Finally, The Gov't Wants to Spend $ Wisely

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/16/...for-faster-web/

When you hear $15 billion to achieve internet speeds to the entire country that is 25 times faster than what we have today in only 10 years, it sounds like one hell of a bargain considering the spending of the last 10 years.

Probably the smartest investment I've seen our gov't make in my lifetime.

Ok...now this article says $350 billion.

Still not a bad investment.

I can't imagine why the government would spend a nickel on this. If there is a market for faster internet service, the providers of these services will build out the infrastructure and sell the service to those that want to buy it.

I can't imagine why the government would spend a nickel on this. If there is a market for faster internet service, the providers of these services will build out the infrastructure and sell the service to those that want to buy it.

Because it would accelerate the US transition out of the stone age and into the information age. In 10 years everybody will have access to high speed internet, everything could move over to data. Letting private companies handle it means it prob won't happen in our lifetime. It'd pay off long term for growth in the US and create jobs, it'd have the same impact as Eisenhower's highway system.

I marketed Verizon FiOS for two years when nobody knew what it was, I know the way they think.

Because it would accelerate the US transition out of the stone age and into the information age. In 10 years everybody will have access to high speed internet, everything could move over to data. Letting private companies handle it means it prob won't happen in our lifetime. It'd pay off long term for growth in the US and create jobs, it'd have the same impact as Eisenhower's highway system.

I marketed Verizon FiOS for two years when nobody knew what it was, I know the way they think.

Stick to bashing quarterbacks. Stone age technology-wise? Where the hell are you hiding?

Won't happen in our lifetime if private companies do it?

Stick to bashing quarterbacks. Stone age technology-wise? Where the hell are you hiding?

Won't happen in our lifetime if private companies do it?

Yes, stone age, 100 million americans don't have high speed internet, that's 1 in 3. Ever been to England? Way more advanced technologically in every day life than we are.

Yes, won't happen. Wiring for Verizon FiOS started over 5 years ago in NY and guess what? Most don't have access to it. I live in NYC and I don't even have access to it. You think they could bring access to EVERYBODY in 10 years?

Yes, stone age, 100 million americans don't have high speed internet, that's 1 in 3.

Anyone else remember the 1970's, when we were beating each other about the head with mastodon femurs and trying to stay warm at night without the benefits of fire? I'm so glad we've finally reached the Stone Age.

Ever been to England? Way more advanced technologically in every day life than we are.

You say that as though it's a good thing.

Because all Americans need is greater access to Twitter and Facebook. You let kids play with loaded handguns, too?

Here's what "free" health care and "free" internet costs in the UK.

2010-11 income tax rates

Basic rate: 20% £0 - 37,400

Higher rate: 40% £37,401-£150,000

Additional rate: 50% Over £150,000

British pound = $1.51.