Ukraine Election

/dev/null

Not weirder, just entirely consistant with a country run by Soviet era corrupt scumbags and ex-KGB. Quite a few of the old Soviet republics are run by even worse men than these, but these are bad enough (murder and beheading of a journalist too critical of government corruption quickly made sure all the media pretty much followed the party line).

Cracks do seem to be appearing (the media is using the protests to now start getting critical of the government after years of propaganda) and it appears the military can not be trusted by the current regime to simply put down the demonstrations, so things may at last be getting better for the Ukrainians, one can hope.

What amazes me is the Bush Admin speaking out how they can not accept this election when here in the US similar reports or claims of voter fraud also exist. Maybe we are starting to set a good example in the world on how to run elections.

really? Groups of people attacked voting locations here in the USA? Acid was poured into ballot boxes here in the US? Invisible ink was used this election?

I hadn't heard that stuff.

What amazes me is the Bush Admin speaking out how they can not accept this election when here in the US similar reports or claims of voter fraud also exist.  Maybe we are starting to set a good example in the world on how to run elections.

136864[/snapback]

The Ukraine election was a total fraud from start to finish. The media only 'backed' the party candidate, 95% turnout in areas loyal to the party where over 95% of the electorate voted for the party man, lost ballots, phantom voters, the fraud was huge.

The US election was reasonably fair (there are ALWAYS some discrepencies even in the best run elections in the most democratic of elections) and the man with the most votes won (well this time around). No matter whether you (or I for that matter) like the end result or not.

Elections were not alike at all.

really? Groups of people attacked voting locations here in the USA? Acid was poured into ballot boxes here in the US? Invisible ink was used this election?

I hadn't heard that stuff.

136896[/snapback]

Ours is more subtle...

The way we vote has been quickly outpaced by technology.

We have such a decentalized voting system... there is absolutely no way to pin anything on anyone.

Like I said before... Our presidential election has to be independent from all other races... What harm would that cause? They already collect taxes at that level. It is the only thing I have in common with you with regards to voting.

It is absurd we have presidential races by county.

What happens if I have property in another state? Does that mean I can't vote on their referendums which might have an effect on my taxes for that property? Why the hell does the presidential race have to be "tacked on." What is stopping me from voting twice for president?... Like the county will check into it?

It is the only race that needs to be independent.