The Marketing Genius of the Buffalo Bills

McClane

It's not just the marketing angle which is subpar, but the communications department as well. There was the question of whether DJ received an extension, Peters' hold out, RW's ring ceremony being cancelled late, the team photo, Nix' press conference, and a litany of other more minor issues. It almost seems like a banana republic masquerading as legitimate country surrounded by developed nations.

I can't speak for other teams, but my sense remains that anything coming from OBD is tightly controlled. Even still, it's not as professional as I'd expect from a NFL franchise. Scott Berchtold seems to be in over his head as well, but it may be he's dealing with Ralph/Littman and others who give him a crap sandwich to deal with.

you're right on the money with this one BillsVet. I've said before that Berchtold and the Bill's approach to MarCom is unprofessional and makes the team look like amateurs. It's going to be interesting to see if Buddy Nix and co have an affect on that or not.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told him in the very first reply that I was not interested in purchasing season tickets and under no circumstances was I going to purchase them and would they please stop contacting me about them.

:beer::ph34r::worthy::beer: :beer: :beer:

Yep, I say the same thing with every marketing e-mail I respond to as well. Too bad (for my spam filter anyway) there's no living human being involved in the process who actually reads them, so your comments are like spit'n in the wind.

But they are amazing. They do just enough every year to sill out Rich Stadium. Enough to get us hooked. To give us optimism for the season. Enough to believe they've just turned the corner. By signing the Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis' of the world. Enough to make a move, to make us believe it was an amazing "Coup" to get such and such a player. Either they are great in marketing or we are just all fools....

Yep, I say the same thing with every marketing e-mail I respond to as well. Too bad (for my spam filter anyway) there's no living human being involved in the process who actually reads them, so your comments are like spit'n in the wind.

The season ticket department, at least the person I was dealing with, was real. He answered specific questions I had but just wouldn't give up. I'm guessing they get commissions.

But they are amazing. They do just enough every year to sill out Rich Stadium. Enough to get us hooked. To give us optimism for the season. Enough to believe they've just turned the corner. By signing the Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis' of the world. Enough to make a move, to make us believe it was an amazing "Coup" to get such and such a player. Either they are great in marketing or we are just all fools....

I honestly think this is the year it doesn't happen. People are pretty tired of watching this team strive for mediocrity for a decade and I don't see how they can sell us on there being a light at the end of the tunnel this year. I'm also not seeing another T.O./Bledsoe signing that will put butts in seats on name alone. Add to that that times are pretty tough economically and I think this is the year where a bunch of games don't sell out. Unless the Bills start out red hot like they did in 2008, there's nothing to fill the house this year.

I got this "custom" picture today in the mail from the Buffalo Bills in an effort to get me to renew my season tickets.

Absolutely pathetic.

It is a picture of the Bills punting out of their own end zone in a game that they will eventually lose to the Cleveland Browns 6-3.

This picture encapsulates exactly why I will not be renewing my season tickets this year.

Morons.

Not sure if this was posted, but even if it was, this is still funny (or sad):

https://sites.google.com/site/thempsproject...e-buffalo-bills

It's funny. But sad, pathetic funny. The 6-3 loss to the Browns was a low point for me. Can't remember exaclty but Derek Anderson only completed like three passes for 17 yards and that was good enough for the winning QB. :worthy:

It's funny. But sad, pathetic funny. The 6-3 loss to the Browns was a low point for me. Can't remember exaclty but Derek Anderson only completed like three passes for 17 yards and that was good enough for the winning QB. :worthy:

Two. 2-for-17 for 23 yards. Those numbers are seared into my brain, the only memorable thing about an eminently forgettable game. When Roscoe botched that punt, I silently thanked him for keeping the game from going into overtime ...

I'd say some of both...

Back in the 80's when the team was 2-14 they were bad enough to warrant change and the owner made changes to the coaching staff again and again, but it wasn't until Bill Polian was hired as GM from 1986 to 1993 did the Bills start to get good. Kinda funny that he got the job only because the GM at the time had a heart attack and he was able to sign Bruce Smith in the GM's place. Not like anyone at OBD was smart enough to tag this guy as GM on merit alone.

Notice the correlation of 1986-1993, they started to get good after 86 and started to go south after 93. Shoot, I didn't know Bill Polian from a bag of beans, and when he hired Marv Levy, who at the time the media crucified as running the wing T at KC as his other NFL HC gig, I was very skeptical about them both.

But then Polian had talked Ralph Wilson into coughing up the money to pay Jim Kelly,a huge coup for Polian. The guy had to fight tooth fang and claw to convince the owner you need to spend money to make money.

Then the media announced that the Bills / Marv Levy had hired Ted Marchibroda as the offensive coordinator, as soon as I read about that hiring and saw how they had started to change for the better in 87. I purchased season tickets in 1988 and held them until 1994, they were awesome seats because nobody wanted season tickets back then.

I knew Ted Marchibroda from his days as HC with the Colts and a QB named Bert Jones in the late 70's. Ted mentored Bert Jones and I knew the type of offense he would run in Buffalo with Jim Kelly, I was excited.

What I'm trying to say here is, that "IF" the Buffalo Bills are to regain their glory of the early 90's, they will need to start at the top with the GM. then a good head coach, great offensive coordinator, some great players.

The current state of the franchise: They hired a new GM and HC, and the HC hired a bunch of college coaches...(uh oh,learning curve). The Bills haven't been lousy enough to get the #1 overall pick... so they won't get a boy named Suh!

Currently the Bills don't have one super star on their entire roster, NOT ONE! Some players on defense might reach that point eventually, and Lee Evans and Fred Jackson are close, but no cigar. They don't have Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, no O line, and by the time they do get a build a team and O line and get a star QB, both Lee Evans and Fred Jackson will be ready to retire.

From my view, all you current season ticket holders are in "hope mode" and still hoping the Bills can regain their form from the early 90's. Sorry, but I don't see playoffs for at least 3+ years, and winning a playoff game in the AFC East might take 5 years, providing that Nix and Gailey are indeed the answer.

So if you can afford to back an inferior product, feel free. They won't get my money until I know the owner will spend the money to put the product on the field and sidelines. The guy owns a near billion dollar franchise and runs it like a k-mart. This latest debacle with losing Jason Peters and then not replacing him in the draft shows me that the owner doesn't care enough about winning to hire competent personnel to run his team, and perhaps still doesn't.

So if you can afford to back an inferior product, feel free. They won't get my money until I know the owner will spend the money to put the product on the field and sidelines. The guy owns a near billion dollar franchise and runs it like a k-mart. This latest debacle with losing Jason Peters and then not replacing him in the draft shows me that the owner doesn't care enough about winning to hire competent personnel to run his team, and perhaps still doesn't.

You need to keep up, we've had about six more debacles since that one.

I'd say some of both...

Back in the 80's when the team was 2-14 they were bad enough to warrant change and the owner made changes to the coaching staff again and again, but it wasn't until Bill Polian was hired as GM from 1986 to 1993 did the Bills start to get good. Kinda funny that he got the job only because the GM at the time had a heart attack and he was able to sign Bruce Smith in the GM's place. Not like anyone at OBD was smart enough to tag this guy as GM on merit alone.

Notice the correlation of 1986-1993, they started to get good after 86 and started to go south after 93. Shoot, I didn't know Bill Polian from a bag of beans, and when he hired Marv Levy, who at the time the media crucified as running the wing T at KC as his other NFL HC gig, I was very skeptical about them both.

But then Polian had talked Ralph Wilson into coughing up the money to pay Jim Kelly,a huge coup for Polian. The guy had to fight tooth fang and claw to convince the owner you need to spend money to make money.

Then the media announced that the Bills / Marv Levy had hired Ted Marchibroda as the offensive coordinator, as soon as I read about that hiring and saw how they had started to change for the better in 87. I purchased season tickets in 1988 and held them until 1994, they were awesome seats because nobody wanted season tickets back then.

I knew Ted Marchibroda from his days as HC with the Colts and a QB named Bert Jones in the late 70's. Ted mentored Bert Jones and I knew the type of offense he would run in Buffalo with Jim Kelly, I was excited.

What I'm trying to say here is, that "IF" the Buffalo Bills are to regain their glory of the early 90's, they will need to start at the top with the GM. then a good head coach, great offensive coordinator, some great players.

The current state of the franchise: They hired a new GM and HC, and the HC hired a bunch of college coaches...(uh oh,learning curve). The Bills haven't been lousy enough to get the #1 overall pick... so they won't get a boy named Suh!

Currently the Bills don't have one super star on their entire roster, NOT ONE! Some players on defense might reach that point eventually, and Lee Evans and Fred Jackson are close, but no cigar. They don't have Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, no O line, and by the time they do get a build a team and O line and get a star QB, both Lee Evans and Fred Jackson will be ready to retire.

From my view, all you current season ticket holders are in "hope mode" and still hoping the Bills can regain their form from the early 90's. Sorry, but I don't see playoffs for at least 3+ years, and winning a playoff game in the AFC East might take 5 years, providing that Nix and Gailey are indeed the answer.

We won less game without Peters. He is not an elite LT and is paid like one. Eagles fans were generally disappointed with him.

We won less game without Peters. He is not an elite LT and is paid like one. Eagles fans were generally disappointed with him.

Eagles fans are duped as he was named to the "Shmoe" Bowl, but radio guys know what a joke and turnstyle this guy is.