LOL!!! HAHAHA!! Hey Schobel!

If I was a betting man, my thoughts of Schobel are as follows: He is a family man and probably talked to management to see if they can trade him to Houston to be close to his family. He probably told management that if he is not traded that he will retire as a Bill and to keep everything hush hush to both raise his trade value if he is traded and keep it quiet so if he is not traded he can retire with grace. My bet is look for him to be traded on draft day or announce his retirement immediately following.

He is taking a chapter out of the Brett Favre playbook.

The most amusing thing to me was that it is actual Schobel who seems to be writing a playbook that satisfies his desires and the Bills have demonstrated that they seem quite willing to dance to whatever tune Schobel is playing.

Schobel started out demonstrating great determination and really defined the Bills style of post Bruce DEs of high motor white guys without the can't be stopped first move but the grit to keep trying until they got results (often a sack in Schobel's case and often just a pressure in Kelsay's case). Schobel actually was pretty weak at the point of attack in his first couple of years

Interestingly he solved this problem not through the traditional solution of adding some more weight to make him tougher to move (its good when folks do this the hard way by adding muscle and too often they add weight the easy way by adding fat) Schobel however did it his way by actually losing weight as he added muscle and improved his technique. The result was him putting up sack numbers which helped him win the popularity contest of Pro Bowl voting. He also showed great athleticism in taking to the Jerry Gray version of the zone blitz and not only proved capable of doing short zone pass coverage but was even agile enough to drop back into the medium zone.

The funny case of him writing the book though was when the Bills gave Kelsay a raise he had done little on the field to deserve, Schobel actually sat out a "voluntary" workout or two even though he had just signed an extension with a significant raise and made noises about holding out.

The Bills caved and gave Schobel the huge extension he would be walking away from now.

Jason Peters actually stole a page from the Schobel book (as you mention Schobel following the Favre model) and sat out the voluntary practices after his Pro Bowl nod. Who knows why the Bills FO reacted differently but rather than caving as they did with Schobel, the Bills would not deal and Peters escalated by sitting out mandatory pre-season.

As it turned out, Peters made the right move for him contractually as he managed to win the Pro Bowl popularity contest again and he was in the drivers' seat. Ultimately the Bills FO caved to Peters needs as yes they did not sign him a big contract but yes they gave him a huge contract by caving and shopping him to the Iggles who gave him exactly the huge deal he wanted.

Schobel set the precedent for this though by throwing a little hissy fit when the Bills FO gave Kelsay more than he deserved and Schobel demonstrated by sitting out voluntary practuce that the Bills FO would cave and give a player what he demanded one way or the other.

I bet he plays one more year...He can't turn down 7 million for one year...(or whatever ridiculous amount it is.)

Then you don't know how Schoebel is wired. He made it known even before last season his body took longer to warm up before games and did not want to play if he couldn't play at a high level. The guy has integrity and is a class act. IMO he is still a very effective DE but no way I see him being able to play LB which was a ridiculous idea to begin with. He'll likely retire and go down as the most under-rated DE in Bills history.

I've always liked Schobel, thought that he gave his all on a less-than-stellar line.

His wife and three kids are calling from Texas. Time to gratefully let this guy ride gracefully into the sunset, with or without a trading pardner.

The most amusing thing to me was that it is actual Schobel who seems to be writing a playbook that satisfies his desires and the Bills have demonstrated that they seem quite willing to dance to whatever tune Schobel is playing.

Schobel started out demonstrating great determination and really defined the Bills style of post Bruce DEs of high motor white guys without the can't be stopped first move but the grit to keep trying until they got results (often a sack in Schobel's case and often just a pressure in Kelsay's case). Schobel actually was pretty weak at the point of attack in his first couple of years

Interestingly he solved this problem not through the traditional solution of adding some more weight to make him tougher to move (its good when folks do this the hard way by adding muscle and too often they add weight the easy way by adding fat) Schobel however did it his way by actually losing weight as he added muscle and improved his technique. The result was him putting up sack numbers which helped him win the popularity contest of Pro Bowl voting. He also showed great athleticism in taking to the Jerry Gray version of the zone blitz and not only proved capable of doing short zone pass coverage but was even agile enough to drop back into the medium zone.

The funny case of him writing the book though was when the Bills gave Kelsay a raise he had done little on the field to deserve, Schobel actually sat out a "voluntary" workout or two even though he had just signed an extension with a significant raise and made noises about holding out.

The Bills caved and gave Schobel the huge extension he would be walking away from now.

Jason Peters actually stole a page from the Schobel book (as you mention Schobel following the Favre model) and sat out the voluntary practices after his Pro Bowl nod. Who knows why the Bills FO reacted differently but rather than caving as they did with Schobel, the Bills would not deal and Peters escalated by sitting out mandatory pre-season.

As it turned out, Peters made the right move for him contractually as he managed to win the Pro Bowl popularity contest again and he was in the drivers' seat. Ultimately the Bills FO caved to Peters needs as yes they did not sign him a big contract but yes they gave him a huge contract by caving and shopping him to the Iggles who gave him exactly the huge deal he wanted.

Schobel set the precedent for this though by throwing a little hissy fit when the Bills FO gave Kelsay more than he deserved and Schobel demonstrated by sitting out voluntary practuce that the Bills FO would cave and give a player what he demanded one way or the other.

I did not know Shobel started the hold out thing...I was under the impression players had been doing it for decades now...ehhhh stupid me right?