What is Cash to the Cap?

BuffaloBlood

It's just the name for the internal mechanism designed to manage cash flow. It means if they pay a guy a bonus, they count the whole bonus (the cash) against the cap, rather than amortizing it over the life of the contract (which NFL rules allow).

It's just the name for the internal mechanism designed to manage cash flow. It means if they pay a guy a bonus, they count the whole bonus (the cash) against the cap, rather than amortizing it over the life of the contract (which NFL rules allow).

wow, i never really knew what that meant either. so, if we cut a player (that we used this approach with), there is no cap hit? damn, i guess we can get away with cutting some over payed bums then? get er done, Buddy...

I'm interested to see clump's salary cap page when it comes out, to see what the Bills cash to the cap will be this upcoming season.

I honestly think the Bills came out with the cash to cap policy to appease the fans who realized we weren't being very competetive when it came to spending on players. Truth be told, I'm not convinced the Bills (Ralph) are going to spend anywhere near what it'll take to be competetive.

cash to cap is the Bills way of not spending all that is available to them

the Bills were not big players when hiring their new GM or head coach although they would like you to believe they were

the Bills will not be big players in free agency, expect 3rd tier free agents at best

cash to cap is the Bills way of not spending all that is available to them

the Bills were not big players when hiring their new GM or head coach although they would like you to believe they were

the Bills will not be big players in free agency, expect 3rd tier free agents at best

Cash 2 Cap is Ralph's way of keeping more of your money.

Of course it's his. It's just a means of comparison. Other teams spend the entire cap (based on the league TV deal) plus own team revenues. The Bills spend only TV deal money, and don't even spend all of that. It gives rise to the cheap label, which Ralph absolutely is.

Inevitably, someone will come up with the 12th highest payroll in 2009. Is that cap number or actual dollars spent? Because I think cash to cap would have a major effect on those numbers compared to those who actually use the flexibility of the CBA. Don't know what USA Today uses to come up with their numbers though.

Ok, again, what do they use to come up with those numbers. The Bills use cash to cap, so bonuses play differently from everybody else. When those are taken into account where do the Bills rank? I'd guess significantly lower, although I don't know and am not spergy enough to look it up. But all those teams that don't use cash to cap accounting spend significantly more in real dollars than the Bills do.

So yeah, let's talk about how cheap Ralph is.

Ok, again, what do they use to come up with those numbers. The Bills use cash to cap, so bonuses play differently from everybody else. When those are taken into account where do the Bills rank? I'd guess significantly lower, although I don't know and am not spergy enough to look it up. But all those teams that don't use cash to cap accounting spend significantly more in real dollars than the Bills do.

So yeah, let's talk about how cheap Ralph is.

Scroll up 1 or 2 posts tops and click on the link, that is total money spent. Not a hard concept to grasp.

Scroll up 1 or 2 posts tops and click on the link, that is total money spent. Not a hard concept to grasp.

Right, total money spent. That year. Cash to cap means that any money spent, including bonuses, are counted in that year. Other teams amortize. So other teams spend more actual money, and count it for less, according to the CBA. So Ralph looks like he spends more in comparison to his competitors than he actually does. He's cheap.

Right, total money spent. That year. Cash to cap means that any money spent, including bonuses, are counted in that year. Other teams amortize. So other teams spend more actual money, and count it for less, according to the CBA. So Ralph looks like he spends more in comparison to his competitors than he actually does. He's cheap.

You might have a point if those figures didn't include past amortizations.

You might have a point if those figures didn't include past amortizations.

Do they? Is there a reference for what is actually included in those numbers? Serious post, I don't know what's included and what isn't, which is why I posted as such prior.

In any event, there is a reason why Ralph uses cash to cap and successful teams don't, and it sure ain't because the Bills want to spend more to be better on the field.

Do they? Is there a reference for what is actually included in those numbers? Serious post, I don't know what's included and what isn't, which is why I posted as such prior.

In any event, there is a reason why Ralph uses cash to cap and successful teams don't, and it sure ain't because the Bills want to spend more to be better on the field.

Yes and several teams use cash to cap now. Buffalo consistently ranks in the middle in cash spent (one really low year IIRC), but on average in the middle. There is no debating this, Ralph spends the average on salaries for players. Coaches and you might have a point.

wow, i never really knew what that meant either. so, if we cut a player (that we used this approach with), there is no cap hit? damn, i guess we can get away with cutting some over payed bums then? get er done, Buddy...

My question about this has always been, does the NFL count the hit against the cap when the player is cut. or when the Bills actually paid that money? In other words, can the Bills decide to take that hit when the bonus is paid, or do NFL cap rules dictate the hit be divided by the number of years on the contract?

My question about this has always been, does the NFL count the hit against the cap when the player is cut. or when the Bills actually paid that money? In other words, can the Bills decide to take that hit when the bonus is paid, or do NFL cap rules dictate the hit be divided by the number of years on the contract?

This, although I misspoke on the amortization a bit earlier, those are the total expenditures of the team (my point stands though as the Bills are consistently around the middle).

This, although I misspoke on the amortization a bit earlier, those are the total expenditures of the team (my point stands though as the Bills are consistently around the middle).

Yes, that's what I suspected (about when the hit counts against the cap).

The Ralph is cheap bashing gets pretty old, when it isn't supported by the facts. He certainly isn't the leagues biggest spender, nor is he at the bottom. If he was more like Danial Snyder the Bills would likely no longer be in Buffalo.