NFL may change overtime rules for playoffs - Thank God!

bbb

This is almost exactly what I've been advocating for years - I wanted some variation of first team to score 6 wins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4953182

INDIANAPOLIS -- An NFL spokesman said Saturday the league could change its overtime format for playoff games at a meeting next month.

Under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown, Greg Aiello said. If the first team to get the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.

Under the current rules, the first team to score wins.

"There have been various concepts that have been discussed in recent years, but this one has never been proposed," Aiello said.

The competition committee will discuss the new concept with teams and players at league meetings March 21-24 in Orlando, Fla., when it could come to a vote. At least two thirds of the teams would need to agree to the changes for new rules to be adopted.

The competition committee met with the players' union and players on Thursday during the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. Discussion continued when the competition committee met with a general managers' advisory committee on Friday.

The debate about the rules gained steam after the NFC championship game, when New Orleans beat Minnesota 31-28 in overtime and Brett Favre's Vikings never got the ball in the extra period. Under the proposed rule, Minnesota would have gotten another possession because the Vikings didn't allow a touchdown.

Overtime was adopted for regular season games in 1974, a sudden-death format that allowed games to end in a tie if neither team scored in 15 minutes. Overtime for playoff games always has been sudden death.

I'm glad they're looking at ways to change OT, but I don't really understand the idea behind only making the change for the playoffs. If it's determined that the current system isn't good enough, why only make the change to post-season?

Probably better than the current version (and I agree any system implemented should be done full bore, not different rules for playoffs vs regular season) but still leaves holes open for 'unfairness'. I honestly think the best solution is a timed period of play and let the clock be a factor.

I'm glad they're looking at ways to change OT, but I don't really understand the idea behind only making the change for the playoffs. If it's determined that the current system isn't good enough, why only make the change to post-season?

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I did a search on the word overtime, figuring somebody must have posted and if I did it, the first reply would be from somebody like you............It came up empty..........I guess I should have searched "sudden death" and all kinds of variations until I found the answer.

Somebody like me? Just trying to help. Did not mean anything by it.

I agree; it should be implemented for the regular season, too. BUT...and this is a big BUT....when making a change, one must consider the following question: What does TV want?

TV wants 3 hour games. The current OT system came back in the day when the league wasn't run based on TV's whims; otherwise, we'd have gobs of tie games. They know that going backwards to having no OT would cause a major uproar, so TV regretfully prefers things as they are. CBS/Fox are probably ecstatic when OT's last only one possession.

I really prefer the college OT. But that ain't gonna happen because the TV overlords would have a fully grown cow if a game lasted 4 and a half hours.

I agree; it should be implemented for the regular season, too. BUT...and this is a big BUT....when making a change, one must consider the following question: What does TV want?

TV wants 3 hour games. The current OT system came back in the day when the league wasn't run based on TV's whims; otherwise, we'd have gobs of tie games. They know that going backwards to having no OT would cause a major uproar, so TV regretfully prefers things as they are. CBS/Fox are probably ecstatic when OT's last only one possession.

I really prefer the college OT. But that ain't gonna happen because the TV overlords would have a fully grown cow if a game lasted 4 and a half hours.

Shorter games are easy...cut back on the commercials!

I understand your point, but sudden death doesn't guarantee shorter games. Not to mention OT games bring in viewers.

I love the college overtime system. IMO it's one of the things that make the whole college football experience great. That said, I'd never want to see it in the NFL. It's too "gimmicky" for the pro game.

I don't think the current system requires any changing, or tweaking, hopefully this will be rejected.

ditto on that...it's supposed to be a team game....OT games aren't won by the coin toss no matter what any moron tries to claim. If you lose the toss and the other team scores on you, you deserved to lose...your defense should've done its job...or maybe you should've kicked an onside kick or forced a fumble on the return.

Green Bay-Arizona...was a shoot-out that went to OT. Neither defense was doing much of anything so when the Packers won the toss, people thought that was it. Peter King even tweeted that he was gonna bitchy about the OT format...then the Cards won on a defensive play...still waiting for him to tell me how that crow tasted

ditto on that...it's supposed to be a team game....OT games aren't won by the coin toss no matter what any moron tries to claim. If you lose the toss and the other team scores on you, you deserved to lose...your defense should've done its job...or maybe you should've kicked an onside kick or forced a fumble on the return.

Green Bay-Arizona...was a shoot-out that went to OT. Neither defense was doing much of anything so when the Packers won the toss, people thought that was it. Peter King even tweeted that he was gonna bitchy about the OT format...then the Cards won on a defensive play...still waiting for him to tell me how that crow tasted

exactly, its the pros, it doesnt have to be fair, if you lose the toss it's your JOB to stop the opposition.