QB Question

Its obvious the Bills and us fans want a franchise QB.

There have been many threads started about this such as drafting Clausen, Bradford, Trading up, moving down, LeFefour (sp) in round 3, McNabb, Derek Anderson, Campbell

My question is this,

IF we draft a QB in round 3 are we really planning to make that QB our fanchise player? I know mid round picks have worked out before but Im talking about mindset here. Do they think it will be a temp fix and draft a round 1 QB next year?

There have been many threads started about this such as drafting Clausen, Bradford, Trading up, moving down, LeFefour (sp) in round 3, McNabb, Derek Anderson, Campbell

My question is this,

IF we draft a QB in round 3 are we really planning to make that QB our fanchise player? I know mid round picks have worked out before but Im talking about mindset here. Do they think it will be a temp fix and draft a round 1 QB next year?

I don't have the link, but in another thread someone illustrates the statistics on current franchise QBs and the round they are taken in. Besides Tom Brady, all franchise caliber QBs were taken in the 1st and 2nd round with Brees and Favre being the only 2 in the 2nd.

That being said, if the Bills do draft another 3rd rounder like Edwards, I think there isn't much hope for him to become a franchise guy. This doesn't mean he will be terrible, just not the long-term guy we all want.

My question is this,

Nothing like shooting for mediocrity in the most cruicial position in football ! If we're lucky we'll get another Trent Edwards...LOL !! <_< Seriously, you can get lucky and pick a future Pro Bowl QB & Hall of famer in the third round with extreme luck! But, I would think the odds are that you are going to pick up the majority of your superstars in the first round ....the Peyton Mannings...of course for arguements sake which are sure to follow....you can find a player like Tom Brady later in the draft every so often...But just going on odds we need to give ourselves the best opportunity and draft a QB at the top of the draft (yes...1st round..) and then somehow trade back into the first round..(maybe trade our 2nd and M. Lynch & Roscoe Parrish) to get back into the first round and select one the many talented OT's that are in the draft this year. Don't think that can't be done as the Bills have moved back into the 1st round before...and N.England does it all the time and have 2 picks in the 1st round this year as well ! Then we need to get a solid NT in the 3rd...or trade back into the 2nd for a NT! It can be done..but it takes guts, shrewdness, and something we have been lacking in as an organization: Football Knowledge!!! Back to the issue at hand though is get your QB....in the draft, and I would pick up a FA QB (Best of what's left)...and keep the one QB that currently remains with the most upside! (Hopefully not T.Edwards)..I know it's a gamble but it's much better than not taking the risk and having the potential of reward! So many times D. Jauron punted with just a few minutes left and down by 9 points! Yeah, you can get the ball back possibly...maybe get a T.D. if your lucky...try an on-sides kick...and miracles could happen....or you do a Rex Ryan and go for it on 4th & 2 and be aggressive! That is another thing this organization has been lacking is aggressiveness! Be the first team to target and attempt to acquire some of the free agents, aggresively pursue trades in the draft, make things happen! Show everyone

you are going all out....Don't do what you did with the coaching charade and drag things on and lose all your opportunites

in the end and settle for little known football people that coached at the second best college in Gerorgia! Like Rocky said

"Go for it" ! and then go for it! get the best QB, best L OT you can, best FA's available, and get rid of bad attitude players or troublemakers like M. Lynch! Lots of ideas here...Some will be popular and I will get scorched for some of my ideas, but the main thing is we need to strive to be the best and get the best General (QB) into our organization! It would be nice to be proud of the Bills again and be able to remove the negative shadow of our team and community! :P

At some point, chan and buddy will get their "guy" at Qb, if they cant get him this year, then I dont see them using a pick on somebody else, they'll just work with what we have and get him next year.

I am not sold on any of the QBs in this year's draft and, even if I were, I'd rather shore up the OL as NOBODY is going

to be successful without decent OTs. I foresee disaster if the Bills pick Bradford or Clausen (or any other rookie) and

throw him in behind Demtrius Bell and Jamon Meredith at OTs. Whomever is back there will get killed.

Nothing like shooting for mediocrity in the most cruicial position in football ! If we're lucky we'll get another Trent Edwards...LOL !! <_< Seriously, you can get lucky and pick a future Pro Bowl QB & Hall of famer in the third round with extreme luck! But, I would think the odds are that you are going to pick up the majority of your superstars in the first round ....the Peyton Mannings...of course for arguements sake which are sure to follow....you can find a player like Tom Brady later in the draft every so often...But just going on odds we need to give ourselves the best opportunity and draft a QB at the top of the draft (yes...1st round..) and then somehow trade back into the first round..(maybe trade our 2nd and M. Lynch & Roscoe Parrish) to get back into the first round and select one the many talented OT's that are in the draft this year. Don't think that can't be done as the Bills have moved back into the 1st round before...and N.England does it all the time and have 2 picks in the 1st round this year as well ! Then we need to get a solid NT in the 3rd...or trade back into the 2nd for a NT! It can be done..but it takes guts, shrewdness, and something we have been lacking in as an organization: Football Knowledge!!! Back to the issue at hand though is get your QB....in the draft, and I would pick up a FA QB (Best of what's left)...and keep the one QB that currently remains with the most upside! (Hopefully not T.Edwards)..I know it's a gamble but it's much better than not taking the risk and having the potential of reward! So many times D. Jauron punted with just a few minutes left and down by 9 points! Yeah, you can get the ball back possibly...maybe get a T.D. if your lucky...try an on-sides kick...and miracles could happen....or you do a Rex Ryan and go for it on 4th & 2 and be aggressive! That is another thing this organization has been lacking is aggressiveness! Be the first team to target and attempt to acquire some of the free agents, aggresively pursue trades in the draft, make things happen! Show everyone

you are going all out....Don't do what you did with the coaching charade and drag things on and lose all your opportunites

in the end and settle for little known football people that coached at the second best college in Gerorgia! Like Rocky said

"Go for it" ! and then go for it! get the best QB, best L OT you can, best FA's available, and get rid of bad attitude players or troublemakers like M. Lynch! Lots of ideas here...Some will be popular and I will get scorched for some of my ideas, but the main thing is we need to strive to be the best and get the best General (QB) into our organization! It would be nice to be proud of the Bills again and be able to remove the negative shadow of our team and community! :P

I like your ideas and this scenario in particualar. I would love to see this happen.

My question is this,

Realistically, if you draft a guy in the 3rd, you're looking at a guy who will be a bad backup, but who (you hope) can develop into a good backup, or if you get lucky, a good starter. Matt Schaub is sort of the archetypal "hit" in the 3rd round. Sat on the bench behind a franchise guy for a few years, showed some promise in reserve action, traded to a QB-needy team where he became the starter, took a couple of years as starter to figure it out.

Keep in mind that Schaub's one of the great *successes* of the 3rd round. Most 3rd-round QBs don't do that well.

In other words, I don't think a 3rd-rounder should do much of anything to affect our prioritization of the QB position. If one were available in the first round in 2011, grab him without hesitation. If one became available in trade at a reasonable price, grab him without hesitation.

I'm not confident that the Bills agree with me, because I've lost all confidence in that organization's football-related judgment. Ten years without the playoffs is not a coincidence, it's a sign of gross incompetence. They'll need to earn back my confidence, and only winning will do that.

My question is this,

At number 9, there will be no franchise quarterback available this year. Both Bradford and Clausen will be gone, and of course after those two nobody thinks any other QB's should go in the first or even second round at all, much less number 9 overall. So unless Nix decides to trade up with a top 5 team, and draft either Bradford or Clausen, his only mindset will be to take the best player on his board at number 9 who fills another need on the Bills. After that, luck will need to carry the day if he does indeed draft a QB in the later rounds. Now maybe Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow will be the next two great NFL QB's while Bradford and Clausen both bomb out within 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately, this is not 1983, when future Hall of Fame QB's John Elway, Dan Marino and of course Jim Kelly were all drafted in the first round! This year, neither Bradford nor Clausen are being touted as can't miss franchise QB's, and it looks like the Rams might even break the bank on Bradford at number 1. Now that is some risky mindset if they pull the trigger on that pick, don't you think?

My question is this,

I for one really doubt that we are gonna find a franchise QB with a 3rd round pick. The problem though with folks thinking that this means we must draft a QB with our first round choice is that they ignore the fact that past experience shows it is quite possible to get a QB selected by some other team in the first three rounds through trade or FA.

The Bills should absolutely not draft the next Joey Harrington or Akili Smith with their 1st round pick since it is entirely possible to acquire the next Drew Brees, Brett Favre or some other franchise QB and let some other team deal with the losing and growing pains.

Particularly when one looks at the long waits and pain that has accompanied the last two 1st round choices who led the teams which drafted them to SB victories, Peyton Manning and RoboQB and the simple fact that even these stud QBs needed TEAMs around them to win it all (and that the last team to draft a QB who took the team which drafted him to an SB win was Dallas taking Aikman in the 80s), the whole strategy of drafting a stud QB with our 1st is simply pretty questionable.

Its a QB oriented league for sure, but the simple fact is that as rare as someone wants to claim getting a Brees or drafting a Brady late is to find a winner, these methods are just as likely and in fact until P. Manning finally paid off with a lot of help drafting a QB in the first has simply been a lousy strategy for reaching the ultimate goal in the NFL.

Let's not forget what Chan brings to the Bills...the ability to succeed with below-average/average QBs (O'Donnell, Tomczak, Stewart, Fiedler). With Trent, Fitzy, Brohm, and a later Rd QB, I'm hoping there is something there that Gailey can work with.