Jordan vs Kobe

NewEra

Kobe vs Jordan  

53 members have voted

1. 1. MJ is the "greatest" NBA player ever, who is the "best"?

• MJ
    • Kobe
    • Neither

Jordan is the 'greatest" of all time. But who's the "best", in your opinion and why? I've been having this discussion with a couple of my friends over the last few months, and I wanted to see other peoples takes on the matter. Vote if you watch basketball and have seen the 2 play a number of times, please.

If you watch what Kobe has done on the court over the last 10 years, it is debatable. I see the greatest and the best as 2 different "titles" so to speak. Jordan was my favorite player growing up and I've watched way too many games in which Jordan played. He's the "greatest" due to what he did on the court + how many rings he has + what he did for the sport and the commercialization of sports in general. There will never be another Jordan. When I watch Kobe play, night after night (I live in Vegas and every Laker game is televised) I can't help but think "He's the best player I've ever seen". While Jordans 4th qtr heroics go without saying, Kobe does it better then anyone I've ever seen when the game's on the line. And he is the best player I've ever seen.

I'm sure many people will say neither, who and why?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for last Sunday, though, right?? :wallbash:

*is a Magic fan*

Sorry, but to me Jordan was the better Basketball Player. Honestly, if I were starting a team and picking from current players, Kobe wouldn't even be my first choice, maybe not even my 2nd choice.

No doubt a Hall of Famer, and also top 5 all-time, but not better than Jordan and when all is said and done, maybe not as good as Lebron either.

Good to see we have some basketball fans amongst us. I love Magic, he helped make my favorite player of all times, James Worthy, into one of the games greatest. WHile Magic definitely made everyone around him better, he lacked in one department that Kobe and Jordan excel, Defense. Kobe and Jordan, in their primes were the best one on one defenders in the league. While LeBron is physically the freakiest basketball player, if not athlete, I've seen in all my years, Wilt and Shaq included, he doesn't have that killer instinct Jordan and Kobe had. He may eventually have it, but he doesn't right now. Before the Lakers had acquired Artest, Kobe would guard LeBron about 75% of the time (odom 25%), while LeBron would rarely guard Kobe. The best should be begging for that opportunity, but Lebron doesn't seem to want it. LeBrons accomplishments defensively are for his off the ball defense. His mid-range game is average at BEST. He's an incredible finisher and his ability to get to the rack is second to none. His passing is off the charts. He is amazing, the best athlete I've ever seen. This poll is about the best ever, not the best right now. LeBron MAY eventually be the best (needs get himself at least 2 rings 1st), but he's not even in the conversation right now.

Good to see we have some basketball fans amongst us. I love Magic, he helped make my favorite player of all times, James Worthy, into one of the games greatest. WHile Magic definitely made everyone around him better, he lacked in one department that Kobe and Jordan excel, Defense. Kobe and Jordan, in their primes were the best one on one defenders in the league. While LeBron is physically the freakiest basketball player, if not athlete, I've seen in all my years, Wilt and Shaq included, he doesn't have that killer instinct Jordan and Kobe had. He may eventually have it, but he doesn't right now. Before the Lakers had acquired Artest, Kobe would guard LeBron about 75% of the time (odom 25%), while LeBron would rarely guard Kobe. The best should be begging for that opportunity, but Lebron doesn't seem to want it. LeBrons accomplishments defensively are for his off the ball defense. His mid-range game is average at BEST. He's an incredible finisher and his ability to get to the rack is second to none. His passing is off the charts. He is amazing, the best athlete I've ever seen. This poll is about the best ever, not the best right now. LeBron MAY eventually be the best (needs get himself at least 2 rings 1st), but he's not even in the conversation right now.

I should have clarified in my post, I'm an Orlando Magic fan, not a Magic Johnson fan (although I did like Magic as a player). That was why I referenced last Sunday's game. It was one of the best games I've ever watched.

I like Kobe as a player, and like I said, he's got to be 2nd or 3rd best player in the league right now. I just don't think his accomplishments or skill were quite as good as Jordans. Tough to compare because of the differences in the game, but I still lean towards MJ.

Cool thread, btw. Good to see there are still some NBA fans left. Over the years, the players have diminished the Leagues repuation, but I still enjoy watching. Dwight Howard, aside from his impressive talent, is a great person and does tons for the community. He's a breath of fresh air for the League for sure.

kobe isnt even the best player in the league right now, lebron is.......and magic johnson is the best player ever. take 8 scrubs, give four to jordan, four to magic.........magics team will win.....

Unless one of Magic's 4 scrubs is a lock down defender, Jordan's team wins by a ton. There is no way Magic could guard Jordan.

Kobe is the greastest rapist ever to play the game.

oh yeah...he raped the girl that had her underwear examined. The examination showed 3 different guys sperm on it. That's one pair of underwear, not all of her underwear. He raped her, lol. Yeaaaaaah!!! You're one of THOSE guys huh

No doubt. Never said that or implied that.

So you dont think there's "special rules" for the NBA's elite?

of course...I think the NBA should have the same rules as the NCAA, and enforce them across the board. But even in the NCAA, calls vary from day to day, official to official...that's true even in high school ball.

of course...I think the NBA should have the same rules as the NCAA, and enforce them across the board. But even in the NCAA, calls vary from day to day, official to official...that's true even in high school ball.

Speaking of NCAA. 64 or 96? I like it the way it is. Sure some teams get shafted, but that wont change even if they did add more teams. Its watered down enough already, no?

Its all about the money, dude.

Speaking of NCAA. 64 or 96? I like it the way it is. Sure some teams get shafted, but that wont change even if they did add more teams. Its watered down enough already, no?

Its all about the money, dude.

64...but I'd get rid of the automatic bids, those teams although sentimental cinderella stories are just cannon fodder.

64...but I'd get rid of the automatic bids, those teams although sentimental cinderella stories are just cannon fodder.

I know it's rare that one of the auto bid teams goes anywhere, but the George Mason run to the Final Four was one of the best sports stories of the decade. Just sayin.

Also, I enjoy the sense of egalitarianism that goes along with the conference tournaments, then the NCAA tournament. No matter how small or seemingly insignificant your team is, if they keep winning they keep playing. I think that's sorta cool.