Tires

Virgil

I've bought from The Tire Rack before. Good prices and they will ship it to one of their recommended installers, or your own mechanic, so no need to haul them yourself to get them installed.

Agree 100%. I have bought tires from there a few times. You can't beat the prices. They can also make recommendations as to which tires are right for the vehicle you want them for.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not need V-rated tires. Speed rating is not the same as load rating.

The V rating brings stiffer sidewalls, and a lousier ride. Usually noise. And different tread compounding, biased towards dry-road performance. Auto companies - their marketing departments ( <_< ), use such to imply implication of high performance (as well as the far-to-wide tires fitted on many builds...).

The chart:

L 75 mph 120 km/h Off-Road & Light Truck Tires

M 81 mph 130 km/h

N 87 mph 140km/h Temporary Spare Tires

P 93 mph 150 km/h

Q 99 mph 160 km/h Studless & Studdable Winter Tires

R 106 mph 170 km/h H.D. Light Truck Tires

S 112 mph 180 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

T 118 mph 190 km/h Family Sedans & Vans

U 124 mph 200 km/h

H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes

V 149 mph 240 km/h Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

Hyundai, with the most recent iteration of their little Accent, fitted them with 195 width V-rated tires in it's 1st model year! People flew off the road, because of the lousy overall wet/snow traction.

I know what the owner manual says. It says V rated tires. I have one remember.

Agree 100%. I have bought tires from there a few times. You can't beat the prices. They can also make recommendations as to which tires are right for the vehicle you want them for.

Don't trust tire rack's surveys and comments on their web site.. They don't publish severely negative reviews. They used to sell a "house brand" tire that I've forgotten the name of that was highly rated on the site. I bought them (very low profile v rated) and had a sidewall blowout at 10000 miles on the highway doing 70. They were about 150 each, brand name would've cost about $220. They wouldn't publish my review but have recently removed the brand. There are a lot of inferior, cheap chinese made tires out there that are unsafe. I will never again buy cheap tires and recommend against it to everyone. Stick with the big names like michelin, goodyear, bridgestone etc. Not a guarantee but your odds are better. I have goodyear eagles on 1 car and bridgestone potenzas on the other and their both worth the extra money.

I know what the owner manual says. It says V rated tires. I have one remember.

VA - the auto manuals follow the corporate line. Consistency of voice is vital.

I guarantee you, if you came across a Toyota tire engineer, if confidentiality was assured, they would say exactly what I said.

The only way your Camry could approach the 149 mph tire V rating, is if I shoved it out of the back of a C-130 cruising along at 25,000 feet.

It's marketing hype, my good friend...have I ever lied to you? <_<

Do pay attention to the load rating.

VA - the auto manuals follow the corporate line. Consistency of voice is vital.

I guarantee you, if you came across a Toyota tire engineer, if confidentiality was assured, they would say exactly what I said.

The only way your Camry could approach the 149 mph tire V rating, is if I shoved it out of the back of a C-130 cruising along at 25,000 feet.

It's marketing hype, my good friend...have I ever lied to you? <_<

Do pay attention to the load rating.

If you say so. When I was looking to replace, everyone of the tire places said they would only put V rated on as that is what is in the specs for the vehicle.

And yes to your second question.

"If you say so. When I was looking to replace, everyone of the tire places said they would only put V rated on as that is what is in the specs for the vehicle. "

They lied. They want to peel max bucks out of your hide, And hid behind the absurd factory recommendations. Of course Toyota recommends a tire with an unrealistic, real-world rating. That way, they cover their fannies - same as the tire shops. If you showed up at your local shops with enough $$$, they'd be happy to outfit you with drag racing slicks...

Here's Firestone/Bridgestone site. You will have to negotiate the site yourself...

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/p...ectStore.action

"And yes to your second question."

Are you sure?

You cut me, VA - you cut me deep...

<_<

IMO, Dunn Tire in WNY is terrific. Good prices and great service/treatment, in my experience. Dunno how far south they operate, though.

I am not so sure. I had a sidewall bubble on my AWD vehicle while traveling through BFLO... They tried to sell me 4 new tires... Saying that it is AWD and you need the same tread wear (which is right to a certain extent)... Not even the Chrysler dealer was spouting that crap. It wasn't like my other three tires were totally bald. I had 30k on the set at the time... I just got one new one until the others wore down... About 15-20k later. Then saved the new for a backup when I replaced the set. I went with the Hankooks.

I am not so sure. I had a sidewall bubble on my AWD vehicle while traveling through BFLO... They tried to sell me 4 new tires... Saying that it is AWD and you need the same tread wear (which is right to a certain extent)... Not even the Chrysler dealer was spouting that crap. It wasn't like my other three tires were totally bald. I had 30k on the set at the time... I just got one new one until the others wore down... About 15-20k later. Then saved the new for a backup when I replaced the set. I went with the Hankooks.

Interestingly enough, Chrysler provided a space saver donut as the standard spare on their 90's AWD minivans. I have talked to [unhappy] owners who used them. The transfer case was destroyed before they even got off the shoulder of the road.

Interestingly enough, Chrysler provided a space saver donut as the standard spare on their 90's AWD minivans. I have talked to [unhappy] owners who used them. The transfer case was destroyed before they even got off the shoulder of the road.

That would totally do it if that donut wasn't of the right calibration. I never used mine in 3 years. HOpe they got the bugs worked out... :nana:

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm curious to know what the difference is between the tires though. I know the size I need, but there were like 15 different types of tires. I have no idea what separates one from the other.

If I'm using it for just basic driving, does it really matter? Is there a brand I should stay away from? Is there a minimum performance rating or mileage I should be looking at?

I literally am clueless with this stuff. In terms of installation btw, I think I'm gonna try Mr. Tire. All of the installation and alignment stuff is included in the price and they will pricematch anyone on the tires.

Use tire rack, they are the cheapest 99% of the time. they explain everything. Then have walmart install them for you. for your type of car avoid summer and winter tires, i would go with touring all seasons. Look at the ratings provided by tire rack and whether people would buy them again. Buying the right tires is like buying good sneakers. They totally affect the feel of the car. take a look at bridgestone potenza's. I put them on my wife's acura tl recently after a lot of research, they are real nice. I have continentals on my audi which are nice as well

That would totally do it if that donut wasn't of the right calibration. I never used mine in 3 years. HOpe they got the bugs worked out... :thumbsup:

EEI - probably time to take it out and give it a look-over. They carry a lot of pressure. Yours might need a top-up. Be sure to check the valve core to see if it needs snugging up.

Don't trust tire rack's surveys and comments on their web site.. They don't publish severely negative reviews. They used to sell a "house brand" tire that I've forgotten the name of that was highly rated on the site. I bought them (very low profile v rated) and had a sidewall blowout at 10000 miles on the highway doing 70. They were about 150 each, brand name would've cost about $220. They wouldn't publish my review but have recently removed the brand. There are a lot of inferior, cheap chinese made tires out there that are unsafe. I will never again buy cheap tires and recommend against it to everyone. Stick with the big names like michelin, goodyear, bridgestone etc. Not a guarantee but your odds are better. I have goodyear eagles on 1 car and bridgestone potenzas on the other and their both worth the extra money.

Well, they published my severely critical review of the Kumho Solus KH16... :thumbsup:

Well, they published my severely critical review of the Kumho Solus KH16... :thumbsup:

I posted 4-5 emails for the review page on the Avon Tyres (I remember the name now- avon tech m550 ultra high performance, w speed rated)) with the story of the sidewall blowout-none published. when I inquired, they stated that they reserve the right to post which ever reviews they choose. Eventually, I saw an article on yahoo finance quoting their ceo on not allowing his family to ride in a car with cheap chinese made tires. I emailed him directly thanking him for allowing me and my family to do just that. Avons are no longer carried at tire rack although I'll bet there are some chinese made major branded tires available there still.

and from that you infer that they publish all severely negative reviews?

I infer nothing. I merely state what happened when I proffered a review. You are the one inferring.

My review:

"Kumho Solus KH16 OEM tires on a 2008 Elantra SE, 8,200 miles ...wife's vehicle. A light winter last year, but had a few days' significant snow this year. This vehicle has traction control, anti-lock brakes, and stability control. These tires are abysmal in snow and ice. I'm an older person, and have gotten better winter performance from retreads. I have a "down-dip" driveway, and last year (car was purchased in Dec. '08), I had to put down salt/sand to get up the drive. With the heavier snow, the T/C constantly kicked in from a stop. The ALB chattered when stopping. The last straw was making a slow-speed, slightly downhill left turn, and it plowed and the rear end let loose, and the ESC kicked in. I ordered a set of Goodyear TripleTreds from Tirerack (arrived in one day!). They are currently set at 2 psi above normal by the install shop, being new skins as well as concerns about winter pothole damage - yet they show a noticeably better ride and resistance to bump harshness than the Kumhos. I've worked in the auto biz for many years, and I appreciate that OEM tires are a matter of cost - but this mad drive for fuel economy at all costs has brought us these poor-performing things... I'll put these OEM Kumhos up for sale come spring, and sell them as summer-only tires. Ride harshness aside, they are suited for such."

and from that you infer that they publish all severely negative reviews?

Are you inferring all Chinese made tires are bad, based on this comment?

Avons are no longer carried at tire rack although I'll bet there are some chinese made major branded tires available there still.

Just curious.

Just curious.

check out msnbc.com/id/32899266/ns/business-autos/page/2/ "With Chinese tires, It's buyer beware" or just google chinese tires, theres a nyt article on recalls as well ( I can't get this board to accept links- obviously I'm link challenged but you can get there easily enough) It's controversial but I think it best to avoid tires made in china altogether. and certainly the off brand ones.

Just curious.

check out msnbc.com/id/32899266/ns/business-autos/page/2/ "With Chinese tires, It's buyer beware" or just google chinese tires, theres a nyt article on recalls as well ( I can't get this board to accept links- obviously I'm link challenged but you can get there easily enough) It's controversial but I think it best to avoid tires made in china altogether. and certainly the off brand ones.

birdog - ease up. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have substantial knowledge about tire technology - it goes beyond TireRack info and proceeds to things like slip angle, rubber hysteresis, compounding, tribology, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

I'm not a lay person - I know the business and the technology. I worked in Process Engineering and Materials, and corrosion control. I fought battles with the money people and stylists over tires. Some tread designs pick up the little road stones, then over time fling them onto and into the fenders and rocker boxes that I worked to protect. The battle of engineers vs. stylists re wide tires and lousy compounding and tread design continues today.

The OP asked for help from our membership, and said that replacement tires and the choices out there was not within his ken. Fair questions. I responded, as did others. He mentioned the area where he lived. His vehicle, its' age. I made a recommendation, and mentioned TireRack as a useful source of information, as well as price. Several other poster also spoke well of that business.

Were Virgil living in Alabama, or lives in Minnesota, I might have made different recommendations.

We must not fight.