I wonder what this weekend will bring?

With Free agency starting on Friday it will be interesting who we try to sign. I love the fact we have our new guy running the Pro player personnel.

We might not sign 'names' but with the guys we have running the show now I can see the guys we get being real contributers

I say lets sign Scott, Incognito, and Wilson first! Then worry about a pipe dream like Peppers, Dansby, or other FA that is going to want a lot of years and millions of dollars.

Scott is a backup safety at best, and Incognito and Wilson are RFA's that simply need to be tendered in order to be kept.

There's no reason to rush to sign any of those guys.

With Free agency starting on Friday it will be interesting who we try to sign. I love the fact we have our new guy running the Pro player personnel.

We might not sign 'names' but with the guys we have running the show now I can see the guys we get being real contributers

Don't expect much and you won't get disappointed. Hopefully, they get some quality depth players through FA but if we really are going to turn this team around, we need to build through the draft.

Scott is a backup safety at best, and Incognito and Wilson are RFA's that simply need to be tendered in order to be kept.

yeah but they need to be tendered by friday, right?

I'd be pretty happy with Kevin Walter, Antonio Bryant, or Chambers at WR, and a solid front 7 (preferably a LB) player on defense. Anything after that would be gravy. If I could add in a "somewhat name player" without getting too greedy, I'd love to pair Ben Watson with Nelson. Watson could handle the primary blocking along with a very nice stretch the field bonus, while we could motion Nelson all over the place trying for mismatches. The draft will then bring the heavy beef. Sadly, QB probably has to wait a year.........

I think the deadline for tenders has passed. Let me look for it.

This is from the 2010 important dates pinned thread;

Feb. 25 – Deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.

March 4 — Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.

March 4 — Deadline for clubs to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired.

March 5 – Start of capped or uncapped 2010 NFL season.

So I guess they have til tomorrow for that.

I don't want to be cynical, but cutting a couple of solid special teams players for no apparent logical reason and then signing one d-tackle about the same size as Williams and Stroud, with zero starts in the NFL and who was on three different practice squads last season, does not constitute a "great start" at turning around our roster for Buddy, in my humble opinion.

By cutting Wendling and the other couple of solid special teamers, I can only assume Nix was trying to free up a few extra bucks for free agency. Who knows? Certainly they were not very expensive players in the first place. You're right, it will be "interesting" this weekend, although I'm not expecting much to happen. I have a feeling Nix and Gailey are going to count more heavily on this years' draft then free agency.

I think this is the first real test of the Nix/Gailey era. With all of the front office changes that we have made, I'm not sure if they manifest itself in a positive or negative way. I'm saving judgement until the season starts because no matter what changes are made, wins and loses are what matters. But I think the FA period will be a good indicator of the new chemistry in the front office.

Releasing Josh Reed made me raise an eyebrow but that was the only move I would question to this point.

I love the fact we have our new guy running the Pro player personnel.

Different, or new...whatever you care to call it, does not mean better.

This regime is a HUGE question mark that will only be able to be graded in January 2011.

right now, they ain't done schitt to win my accolades or trust. They will have to earn that the old fashioned way... by getting it done. So, I'll wait before I buy.

I'd be pretty happy with Kevin Walter, Antonio Bryant, or Chambers at WR, and a solid front 7 (preferably a LB) player on defense. Anything after that would be gravy. If I could add in a "somewhat name player" without getting too greedy, I'd love to pair Ben Watson with Nelson. Watson could handle the primary blocking along with a very nice stretch the field bonus, while we could motion Nelson all over the place trying for mismatches. The draft will then bring the heavy beef. Sadly, QB probably has to wait a year.........

Ben Watson is strickly a pass receiving tight end, and not a good one at that. I've seen him drop more passes than catch

no more second rate FAs please. I am tired of seeing the Hangartners and Dockerys of the NFL being our offseason targets. We can get that kind of production from other teams cuts/practice squads.

Now could we please sign our own FAs for once? We need quality guys like Scott even if he is a back up. G. Wilson may have been our best defender at the end of last season... tender him already and work on a long term deal. Incognito we need bc our OL is so terrible. What are they waiting for?

Now could we please sign our own FAs for once? We need quality guys like Scott even if he is a back up. G. Wilson may have been our best defender at the end of last season... tender him already and work on a long term deal. Incognito we need bc our OL is so terrible. What are they waiting for?

:lol:

You may not have faith in the front office, but I sincerely doubt that they're going to bring in any basketball players.

HA...Jeff Posey, i was close

guess that shows how big an impact that signing was

This is from the 2010 important dates pinned thread;

Feb. 25 – Deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.

March 4 — Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.

March 4 — Deadline for clubs to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired.

March 5 – Start of capped or uncapped 2010 NFL season.

So I guess they have til tomorrow for that.

After midnight tonight they can seek deals if not tendered one.

So Free agency starts at midnight tonight, by morning we will hear some news but not from the Bills..maybe later in the day.

I don't want to be cynical, but cutting a couple of solid special teams players for no apparent logical reason and then signing one d-tackle about the same size as Williams and Stroud, with zero starts in the NFL and who was on three different practice squads last season, does not constitute a "great start" at turning around our roster for Buddy, in my humble opinion.

By cutting Wendling and the other couple of solid special teamers, I can only assume Nix was trying to free up a few extra bucks for free agency. Who knows? Certainly they were not very expensive players in the first place. You're right, it will be "interesting" this weekend, although I'm not expecting much to happen. I have a feeling Nix and Gailey are going to count more heavily on this years' draft then free agency.

The ST players were not cut for no apparent reason and certainly not to save money. They were cut because it is clear there will be a new philosophy of special teams where nearly every player must also be a solid backup for defense or offense. With all the injuries we had last year this thinking should be understandable to us. We had to pick up free agents off the street or practice squad players because some of our players were only really able to be great special teams players and could not be seriously asked to back up a position when the starter went down.