I don't understand the frustration

The reason we are not signing FA's is the same reason most of the other teams aren't. The available FA pool this year is shallow, due to all the tender offers that were available to teams. There have only been 2-3 free agents available that would be top free agents regardless of the CBA situation. Most teams have decided to keep their picks instead of signing tendered players.

Most of the FA's worth a grain of salt were over 30. This team is in full blown rebuild mold. Why spend significant money on any player over 30 when you're rebuilding? Rebuilding means you start getting rid of players that don't fit into your future (we did that). Second you only sign FA's that are young that you feel will become good players or are good and will still be, at the time your team is ready to legitimately contend (there hasn't been any FA's that fit that bill). Or sign free agents that stop the bleeding (hence Green). Lastly you build through the draft.

In addition the second and third tear FA's are still out there. The market is determining their value as we speak.

If you disagree, list the top ten free agents you wish we would have signed.

I only have 3.....Ben Watson 28, Dwan Edwards 28, Antonio Bryant 29.

I'm not saying these 3 players wouldn't be fine FA signings, but they aren't impact players to take this team over any sort of proverbial hump. Say its 3 years from now that we become a team with a legitimate chance to be over 500. These players will be 31-32-or even 33, by then we will be in a situation with their 4-5 year contracts and be stuck, and for what?, sign these players and win 4-6 games still? I don't get the point.

I honestly was never expecting big name superstar signings, but hoping for the guys I listed. I believe they can strengthen their respective units and are all at an age where they should pretty much play out their contracts. I don't expect a 1 year turnaround like the Dolphins had but no way should the Bills approach this thing like a 3-4 year plan either. Ah well, it doesn't look like the year to overpay anyways. I still like Watson and Nelson as a very good combo though..... :wallbash:

The reason we are not signing FA's is the same reason most of the other teams aren't. The available FA pool this year is shallow, due to all the tender offers that were available to teams. There have only been 2-3 free agents available that would be top free agents regardless of the CBA situation. Most teams have decided to keep their picks instead of signing tendered players.

Most of the FA's worth a grain of salt were over 30. This team is in full blown rebuild mold. Why spend significant money on any player over 30 when you're rebuilding? Rebuilding means you start getting rid of players that don't fit into your future (we did that). Second you only sign FA's that are young that you feel will become good players or are good and will still be, at the time your team is ready to legitimately contend (there hasn't been any FA's that fit that bill). Or sign free agents that stop the bleeding (hence Green). Lastly you build through the draft.

In addition the second and third tear FA's are still out there. The market is determining their value as we speak.

Totally agree, great post.

The only thing I'll add is this: why would a rebuilding team spend any significant money on FAs when (1) they don't expect to be in the playoff hunt this season (sad, but true) and (2) there may not even be a 2011 season.

What Nix and Whaley are doing makes perfect sense to me...wait until the market is set, get a servicable RT (perhaps that's Green), maybe add a WR, DE, and/or LB, then draft a LT, NT, QB, and rush LB (maybe not in that order).

I don't understand the frustration, with not signing FA's:

Let's see-A team that is probably in the bottom 5 teams in the NFL in talent, doing nothing to get better=Frustration!

I didn't think you had a list of 10 guys we should have signed. What players didn't we sign that have you so frustrated? I'm frustrated too, but its only because there aren't many viable FA's to sign. I'm also frustrated because it's going to be at least a 2 year wait before signing high priced FA's even makes sense for this team. So patience will be my biggest obstacle.

But, I am not frustrated we haven't signed any high priced FA's this off season, because it doesn't make much sense for two reasons. One is there weren't any that fit our rebuilding situation or our extreme positional needs, and second this years crop is as low as its been in a decade.

I'm not saying these 3 players wouldn't be fine FA signings, but they aren't impact players to take this team over any sort of proverbial hump. Say its 3 years from now that we become a team with a legitimate chance to be over 500. These players will be 31-32-or even 33, by then we will be in a situation with their 4-5 year contracts and be stuck, and for what?, sign these players and win 4-6 games still? I don't get the point.

How has building a team around the draft been going for the past decade? We've drafted some decent players over that time, some very good ones, too.

Big deal. Nothing happened.

Really?, you only take FAs to get your team over the playoff hump or to become benchwarming "depth" players?

Look at the three guys listed above---none will be very expensive. All are young veterans. All could probably have a positive impact on this team now.

It's better to wait a few years (and another few years) until lightning strikes a sufficient number of times for this crew to draft a playoff team? If, in 3 years, a guy like Ben Watson sucks, guess what--you let him go!

I don't understand the frustration, with not signing FA's:

Let's see-A team that is probably in the bottom 5 teams in the NFL in talent, doing nothing to get better=Frustration!

Bull ****. Sometimes doing nothing IS doing something. We are not going to run out like the morons, Donahoe, Levy and Brandon and just sign anyone to a contract to appease fans. That **** has got us in trouble for years now. You B word and whine like a schoolgirl that we have sucked for years...well we have ran out for years and signed free agents right off the bat!

One more time for the slow children on the board....they ARE doing something. They are waiting for the first wave of overhyped, overpaid FA's to pass. They most likely have a list of mid tier guys they want to bring in. They are mostly working the draft boards and getting ready to bring in talent the RIGHT way, through the DRAFT.

Now I know you whiny madden mentality folks want it NOW but NOW isn't going to happen. You have been told by our GM we are NOT going to go out and sign flashy names, and we are NOT going to get this turned around in just one offseason. So time to deal with those two facts!

I didn't think you had a list of 10 guys we should have signed. What players didn't we sign that have you so frustrated? I'm frustrated too, but its only because there aren't many viable FA's to sign. I'm also frustrated because it's going to be at least a 2 year wait before signing high priced FA's even makes sense for this team. So patience will be my biggest obstacle.

But, I am not frustrated we haven't signed any high priced FA's this off season, because it doesn't make much sense for two reasons. One is there weren't any that fit our rebuilding situation or our extreme positional needs, and second this years crop is as low as its been in a decade.

What have we done to get better that has you so giddy and excited for 2010?

I think it's just that we have seen these guys we currently have... they played a lot of uninteresting, uninspired, boring and BAD football. Some of them for more than a few years now. I think people look at it like "if the core players we currently have are so good and are on the verge, then why can they not score, defend, or more importantly WIN?" Why are we not talking to people who have had some success or may be the right team away from being good?

I wonder the same things... especially on the Offensive line which was just GOD AWFUL. I'd like to see more activity there and I just really want to see a fresh face competing for the starting QB gig.

How has building a team around the draft been going for the past decade? We've drafted some decent players over that time, some very good ones, too.

Big deal. Nothing happened.

Really?, you only take FAs to get your team over the playoff hump or to become benchwarming "depth" players?

Look at the three guys listed above---none will be very expensive. All are young veterans. All could probably have a positive impact on this team now.

It's better to wait a few years (and another few years) until lightning strikes a sufficient number of times for this crew to draft a playoff team? If, in 3 years, a guy like Ben Watson sucks, guess what--you let him go!

You can't look at it that way when a new front office and coaching staff has been put into place. It's starting over (for them).

Obviously for the fans it isn't like starting over, because we've been here for the last decade going through all this. The fact is, none of what the previous staffs have done has anything to do with the people in charge now. So unfortunately our only option is to start over with them. For them its getting the team together, for us its getting our emotions together and hope this regime gives us something to get excited about.

To your point about Ben Watson, I totally disagree. I would rather give Schouman, Stupar, and Nelson all the playing time and have them ready to be good "in their prime" players, and skip the whole bring in Watson and when he sucks cut him at age 33 or 34 then be left with inexperience again.

Given how far away we are, and how soft the UFA market is this year, I agree that the Bills have no realistic chance to compete in 2010. Is the front office quietly conceding that the team will suck this year?

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that this is year 1 of a rebuild cycle in the eyes of the Bills FO?

I live in the Eagles media market (Allentown) and they are on fire... about the team not trading McNabb, Kolb or Vick yet, no FA pickups, giving Jason Avant that crazy contract, and questioning the ownership's interest in winning.

Just sayin...it's just not Buffalo. Probably Cowboys fans and half the other teams in the league are saying/doing the same thing.

The only teams that played in FA this year were the desperate teams.

I may be one of the few on this board that believes the sucktitude and injuries of last year was substantially due to coaching and conditioning.

I think it's just that we have seen these guys we currently have... they played a lot of uninteresting, uninspired, boring and BAD football. Some of them for more than a few years now. I think people look at it like "if the core players we currently have are so good and are on the verge, then why can they not score, defend, or more importantly WIN?" Why are we not talking to people who have had some success or may be the right team away from being good?

I wonder the same things... especially on the Offensive line which was just GOD AWFUL. I'd like to see more activity there and I just really want to see a fresh face competing for the starting QB gig.

I understand what your saying, but what Left and Right tackles do you wish we would have been more active with in free agency thus far? There hasn't been a single LT to even look at. The activity you seek on the offensive line will be depth type players in free agency after the market is determined and via the draft, and I emphasize the draft.

The issue with our team right now in my opinion is high end talent to build around. There really aren't those type of players on the roster. Some would argue Poz, Byrd, Wood, or even Jackson. But each one of them have question marks in regards to being cornerstone players. The Nix regime is going to have to work hard to find these players in the draft, that's why I believe we are in total rebuild mold. Not just because we have a new front office and coaching staff, but because we don't have any identity based on our need for core players.

We are 2-3 years away from having FA signings making us a team that can begin contending for even a wild card. And that's if Nix and company do it right. Signing guys like Ben Watson at this point or almost moot, he would get lost in our disarray and you wouldn't even notice a contribution. Our free agent signings will be to put a tourniquet on our situation and for depth.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that this is year 1 of a rebuild cycle in the eyes of the Bills FO?

The Bills are feeding us "we're a couple players away." You and I know that's in all likelihood BS, but the average fan doesn't or might buy it anyway. So if that's the case and they are a couple away, then they, and hell so do I, want to see Buddy go out and get them.

Even if they lose this year, it would be nice to see them try and mix things up a bit.

I don't want big names really, just players who have had success be given a try. Like Derek Anderson for example... there's no harm talking to him or even signing him to be part of the competition. If he sucks then cut him... same for all positions. We're basically at a point where everything is wide open now, so bring in people to compete is all I want, and if we cut them and keep what we have that's cool.

And no I'm not trying start a Derek Anderson conversation here, just making AN EXAMPLE.

I understand what your saying, but what Left and Right tackles do you wish we would have been more active with in free agency thus far? There hasn't been a single LT to even look at. The activity you seek on the offensive line will be depth type players in free agency after the market is determined and via the draft, and I emphasize the draft.

The issue with our team right now in my opinion is high end talent to build around. There really aren't those type of players on the roster. Some would argue Poz, Byrd, Wood, or even Jackson. But each one of them have question marks in regards to being cornerstone players. The Nix regime is going to have to work hard to find these players in the draft, that's why I believe we are in total rebuild mold. Not just because we have a new front office and coaching staff, but because we don't have any identity based on our need for core players.

That's a good point actually, the opposite of mine but I like it... bring in stars and the rest will come. But are there currently stars out there? Seems like they have been eaten up already.

Given how far away we are, and how soft the UFA market is this year, I agree that the Bills have no realistic chance to compete in 2010. Is the front office quietly conceding that the team will suck this year?

I don't think they are conceding, I think they are staying true to their plan. Buddy Nix couldn't have been more clear when he said you build a team through the draft and stated not to expect anything but depth players in free agency.