E-Reader

Any opinions?

I'm thinking about picking up a Sony "pocket size" reader. I meant to buy a Kindle like 2 years ago but wasn't sure if they were worth it. Anyone own one?

Is there another thread for this?

I've played with the Kindle, Sony Reader, and Barnes & Noble's Nook. Personally, I wouldn't even take a free Sony Reader. I intend to purchase either a Kindle or Nook in the near future - I haven't decided which suits my needs best (so far the Kindle; I'm waiting for B&N to fulfill their "we have a million books available" statement before I make my final decision).

Reason I'm getting one, though, is for work - the ability to carry a whole library with me would be invaluable. I couldn't imagine reading on one for pleasure, it just lacks the "feel" of a real book.

You can apparently email PDF files to your Kindle (not sure how - each Kindle has an email address?), and it will be able to be displayed on the Kindle 2 (I don't believe that was available for the original). I can see that being useful for whitepapers, manuals, etc.

I get the impression that if you tried it for personal reading, you'd be sold -- my wife was a traditional book person and now she rarely reads "real" books...

I've played with the Kindle, Sony Reader, and Barnes & Noble's Nook. Personally, I wouldn't even take a free Sony Reader. I intend to purchase either a Kindle or Nook in the near future - I haven't decided which suits my needs best (so far the Kindle; I'm waiting for B&N to fulfill their "we have a million books available" statement before I make my final decision).

Reason I'm getting one, though, is for work - the ability to carry a whole library with me would be invaluable. I couldn't imagine reading on one for pleasure, it just lacks the "feel" of a real book.

I pre-ordered a nook just before they were being shipped, but canceled my order after I used one in a BN. Couldn't believe how unresponsive they were. Ordered a Kindle instead and really like it. Great for being able to carry around a lot of books, but bad because I buy so many more now! I think once you get one and start using it you'll be surprised how easy they are to get used to.

I know what your saying about the feel....

also, I have a B@N membership but I never entertained the idea of the Nook

Thanks for your input Tom

I pre-ordered a nook just before they were being shipped, but canceled my order after I used one in a BN. Couldn't believe how unresponsive they were. Ordered a Kindle instead and really like it. Great for being able to carry around a lot of books, but bad because I buy so many more now! I think once you get one and start using it you'll be surprised how easy they are to get used to.

Bolded and underlined for truth! I'm glad my wife is on my in-laws' account! She reads a book every few days!!! Luckily she does get a lot of the free ones. Unfortunately a lot of the free ones are "book 1 of a 7 book series" type of things. :lol:

Bolded and underlined for truth! I'm glad my wife is on my in-laws' account! She reads a book every few days!!! Luckily she does get a lot of the free ones. Unfortunately a lot of the free ones are "book 1 of a 7 book series" type of things. :lol:

Champ, the majority of the freekin books are only 10 bucks. That's a hell of a lot less than the new release hardbound, that pop in @$25 a piece.

You can apparently email PDF files to your Kindle (not sure how - each Kindle has an email address?), and it will be able to be displayed on the Kindle 2 (I don't believe that was available for the original). I can see that being useful for whitepapers, manuals, etc.

I know...a guy at work did just that for our CMMI appraisal last year. It costs money...but something like a penny or a dime a page. Easily affordable.

I get the impression that if you tried it for personal reading, you'd be sold -- my wife was a traditional book person and now she rarely reads "real" books...

I actually have tried it (co-worker's, like I said). Like I said, just lacks that certain something for me. No matter, though...if it satisfies my work usage, it's easily a good purchase, regardless of personal use.

Hell, I'm increasingly hating technology anyway. Which is an attitude that sucks, just a little bit, when you're a software developer. :lol:

Again, have seen/used/played with them. One of the dissapointing things about the Nook that I figured out early was that B&N was rushing it into the market for the holiday season before they were ready (not so much the technology's readiness, but they clearly didn't have the volume manufacturing ready, nor the library of books they were advertising). Kind-of disappointing, since that large library of books was very enticing.

I'm just going to keep checking both Amazon and B&N, and when either of them gets a decent library of books I'd read on an e-reader, buy that one. So far, neither is truly satisfactory - though if I had to buy RIGHT now for some reason, I'd get the Kindle.

Again, have seen/used/played with them. One of the dissapointing things about the Nook that I figured out early was that B&N was rushing it into the market for the holiday season before they were ready (not so much the technology's readiness, but they clearly didn't have the volume manufacturing ready, nor the library of books they were advertising). Kind-of disappointing, since that large library of books was very enticing.

I'm just going to keep checking both Amazon and B&N, and when either of them gets a decent library of books I'd read on an e-reader, buy that one. So far, neither is truly satisfactory - though if I had to buy RIGHT now for some reason, I'd get the Kindle.

I know you said you've used them, I think using them is different than owning one and always having it available.

Anyway, the Nook uses E-book, open source so you should be able to find almost anything you want, maybe just not on the BN site.