Jordan vs Kobe

NewEra

Kobe vs Jordan  

53 members have voted

1. 1. MJ is the "greatest" NBA player ever, who is the "best"?

• MJ
    • Kobe
    • Neither

I know it's rare that one of the auto bid teams goes anywhere, but the George Mason run to the Final Four was one of the best sports stories of the decade. Just sayin.

Also, I enjoy the sense of egalitarianism that goes along with the conference tournaments, then the NCAA tournament. No matter how small or seemingly insignificant your team is, if they keep winning they keep playing. I think that's sorta cool.

I agree but there will be some really "legit" teams that are left out, teams that could have a real shot at knocking out a big time team right off the bat.

Right now this is how it looks:

ON THE BUBBLE

Last Four In

Memphis

Arizona State

San Diego State

Illinois

First Four Out

Washington

Seton Hall

Rhode Island

Ole Miss

Next Four Out

Dayton

UAB

Mississippi State

Minnesota

Look at the RPI and SOS of the automatic bids...how do they match those 8 teams?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For traveling and palming the ball? For not having fouls called against them? Yup they’re both the greatest.

sigh at people like you. Every superstar gets superstar calls. You act as if they paid someone to to get superstar status and the calls. they earned it.

How about Bill Russell?

11 championships. Just think about that for a second. 11.

Plus, the greatest defensive player to ever live. When most people talk greatest ever, they only think of offense (which Russell had by the bushel) but 50% of the game is preventing the other team from scoring.

He's one of the reason I put Neither as an option. Russell, Kareem, Wilt, Magic and Oscar Robertson are all great.

So !@#$ the integrity of the game. Got it.

It is what it is. You still act like kobe and Jordan forced the refs into it. This thread is about the best of all time. whether or not the refs give superstar treatment is irrelevent. WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

he doesn't like the NBA.

I have a lot of friends that don't follow hoops anymore. They used to be die hards as well, but have lost interest in the game. Not sure if its the game they've lost interest in, or the demographics that have taken over the sport. The attitudes of many of the players seems to be driving people away in bunches. Sad but true.

young lad

<<35. Been watching and playing sports my entire life. My love for sports has scared away many a woman. Please don't undermine my sports knowledge, as the bball players say, you don't know me.

I have a lot of friends that don't follow hoops anymore. They used to be die hards as well, but have lost interest in the game. Not sure if its the game they've lost interest in, or the demographics that have taken over the sport. The attitudes of many of the players seems to be driving people away in bunches. Sad but true.

That's why I love college hoops...the NBA is okay, sometimes it can be amazing...sometimes boring.

Maybe some have stoped waching the NBA because the lack of integrity in the game that you so much as said players have earned the right to cheat. Says alot about you, so yes I know you enough, thanks.

young lad

<<35. Been watching and playing sports my entire life. My love for sports has scared away many a woman. Please don't undermine my sports knowledge, as the bball players say, you don't know me.

So breaking the rules is OK with you? That kinda says alot about your sports knowledge. Sorry dude.

Maybe some have stoped waching the NBA because the lack of integrity in the game that you so much as said players have earned the right to cheat. Says alot about you, so yes I know you enough, thanks.

I would agrue they earned the right to be sloppy, not cheat...the league and the refs allow it so how is it cheating?

WOW....I'm NOT AGREEING WITH IT. IT IS WHAT IT IS. There's nothing I can do about it. There's nothing anyone can do about it, but the referees themselves. WHAT POINT ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE?

Your first post in this thread: For traveling and palming the ball? For not having fouls called against them? Yup they’re both the greatest.

You said it yourself, all of the superstars get calls. So you're saying the best player ever is someone who isn't a superstar, because they don't get superstar calls? You really make no sense. You turned this into a bash on my integrity, because I think that Jordan or Kobe is the best ever, and they happen to get superstar calls. So I should think the best player of all times is Eddie Lee Wilkins because he never got calls? WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

I love Magic, he helped make my favorite player of all times, James Worthy, into one of the games greatest. WHile Magic definitely made everyone around him better, he lacked in one department that Kobe and Jordan excel, Defense. Kobe and Jordan, in their primes were the best one on one defenders in the league.

Magic, like Jordan, was one heck of a help defender. Jordan's one on one defense was good, but not all time greatest good (Jordan may be the best help defender I saw play, I would add). Dennis Rodman was a far better one on one defender; even getting Jordan to foul out while locking 'em up in one contest. True, Magic wasn't as great a man defender as either Jordan or Kobe, but he did well enough to average nearly 2 steals per game for his career, finishing 15th in the category all time and still has Kobe by nearly 200 steals by the start of the current season even though his career was 100 games shorter than Kobe. Not too shabby for a guy "lacking" in defense.

While LeBron is physically the freakiest basketball player, if not athlete, I've seen in all my years, Wilt and Shaq included, he doesn't have that killer instinct Jordan and Kobe had.

Wilt not as great an athlete as LeBron????? Wow. You do realize that, in addition to being a phenom on the hardcourt, Wilt was also an outstanding track athlete. The guy was a standout sprinter, shot putter, triple jumper, and a 3 time conference champ in the high jump while @ Kansas. He was known for being unbelievably strong and fast for a guy his size. I don't know if there has been a guy who was as well rounded an athlete as the Big Dipper.

As for the best ever NBAer....I've contended it's been Magic Johnson for years. No, he wasn't as dominant a scorer as Jordan, but it wasn't 'cause he COULDN'T do it (see Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals as proof of how he could score....@ CENTER, no less!), just 'cause he would rather set up his teammates (which led to 'em being the all time assist king @ the time of his retirement) and having a well rounded game (only the Big O, Oscar Robertson, had more triple doubles than Magic and he's 'bout 3 boards a game away from AVERAGING a triple double for his entire career). To Magic, it wasn't all 'bout the points.

Magic, like Jordan, was one heck of a help defender. Jordan's one on one defense was good, but not all time greatest good (Jordan may be the best help defender I saw play, I would add). Dennis Rodman was a far better one on one defender; even getting Jordan to foul out while locking 'em up in one contest. True, Magic wasn't as great a man defender as either Jordan or Kobe, but he did well enough to average nearly 2 steals per game for his career, finishing 15th in the category all time and still has Kobe by nearly 200 steals by the start of the current season even though his career was 100 games shorter than Kobe. Not too shabby for a guy "lacking" in defense.

Wilt not as great an athlete as LeBron????? Wow. You do realize that, in addition to being a phenom on the hardcourt, Wilt was also an outstanding track athlete. The guy was a standout sprinter, shot putter, triple jumper, and a 3 time conference champ in the high jump while @ Kansas. He was known for being unbelievably strong and fast for a guy his size. I don't know if there has been a guy who was as well rounded an athlete as the Big Dipper.

As for the best ever NBAer....I've contended it's been Magic Johnson for years. No, he wasn't as dominant a scorer as Jordan, but it wasn't 'cause he COULDN'T do it (see Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals as proof of how he could score....@ CENTER, no less!), just 'cause he would rather set up his teammates (which led to 'em being the all time assist king @ the time of his retirement) and having a well rounded game (only the Big O, Oscar Robertson, had more triple doubles than Magic and he's 'bout 3 boards a game away from AVERAGING a triple double for his entire career). To Magic, it wasn't all 'bout the points.

Well put. When talking about the freakiest athlete ever, I considered Wilts attributes. But if you were to put those head up 1v1 in a battery of combine tests, I'm pretty sure LeBron would DOMINATE in just about every category. I know he's not as tall as Wilt, bu their weight is comparable (260-275). LeBron is doing what he is doing against athletes 10x stronger then Wilt was. Sure, IF Wilt played today, he'd be bigger and stronger, but he wouldn't be nearly as dominant. I'm not saying Wilt wasn't a freak, he sure was, but LeBron is on a different level, jmo.

I can't argue with you about Magic, I can only say he was amazing and I loved watching him. One of the best I've ever seen. His help defense is better than what I gave him credit for. I shouldn't have said he was lacking defensively, but lacking in his 1v1 defense. He is no where near as good as Kobe 1v1, but probably a little better at help D. His steals are much higher for a couple reasons. Magic came into the league as a polished player. May have been the best player in the league as a rookie. It took Kobe almost 10 years to grow into the best. I think kobe at his best, is better then Magic at his best. again, jmo.