on a QB in the first round...

Watching NFL Network all day, one of the guys stated that from a reliable source that the Bills said they will not leave tonight without a quarterback, and it won't be with the #9 pick either (that will most likely be a LT if any of the top ones are still available). I took that as they would like to move up to the end of the first round to get Tebow or Clausen, which would probably mean giving up next years #1-which will be one of the top 4 or 5 picks most likely. I wouldn't really mind seeing it, but I will believe it when I see it. There is a real good chance that next year, if a new bargaining agreement is in place, there will be a rookie salary cap, so rookies will come a whole lot cheaper towards the top of the draft. Still, if they really think one of these guys could be the future at QB, it makes sense to get him this year and get a year with him in the system instead of waiting until next year. Like they say, drafting a quarterback in the first round is the biggest risk in the draft but it can also be the biggest reward in the draft too.

Most important reason they won't take a QB in round 1 is because there isn't one worth the 9th pick. I could

imagine them taking Clausen, but I would not be very enamored with that pick.

Bingo. The only way the Bills take a QB tonite would be if they could somehow maneuver to get Bradford.

You can't win in the modern NFL without a prolific/franchise type QB. Currently the Bills don't have one on the roster. Until the Bills get one, they won't be contenders. They will continue to be at the bottom of the barrel or the middle of the pack.

That said, I'm not sure there is a franchise QB in this draft. But if the Bills think there is one, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt -- even if they take Clausen at 9 or Tebow at 41. Fact is, they NEED a QB. And you need to risk washing out on a high pick to get one.

Can't be gunshy here, people.

Watch them move back into the bottom of the first round to take Tebow or Clausen.

Stranger things have certainly happened, but I sure hope not tonite - I think the price would be too high. We've got 9 picks - we have to make the most of all of them and try to get 9 good players. It's well-known that I can't stand Clausen and think he'll be the next Matt Leinart, and I do think Tim Tebow will be there for us in the 2nd.

Their is plenty of BIG D-lineman this year. Their also are some good O-Tackles in the 2nd rd range :rolleyes: