Rolling Stones...worlds greatest rock n' roll band...

Buftex

This is a pretty damn good song. Makes me wonder about what other little treasures have been sitting in the vault all these years.

Keith Richards compiled a load of stuff (about 4 cd's worth) a few years back. He even bemoaned the fact that going through the vaults made him a little nostalgic, and melancholy, because he realized they would never be that good again. The intent was to put out a 6 disc box set, sort of like a Rolling Stones Anthology, to answer the Beatles, 2 discs would be a greatest hits, and the other 4, all unreleased stuff. The project was scraped, however, when Jagger stepped in and said he had zero interest in releasing anything that would put another penny into the pockets of Allen Klein, the Stones former manager, who owned the royalties to all of the Stones early stuff on ABCKO (the first album through "Let It Bleed")....of course Keith's take on it was that

Mick was under some sort of delusion that the Stones were still, as musically relevant as ever, and didn't want to compete with himself.

The Keith Richards anthology project was eventually widdled down to a greatest hits package, which is known as "40 Licks"...

Now, Allen Klein has since passed away, so, maybe some of that stuff will finally see the light of day...we can only hope. I have had bootlegs, for years, of lots of unreleased stuff, and there are some major gems...

Keith Richards compiled a load of stuff (about 4 cd's worth) a few years back. He even bemoaned the fact that going through the vaults made him a little nostalgic, and melancholy, because he realized they would never be that good again. The intent was to put out a 6 disc box set, sort of like a Rolling Stones Anthology, to answer the Beatles, 2 discs would be a greatest hits, and the other 4, all unreleased stuff. The project was scraped, however, when Jagger stepped in and said he had zero interest in releasing anything that would put another penny into the pockets of Allen Klein, the Stones former manager, who owned the royalties to all of the Stones early stuff on ABCKO (the first album through "Let It Bleed")....of course Keith's take on it was that

Mick was under some sort of delusion that the Stones were still, as musically relevant as ever, and didn't want to compete with himself.

The Keith Richards anthology project was eventually widdled down to a greatest hits package, which is known as "40 Licks"...

Now, Allen Klein has since passed away, so, maybe some of that stuff will finally see the light of day...we can only hope. I have had bootlegs, for years, of lots of unreleased stuff, and there are some major gems...

Send me a pm, let me know what you need in exchange for the unreleased stuff...

• 1 month later...

great stuff, thanks.

a couple other links for Stones fans...

A free to watch, 5 hour documentary, from the 60s to the 2000s called Just For The Record

lots of interviews from former band members, producers, engineers, etc. and of course, great footage

Another documentary, entitled Stones in Exile, is a soon-to-be-released DVD about the making of Exile on Main St in the south of France. The trailer is

Jimmy Fallon previewed the entire movie a couple weeks ago, it's out on the net if you look hard enough :thumbsup:

The New York Post's Tyler Gray writes a nice 4-pager on the movie and what happened in those days.

The smack arrived in a plastic bag the size of a two-pound sack of sugar, Greenfield writes, and was so potent it had to be cut with three parts glucose — hence its nickname, “cotton candy.” It lasted a month.

“With a hit of smack,” Richards says, “I could work through anything and not give a damn.”

debauchery is a good word...

enjoy!

• 1 month later...

That is an unbelievably killer tune. I bought the single on Record Store Day and have been hounding everyone I know about it since. The only downside--as little as it is--is the newly recorded vocals. If Mick's part was recorded in 71 as well this would be the sleaziest song ever. Now it's just incredibly awesome.

I purchased this album and it's pure gold. Of course, a couple of the tracks are just redux versions of songs on Exile. One Keith is clearly just filling in for Mick... its great he's just singing "etcetra" towards the end. But, several of the songs are as good as anything they've ever released. It's been in high rotation.