If we don't trade up, trade down.

DarthICE

If you are again going to not do what it takes to get a true franchise QB, then trade down and hope we can make the team better.

I would trade down twice if possible and take a tackle, NT etc with those picks.

Please tell me who would need to trade up to our position so we could trade down or vice versa. Although this trade talk is always nice one would need a trading partner that has a need for your position.

Please tell me who would need to trade up to our position so we could trade down or vice versa. Although this trade talk is always nice one would need a trading partner that has a need for your position.

How many teams draft after the Bills? 23? So none of those teams covet a player in this draft and would be willing to trade up to get him? You know this for a fact? There's almost always trades available if you are willing to deal and you feel you get good return. I want to see the Bills trade down several times if possible and collect 2nd and 3rd round picks. I wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it, I would if we could aquire the extra picks this team needs. There's lots of quality available in rounds 2 and 3, so why get 3 of the top 75 player when it's possible to get 6 or 7 of the top 100. Perhaps one of two teams feel they are that one player away from making the playoffs or contending, however we are not that franchise.

Nevertheless, when pick #9 comes along, I'd take the entire 10 minutes to work the phones hard. If you have to make the pick, get a big time priority need, QB, NT, OT. Otherwise bail, even moving down 4 or 5 picks and getting an extra 3rd rounder would be better than picking a RB or WR.

If you are again going to not do what it takes to get a true franchise QB, then trade down and hope we can make the team better.

I would trade down twice if possible and take a tackle, NT etc with those picks.

Personally, I wouldn't trade down unless I got another second-round pick out of it. This year. And I wouldn't trade back more than 5 - 7 spots.

In other words, I wouldn't trade back unless some team is willing to pay far more than what the draft value chart says they should. If some team is willing to pay a premium, the way that Shanahan was when he wanted to pick Cutler the same year we turned down his incredible offer and selected Donte (sigh), then I pull the trigger, but otherwise, no.

We need impact players, and you're more likely to get them higher up.

How many teams draft after the Bills? 23? So none of those teams covet a player in this draft and would be willing to trade up to get him? You know this for a fact? There's almost always trades available if you are willing to deal and you feel you get good return. I want to see the Bills trade down several times if possible and collect 2nd and 3rd round picks. I wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it, I would if we could aquire the extra picks this team needs. There's lots of quality available in rounds 2 and 3, so why get 3 of the top 75 player when it's possible to get 6 or 7 of the top 100. Perhaps one of two teams feel they are that one player away from making the playoffs or contending, however we are not that franchise.

Nevertheless, when pick #9 comes along, I'd take the entire 10 minutes to work the phones hard. If you have to make the pick, get a big time priority need, QB, NT, OT. Otherwise bail, even moving down 4 or 5 picks and getting an extra 3rd rounder would be better than picking a RB or WR.

I didn't see anywhere in the post where the poster said there is no team willing to trade up. I think the point is just that it isn't as easy as saying "just trade up or down" and you get what you want. Now, the Bills don't have a top 3 or 5 pick, so maybe it would be enticing to other teams if a player they covet falls out of the top 5. But, there's no guarantee that there's a bunch of teams just waiting to move up into the 9th spot. Maybe it'll happen, maybe not.

We all know this will be true. And the Bills will take a LT and win over the fan base :rolleyes:

And when Washington trades up and Bradford leads the Redskins back to glory, at least we will have the LT to go watch leave for greener pastures! :thumbsup:

We will get a premium offensive tackle or defensive end and maybe a great OLB at 9, any of which would greatly improve the team. I suspect that the "trade down" opportunity often arises on draft day when someone covets a player who has slipped to nine who we aren't all that interested in, and we see a gem of a player a little lower in the draft (Iupati for instance or Mt. Cody.) and we think it worth the trade. I would really be surprised though as I think we will have a chance to great a really great player at nine in a position of need. However everything is pretty fluid on draft day.

That's easy, anyone who's looking to land CJ Spiller. With the success of Chris Johnson, this kid is going to get picked between 7 and 9, bank on it. Now the question will be who's the team that trades back...Browns, Raiders or Buffalo?

I didn't see anywhere in the post where the poster said there is no team willing to trade up. I think the point is just that it isn't as easy as saying "just trade up or down" and you get what you want. Now, the Bills don't have a top 3 or 5 pick, so maybe it would be enticing to other teams if a player they covet falls out of the top 5. But, there's no guarantee that there's a bunch of teams just waiting to move up into the 9th spot. Maybe it'll happen, maybe not.

I am willing to bet it has happened pretty much every year, only we don't take the offers. Hell Cleveland damn near traded out of the first round last year I believe.

That's easy, anyone who's looking to land CJ Spiller. With the success of Chris Johnson, this kid is going to get picked between 7 and 9, bank on it. Now the question will be who's the team that trades back...Browns, Raiders or Buffalo?

I wonder if this is why Gailey said we will be taking a RB. He want to entice another team to either trade above us so a better suited player will fall to us, or he's hoping we can get a draft partner if we threaten to take Spiller?

I wonder if this is why Gailey said we will be taking a RB. He want to entice another team to either trade above us so a better suited player will fall to us, or he's hoping we can get a draft partner if we threaten to take Spiller?

If the Browns and Raiders pass on trading back and Spiller is still on the board, then the Bills would be foolish not to trade back. I'll bet you that Seattle was wishing he'd still be there with their second pick.

The more I think about it, with Holmgren in charge, the Browns will probably be the team that reaps another second in return for swapping firsts with a team wanting Spiller.

The heck with this trading down nonsense. When our turn comes this team needs to get the best OT available. If the scouts believe that Bulaga or Trent Williams are capable of being legitimate LTs and they are on the board then it is time to go ahead and do it and stop this dawdling. If our scouts believe that Clausen is a franchise qb at the ninth pick then take him. I would be more amenable to trading down with our second pick but my preference is to go for quality. If Cam Thomas is there than seize him. If the Bills believe that qb McCoy can be a franchise qb then go ahead and take him.

Instead of reaching for players it is more productive to take the higher rated players at the higher spots. Trying to outsmart others and getting too cute in dealing is a recipe for failure. The constant chatter about trading down is out of proportion to the reality of the draft. The majority of teams prefer moving down and getting more picks. So consumating a deal is more wishful than real.

The heck with this trading down nonsense. When our turn comes this team needs to get the best OT available. If the scouts believe that Bulaga or Trent Williams are capable of being legitimate LTs and they are on the board then it is time to go ahead and do it and stop this dawdling. If our scouts believe that Clausen is a franchise qb at the ninth pick then take him. I would be more amenable to trading down with our second pick but my preference is to go for quality. If Cam Thomas is there than seize him. If the Bills believe that qb McCoy can be a franchise qb then go ahead and take him.

Instead of reaching for players it is more productive to take the higher rated players at the higher spots. Trying to outsmart others and getting too cute in dealing is a recipe for failure. The constant chatter about trading down is out of proportion to the reality of the draft. The majority of teams prefer moving down and getting more picks. So consumating a deal is more wishful than real.

The problem is that the highest rated players start to level off after the first six picks. Who's to say that Buluga or Williams are going to be better players than Iupati (who's said to be a mid to late 1st pick)? I don't see much of a difference. The same can be said about a few other positions. Trading back in this draft is a very good idea if it gets you another second.

The problem is that the highest rated players start to level off after the first six picks. Who's to say that Buluga or Williams are going to be better players than Iupati (who's said to be a mid to late 1st pick)? I don't see much of a difference. The same can be said about a few other positions. Trading back in this draft is a very good idea if it gets you another second.

Highly rated OTs usually go off the board very quickly. It is not unusal to see a run at that position very early in the draft. Iupati is rated fairly high for a guard or RT which are more accessible lower in the draft. Most of the ratings of players I have seen have Bulaga and Trent Williams rated higher than Iupati.

I just don't see us trading down and getting another second round pick unless we end up at the bottom of the first round. It is my view that at that point the more highly rated LTs will be gone. There are certain positions which are very difficult to fill. The LT is one of those challenging positions. If the Bills believe that that caliber of LT is available at the ninth pick then they need to just do it and stop monkeying around.

Just think, the present LTs on this team are Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell. That paltry staffing of the most critical position on the OL should give some urgency and direction to our draft strategy.

If they can trade down and gain a 1st and early 2nd round pick. I'd be happy with that.

For those screaming LT in the first, what if they have a guy tabbed in the 3rd or 4th that they feel can play at a quality level for a long time?

AGAIN.... go look at the LT's that started in the last couple of superbowls. This whole 'gotta have a all world LT' BS doesn't fly anymore. Get a QB that is worth a ****, get a 'good' LT and the rest takes care of its self.

BTW Denver and Cleveland have 'Great' / 'Pro bowl' Left tackles. It really helped them right?

Good news is that we are only 22 players away from having a Super Bowl caliber team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Da Billz :thumbsup::thumbsup:

For those screaming LT in the first, what if they have a guy tabbed in the 3rd or 4th that they feel can play at a quality level for a long time?

If you can get two quality OTs in this draft then you happily get the both of them. You act as if we have a surplus of offensive linemen. For heaven sakes, Kirk Chambers was a starter for the Bills. He shouldn't even be on a Lackawana semi-pro team let alone a NFL team. Demetrius Bell was overwhelmed like a kindergarten kid taking a MIT grad course in engineering.

Bulk up the lines and this team will have the foundation for a successful rebuilding process. You can accept that view or not. But teams such as the Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, Giants etc have had sustained success because their lines are good and tough. If you can't get your preferred qb because he is not presently attainable you don't go into a shell and cry about. You respond by improving the roster and moving forward.