Jason Heyward: A Star in the Making

ajzepp

Anyone see the ending to the Braves/Rockies game today? If not, you missed a really exciting finish in the bottom of the 9th! Jason Heyward has been impressive as hell since making the team this year. Opposing pitchers have tried to make adjustments on the guy, and while it worked temporarily, Heyward adjusted and started hitting again shortly thereafter. Today he had a 3 RBI game with a clutch 2-run double in the bottom of the 9th for a comeback win over the Rockies. Not only is this kid uber-talented, he's smart and he seems to love the game.

This guy could be the foundation of the Braves franchise for the next 12-15 years.

Go Braves!!!!

Guy looks solid but then again, so did Jeff Francoeur. :thumbsup: Like you said, it will be how he deals with the adjustments. So far so good. He's had the most hype I remember since Griffey. If he has 1/2 that career (although I still feel cheated as a fan by his injury problem in Cincy), then the hype is deserved. The NL East should be interesting this year with the Braves, Phillies and Marlins.

OBTW, RBI is a meaningless stat.

/SABR'd

:censored:

Guy looks solid but then again, so did Jeff Francoeur. :thumbsup: Like you said, it will be how he deals with the adjustments. So far so good. He's had the most hype I remember since Griffey. If he has 1/2 that career (although I still feel cheated as a fan by his injury problem in Cincy), then the hype is deserved. The NL East should be interesting this year with the Braves, Phillies and Marlins.

/SABR'd

Obviously, it's early, but Franceour is off to a great start this year. And I love that Heyward is living up to the hype so far because he was getting a ton. Baseball could use a player like him.

/SABR'd

I'm still upset that we traded Frenchie, but the guy apparently needed a change of scenery. Would have loved to have seen him get it together while he was still here, though :w00t: We've been waiting for the guy who would come in here and replace Chhipper as the team leader, so I'm hoping Heyward is the guy. He's already doing things at the plate that Frenchie couldn't do, so I'm hoping this guy is the real deal. He does have a lot of hype surrounding him, and he seems to be shouldering the hope of the African American community to a large degree, too. He's taking it all in stride so far, and I'm happily on his bandwagon.

Obviously, it's early, but Franceour is off to a great start this year. And I love that Heyward is living up to the hype so far because he was getting a ton. Baseball could use a player like him.

Baseball definitely can and the BRAVES definitely can! :censored: I haven't had a guy on this team that was truly my favorite player since Dale Murphy. So far I'm really excited about this guy :thumbsup:

Baseball definitely can and the BRAVES definitely can! :censored: I haven't had a guy on this team that was truly my favorite player since Dale Murphy. So far I'm really excited about this guy :thumbsup:

You didn't love Smoltz, Maddux, or Glavine? Smoltzie was the one I always loved.

You didn't love Smoltz, Maddux, or Glavine? Smoltzie was the one I always loved.

Oh yeah, I absolutely did...but Dale Murphy changed the game for me. I was a big Andruw Jones fan, Smoltz, Justice, hell, even Rocker....but there really hasn't been a player that really had me wanting to hit the park all the time and really re-establish my love for the game since the Murph. It was just on a different level back then, even though I've always been, and always will be, a Braves fan.

I'm still upset that we traded Frenchie, but the guy apparently needed a change of scenery. Would have loved to have seen him get it together while he was still here, though :thumbsup: We've been waiting for the guy who would come in here and replace Chhipper as the team leader, so I'm hoping Heyward is the guy. He's already doing things at the plate that Frenchie couldn't do, so I'm hoping this guy is the real deal. He does have a lot of hype surrounding him, and he seems to be shouldering the hope of the African American community to a large degree, too. He's taking it all in stride so far, and I'm happily on his bandwagon.

And honestly, baseball needed this. With the departure of Bonds and Griffey's game all but gone, baseball needs another black superstar. As of right now, there's Sabathia and basically nobody else that fits into the "star" category. Heyward and the Upton brothers might be able to fill this role.

And honestly, baseball needed this. With the departure of Bonds and Griffey's game all but gone, baseball needs another black superstar. As of right now, there's Sabathia and basically nobody else that fits into the "star" category. Heyward and the Upton brothers might be able to fill this role.

Good point....I hope the guy becomes that next big star....he's off to a great start!

Oh yeah, I absolutely did...but Dale Murphy changed the game for me. I was a big Andruw Jones fan, Smoltz, Justice, hell, even Rocker....but there really hasn't been a player that really had me wanting to hit the park all the time and really re-establish my love for the game since the Murph. It was just on a different level back then, even though I've always been, and always will be, a Braves fan.

See, I'm not a Braves fan but I find it odd that you don't cite Maddux as a favorite. You could make a case for him being the most dominant pitcher of his era (though I personally think he's third to Clemens and Johnson), and unlike those guys he was a very popular teammate and quality human being to boot.

See, I'm not a Braves fan but I find it odd that you don't cite Maddux as a favorite. You could make a case for him being the most dominant pitcher of his era (though I personally think he's third to Clemens and Johnson), and unlike those guys he was a very popular teammate and quality human being to boot.

I loved having Maddux here, but it just doesn't compare to Murphy. Dale Murphy was on par with Jim Kelly for me. I wanted to see every play, every at bat, every pass, every HR of those guys....I tuned into TBS as a kid every single night, and when there wasn't a Braves game on it was a huge let down. Just like how if I couldn't see Kelly and the Bills every Sunday, it sucked big time. Heyward already has me wanting to see what he does every time he comes to the plate, and it's been a while since I've felt that way. I don't know if anyone will ever be The Murph to me again, but this guy has me wanting to watch much more intently than I have been for a long time.

Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins are both star players. And no I am not a Phillies fan, I'm a Cardinals fan, but I think it's way too early to be calling him the savior for blacks in baseball. Give him at least a season and a half to establish consistent success.

Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins are both star players. And no I am not a Phillies fan, I'm a Cardinals fan, but I think it's way too early to be calling him the savior for blacks in baseball. Give him at least a season and a half to establish consistent success.

Howard, I have to admit I just forgot. Blatant omission. Rollins is a borderline star. He's got an MVP that he probably didn't deserve, and he's only the 3rd or 4th best hitter on his own team. Not what I'd call a star.

He's going to look REAL good in a Yankee uniform in about 5 years. :thumbsup:

LOL, I can't say that fear hasn't crossed my mind, cause since the sale of this team I don't know that we're really players like the 5th largest market SHOULD be.

Anyone see the ending to the Braves/Rockies game today? If not, you missed a really exciting finish in the bottom of the 9th! Jason Heyward has been impressive as hell since making the team this year. Opposing pitchers have tried to make adjustments on the guy, and while it worked temporarily, Heyward adjusted and started hitting again shortly thereafter. Today he had a 3 RBI game with a clutch 2-run double in the bottom of the 9th for a comeback win over the Rockies. Not only is this kid uber-talented, he's smart and he seems to love the game.

This guy could be the foundation of the Braves franchise for the next 12-15 years.

Go Braves!!!!

The Braves have needed a guy like this ever since Andruw Jones fell off the face of the earth. Lets hope he can keep it up.

I watched his first ever at bat(3 run HR) on mlb tv, and was speechless.

GO BRAVES!!!!