If Roethlisberger was black

Race a factor on the coverage  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Race a factor on the coverage

• Yes
    • No

First of all, the situations are hardly comparable as Tiger's story began with his wife chasing him with a golf club and smashing up his car. (IF Ben's wife, if he had one, had chased him with a golf club I guarantee you the story would be much bigger). (Indeed, there was a TON of coverage about his motorcycle accident). Not only that, Tiger admitted to having affairs with 14 women. Thus, the number of parties involved makes Tiger's story bigger as there are many more angles to analyze it from. Finally, Tiger got solid treatment from the media including great articles written about him by ESPN and CNNSI columnists. There were a number of stories instructing people to leave him alone while he and his family dealt with the problems caused by his actions. Of course, some columnists were critical of his actions, but a number of columnists have been equally critical of Ben's actions.

You missed the biggest factor of all. Tiger may in fact be the most well known person in the entire world.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind, we're talking about the same sportscaster who thinks it's perfectly normal to joke about Hobey Baker's death while calling a hockey game. Controversy tends to follow this guy around.

What? Two different Steigerwalds in Pittsburgh sportscasting -- brothers, I think -- and this one doesn't call hockey games.

Nothing is as simple as it sounds. There are many factors to consider when comparing people in trouble. I'm sure race is involved at times, along with so many other reasons people have for treating others in a variety of ways. What do you hope to accomplish by throwing out accusations that cannot be proven?

What? Two different Steigerwalds in Pittsburgh sportscasting -- brothers, I think -- and this one doesn't call hockey games.

Sorry, jumped to conclusions when I saw the last name. The other seems to be a grade A DB though. :censored:

Are you kidding me? Non-Story? Can't turn on sports radio here (Dallas) without hearing about it.

If he listens to Finebaum, it's probably a 24/7 running countdown to Bammer's spring practice.

Listen to sports talk all day - amazing after a week - this has become a non-story.......

meh...

Come on Bama, you can't be serious. You literally couldn't listen to a sports talk show this week without it being discussed at great length and this story hasn't even taken form yet. Your argument certainly seemed plausible at first but after seeing Ben get bombarded this week, I have to disagree.

Multiple shows this week have interviewed different Pittsburgh media people and the consensus has been that Ben is a real tool. I'm sure others here already knew this but it was news to me. Ben has quite the reputation around Pittsburgh and even amongst his teammates and Steelers organization. I guess he is quite the primadonna and has a blatant sense of entitlement. Hines Ward kind of ripped into him in an interview one time and I guess it was an accurate representation of how many of the players feel. All this stuff doesn't mean the allegations are true but he is certainly taking a beating right now.

It's been years since I've posted on this board, but after seeing this thread, I feel I have to.

Really? If Ben was black? Rediculous. I'm sorry that Michael Vick was involved in the torture and murder of dogs. I'm sure plenty of white NFL-ers have done that too and gotten away scott free. I'm sorry that Tiger Woods had to nail a 24 pack of blondes. I guess plenty of white golfers have done the same exact thing with little or no punishment. Yeah, and Barry Bonds. He's black, so I guess that's the reason why he's going to have an asterisk next to his record. Yeah, Mark McGuire's public hanging was wayyy friendlier. Oh, and Clemens is doing well too. Last I checked, he's not exatcly a popular guy anywhere. Here's some food for thought: Donte Stallworth. Killed someone while driving under the infulence. 30 days in jail was it? I suppose his white counterparts would only get 15 days. OJ Simpson anyone? If George Bush were as good at giving speeches as Obama, do you think that he would have received the Nobel peace prize? Let's cut the race crap here. Yeah, there is still racism, and there always will be as long as there are different races around. I mean, it's obvious with things like affirmative action and the Rooney rule. The united negro college fund, Black entertainment channel, black history month. It's 2010. People are people no matter what color they are. I think that if Ben Rothless-whatever was black, he most likely would be getting the same flack that he is getting now.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there have been many inconsitant punishments delved out to famous athletes. I'm just saying that it goes both ways.