My Bills 3-4 Defense

OK this is gonna be a challenge but I will give it a shot to see what y'all think. With the help of Madden 2010 this is the D that I tried a few times. I changed some ratings up or down based on what they did last year. For example, Wilson Williams and Florence was upped and players like Whitner, Maybin, downed. Set on Spectate mode.

LE Stroud

NT Williams

RE Schobel ( if he retires oh well thanks dude)

LOLB Ellison

LILB Poz

RILB Mitchell

ROLB Maybin

LCB Mc Kelvin

RCB Florence

Nickle McGee

SS Wilson

FS Byrd

Played a few games with Kelsey at LOLB dont think that is gonna work way to slow in coverage.

Think Wilson is good enough to start over Scott.

Think McGee is better suited as a nickle back

Ellison makes more plays than you would think.

If Schobel retires put in Kelsey at LE and Stroud at RE.

Maybin played better at OLB.

Was able to get more pressure with Marcus at DE.

Teams still were able to run the ball at Mitchell's side.

Interesting to many blitz packages you can run.

Overall based on this D we can get more pressure on the QB but still we give up yards on the ground.

Schobel is not a 34 DE.

Some people just have missed the dimensions of the 3-4 even though me and several others have explained it a million times already. Someone told me Spencer Johnson has had experience playing DE in the 3-4 but I have not had a chance to look into it. I have just arrived to the point that they will realise it next year and I am not going to argue with them. Schobel will make an excellent OLB in the 3-4 IMO. The said thing is that all they have to do is look at the draft boards and see the guys that project to OLB/4-3DE and under stand that the 2 are close. OLB has to be quicker than the average DE and that is why not all the 4-3 DEs are projected this way. They will also notice the DT/DE these are 3-4 DEs.

The 300 pound Bruce Smith was projected as a DT/DE we played a 3-4 the rest is history.

Replace Schobel with Spencer Johnson at RE and move him to LOLB for Ellison and that would prob be the most realistic defense with what we have on the roster right now

With Maybin and Schobel on the outside, we are basically running a 5-2-4 defense which would be best against the run. Unfortunately, this 5-2-4 would be weak against the run. Schobel and Maybin would both be liabilities in coverage and Mitchell isn't much better.

With Maybin and Schobel on the outside, we are basically running a 5-2-4 defense which would be best against the run. Unfortunately, this 5-2-4 would be weak against the run. Schobel and Maybin would both be liabilities in coverage and Mitchell isn't much better.

We have used Schobel in zone coverage before. I believe both will be fine you don't ask any OLB in the NFL to cover deep. He is not going to cover a 20 yard route.

If Schobel and Maybin can transition well to OLB and I believe they can and we strike gold in the draft at NT baring injuries I believe we could field a formidable Defense. This is all speculation and there are some "ifs" but our D may be something to look forward to. Probably all we have to look forward to.

LE Stroud -agree

NT Williams - needs 20+ pounds but I agree

RE Schobel ( if he retires oh well thanks dude) - no way, 242 pounds? way too small, I put Spencer Johnson here

LOLB Ellison - F Ellison- Schobel or Chris Ellis

LILB Poz - Agree

RILB Mitchell - Agree

ROLB Maybin - Agree

LCB Mc Kelvin -McKelvin needs to smarten up, I put McGee here

RCB Florence - Agree, best cover CB the Bills had last year

Nickle - McKelvin

SS Wilson - Agree

FS Byrd - Agree

LE Stroud

NT Williams

LOLB Ellison

LILB Poz

RILB Mitchell

ROLB Maybin

LCB Mc Kelvin

RCB Florence

Nickle McGee

SS Wilson

FS Byrd

So, we have replaced Kelsay with Maybin. Otherwise, it's the same personnel on defense. Something tells me the results will be similar.

(and replacing Ellison with Johnson by moving Schobel to OLB isn't exactly a major upgrade either)

Some people just have missed the dimensions of the 3-4 even though me and several others have explained it a million times already. Someone told me Spencer Johnson has had experience playing DE in the 3-4 but I have not had a chance to look into it. I have just arrived to the point that they will realise it next year and I am not going to argue with them. Schobel will make an excellent OLB in the 3-4 IMO. The said thing is that all they have to do is look at the draft boards and see the guys that project to OLB/4-3DE and under stand that the 2 are close. OLB has to be quicker than the average DE and that is why not all the 4-3 DEs are projected this way. They will also notice the DT/DE these are 3-4 DEs.

The 300 pound Bruce Smith was projected as a DT/DE we played a 3-4 the rest is history.

yes but the only time Bruce played anywhere near 300 pounds was the firsttwo seasons when he was working towards a bust category. Slow slow slow. Then he got serious went to his fighting weight 270-285 I think for most of his career and voila !!!!!!

The best use of this exercise is to see what is the greatest misfit at that position. For example, Mitchell moving inside makes sense given his injury (less space to cover) and given his good communication ability. What that changes in the draft is the Positional Need for ILB especially compared to NT, OLB and DE, which I see as a major need in your lineup.

My recommendation when I submit needs to DraftTek would be to lower the ILB need to P3 from P2, keep NT at P2, and raise DE to P2. Any comment?

Schobel is not a 34 DE..

Schoebel will never be a 3-4 end... Olb if anything.. I like Kelsay as the end if he bulks up a little... I love Kyle Williams as a rotational nt, but we need to add a star in that spot... Williams won't be that guy on a playoff defense.... He is physical, but that spot needs a two gapper.. A rock, not a penetrator... Nix has a lot of work to do.. Give him a chance..

If Schobel and Maybin can transition well to OLB and I believe they can and we strike gold in the draft at NT baring injuries I believe we could field a formidable Defense. This is all speculation and there are some "ifs" but our D may be something to look forward to. Probably all we have to look forward to.

In addition to rushing the passer from the outside, 3-4 OLBs absolutely must be proficient in dropping back in pass defense. Neither Schobel or Maybin have shown a propensity to do this. The best dropback DE/OLB hybrid that the Bills had was Ryan Denney, who is no longer on the roster. Also, 3-4 OLBs have containment responsibilities. This is also a weak point in both Maybin and Schobel's game. Both have shown that they're a sucker for counter moves, which help to break contain and open the outside to huge gains in both the running game (think Harrison's big run in the Monday night loss to Cleveland two years ago) and the passing game (a particularly rough outing for Maybin in the pre-season game vs Pittsburgh last year). I'm not saying that these guys can't get it done as 3-4 OLBs. I merely point out that it is far from a given.

Schobel is not a 34 DE.

I don't think he will return to play LB, I just don't see him in coverage and doing well. I could see him retired.

I don't see how Kelsey will make the switch to LB. So if Schobel retires I would move him to RE and replace him with Johnson on passing downs.

OK this is gonna be a challenge but I will give it a shot to see what y'all think. With the help of Madden 2010 this is the D that I tried a few times. I changed some ratings up or down based on what they did last year. For example, Wilson Williams and Florence was upped and players like Whitner, Maybin, downed. Set on Spectate mode.

LE Stroud

NT Williams

LOLB Ellison

LILB Poz

RILB Mitchell

ROLB Maybin

LCB Mc Kelvin

RCB Florence

Nickle McGee

SS Wilson

FS Byrd

Played a few games with Kelsey at LOLB dont think that is gonna work way to slow in coverage.

Man you did it, you cracked the code on the Patriots secret weapon of winning Madden Video Games, why the hell did we not do that before ROFL :blush:

Overall based on this D we can get more pressure on the QB but still we give up yards on the ground.

So, we have replaced Kelsay with Maybin. Otherwise, it's the same personnel on defense. Something tells me the results will be similar.

(and replacing Ellison with Johnson by moving Schobel to OLB isn't exactly a major upgrade either)

The D wasn't that bad last year. Too loose against the run, but most of the big yards and pts came late in the game when they were worn out from having to continually hustle back onto the field after repeated 3 and outs by the anemic offense.

LE Stroud

NT Williams

LOLB Ellison

LILB Poz

RILB Mitchell

ROLB Maybin

LCB Mc Kelvin

RCB Florence

Nickle McGee

SS Wilson

FS Byrd

Whatta mess!!

:beer::wallbash:

The D wasn't that bad last year. Too loose against the run, but most of the big yards and pts came late in the game when they were worn out from having to continually hustle back onto the field after repeated 3 and outs by the anemic offense.

... and from being unable to get off the field on 3rd down.

I read in the Buffalo News recently that Gailey confirmed that all of the DEs from last year would be competing for OLB spots in the new system. Can't find the article.

I checked out a few rosters of 3-4 teams, and pretty much all of the DEs are in the 290-300 range. Kyle Williams is undersized for a 3-4 NT, but he's the best fit for NT out of the players on the current roster. IMO he would be a better fit at DE in this scheme. With Williams at NT, Stroud and Spencer Johnson are the logical choices for DE.

Kelsay might be one of the odd men out this season. He doesn't seem to be as good a fit compared to others on the roster. Schobel and Maybin seem like the best fits at OLB. Agree with Poz and Mitchell on the inside. Makes sense to have Ellison be a backup ILB. Bryan Scott will probably also get on the field quite a bit in some quazi-nickel alignments where he replaces one of the ILBs.

When he's healthy, McGee is the best CB on the team. McKelvin will presumably be given every opportunity to earn the other starting spot. At the beginning of training camp last season, Florence was at the top of the nickel depth chart; will probably be the same this season.

Of course, Byrd is the starting FS. Wilson moved ahead of Whitner during last season. Not sure how, if at all, Whitner fits into the team's plans for this season.

While they are planning to switch to a 3-4 that does not mean they are planning a 100% 3-4. You will definitely see them also using a 4-3. Last year's defense did produce against the pass and they are not going to completely abandon the things that worked. I believe they will put some beef on the line in the form of a good nose tackle to put a stop to teams running up the gut on us late in games. All of these doom and gloom theories flying around are just plain goofy. An apple falls on their heads and they start running around screaming that the sky is falling. The defense is going to surprise people because offenses will not know what kind of defense is coming at them. And as far as guys like Schobel and Maybin, they will definitely be used as OLB's in a 3-4. Saying that they can't play that position just for the sake of saying it doesn't mean anything. Both have proven they can come off of the edge to put pressure on the QB. Why wouldn't they be good at it? They might even play DE in a 4-3 scheme as well once in a while. Football players don't stop becoming football players just because they switch positions. Open your minds up to the possibilities instead of moaning and groaning over perceived weaknesses. The sky is not falling. I am not drinking koolaid and please no wisecracks about the beer I'm drinkin' either.

I read in the Buffalo News recently that Gailey confirmed that all of the DEs from last year would be competing for OLB spots in the new system. Can't find the article.

I checked out a few rosters of 3-4 teams, and pretty much all of the DEs are in the 290-300 range. Kyle Williams is undersized for a 3-4 NT, but he's the best fit for NT out of the players on the current roster. IMO he would be a better fit at DE in this scheme. With Williams at NT, Stroud and Spencer Johnson are the logical choices for DE.

Kelsay might be one of the odd men out this season. He doesn't seem to be as good a fit compared to others on the roster. Schobel and Maybin seem like the best fits at OLB. Agree with Poz and Mitchell on the inside. Makes sense to have Ellison be a backup ILB. Bryan Scott will probably also get on the field quite a bit in some quazi-nickel alignments where he replaces one of the ILBs.

When he's healthy, McGee is the best CB on the team. McKelvin will presumably be given every opportunity to earn the other starting spot. At the beginning of training camp last season, Florence was at the top of the nickel depth chart; will probably be the same this season.

Of course, Byrd is the starting FS. Wilson moved ahead of Whitner during last season. Not sure how, if at all, Whitner fits into the team's plans for this season.

Yes, Stroud and Williams will move to DE. My guess is that the FO is diligently seeking a nose tackle for the middle.

yes but the only time Bruce played anywhere near 300 pounds was the firsttwo seasons when he was working towards a bust category. Slow slow slow. Then he got serious went to his fighting weight 270-285 I think for most of his career and voila !!!!!!

True but he was a phisical specimen and very rare there has never been a 3-4 DE comparable to him you will find that Seymour is 300+. I pointed that out to make a point that people just are not getting about the 3-4.

Are you crazy he had 6.5 sacks his rookie year which is great for a Rookie 3-4 DE and we apparently were ready to declare him a bust after he had 15 sacks in his second year. WOW please don't ever respond to one of my post again with crap like this and to help what your saying which really has nothing to do with my post he came in to camp his second year in great phisical shape.