Anybody know about old sports cars

I bought a 1969 Ford Mustang Grande

- It has long been a promise to our kids that we would be willing to buy them their first car (within reason...no mercedes, jaguars, that sort)

- My son is only 13 years old...but he has always had a love for the old muscule cars like Camero's, Mustangs, etc and is often tagging along with Grandpa to the old car shows (he restores them as well)

- Well...the wife calls me at work and says they came across a 69 Ford Mustang (my sons 2nd choice of car his first is the old Camero Super Sports but those are a mint unless you completely restore it)

- The thing is....this model and teh camero look a lot alike....the car runs well....is actually in great shape with just a few dings, original paint is still good, it has one rip in the interior but thats it and was a one owner car

- We just bought it today for $6500. Is it a good deal?

I bought a 1969 Ford Mustang Grande

- It has long been a promise to our kids that we would be willing to buy them their first car (within reason...no mercedes, jaguars, that sort)

- My son is only 13 years old...but he has always had a love for the old muscule cars like Camero's, Mustangs, etc and is often tagging along with Grandpa to the old car shows (he restores them as well)

- Well...the wife calls me at work and says they came across a 69 Ford Mustang (my sons 2nd choice of car his first is the old Camero Super Sports but those are a mint unless you completely restore it)

- The thing is....this model and teh camero look a lot alike....the car runs well....is actually in great shape with just a few dings, original paint is still good, it has one rip in the interior but thats it and was a one owner car

- We just bought it today for $6500.  Is it a good deal?

132473[/snapback]

I'm an old mustang driver from way back. If you like, PM me some more details (the VIN would be a help), mileage, etc and I'll discuss. $6,500 could be right, or maybe a little high.

ABsolutely - that's what I did with my old Mustang. Kept it registered and insured in my name. But you still have to add the boy to your insurance. And it's a killer. It was $2300 a year for my son to be added as a driver on my 93 convertible.

There is one word that best helps to answer whether or not you go a good deal - FRAME. The biggest issue you will deal with when purchasing a classic sports car is frame rust. If the frame is solid then the other repairs will give you a few years (and a few dollars) of enjoyment with your son. If the frame is rusted out, you are looking at BIG expense.

There is one word that best helps to answer whether or not you go a good deal - FRAME. The biggest issue you will deal with when purchasing a classic sports car is frame rust. If the frame is solid then the other repairs will give you a few years (and a few dollars) of enjoyment with your son. If the frame is rusted out, you are looking at BIG expense.

132502[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more.

132502[/snapback]

Oh...I forgot to add...the body is completely rust free.

There are some oil seals that need to be replaced...but no rust

Oh...I forgot to add...the body is completely rust free.

There are some oil seals that need to be replaced...but no rust

132512[/snapback]

While I'm glad the body is rust free, YOU NEED to check the frame. Get under the car, check the cross member and the area of the frame where the front and rear wheel assemblies connect. These are the major trouble spots.

Either way. HAVE FUN a classic car will bring you the greatest of joy and the biggest of frustrations, but its well worth it.

I recommend that you search around and find a good mustang forum. The experience of the people there will be invaluable in helping you to figure out some of the annoyances you are sure to face. :lol:

While I'm glad the body is rust free, YOU NEED to check the frame. Get under the car, check the cross member and the area of the frame where the front and rear wheel assemblies connect. These are the major trouble spots.

Either way. HAVE FUN a classic car will bring you the greatest of joy and the biggest of frustrations, but its well worth it.

I recommend that you search around and find a good mustang forum. The experience of the people there will be invaluable in helping you to figure out some of the annoyances you are sure to face.  :lol:

132517[/snapback]

Number one being finding parts.

Guest Guest_Bowl Winner_*

The thing I'm noticing about stuff from the past is that some of it is impossible to find. The question is is the car worth that much money to you? If it is then its all good. You're not going to sell it anyway. Enjoy. It sounds like a real find, and there is nothing better then jazzing up an old gem with your son. That my friend is priceless. :lol:

The thing I'm noticing about stuff from the past is that some of it is impossible to find. The question is is the car worth that much money to you?  If it is then its all good.  You're not going to sell it anyway.  Enjoy.  It sounds like a real find, and there is nothing better then jazzing up an old gem with your son. That my friend is priceless. :lol:

132535[/snapback]

I have a 69 Vette and parts are not necessarily hard to find there are a number of companies that produce repoduction parts for folks just like us who like to restore these beauties. Again, many of the online forums are a great place to ask others where certain parts are available from. The internet has made this even easier then classic car restorers had it 10-15 years ago.

I have a 69 Vette and parts are not necessarily hard to find there are a number of companies that produce repoduction parts for folks just like us who like to restore these beauties. Again, many of the online forums are a great place to ask others where certain parts are available from. The internet has made this even easier then classic car restorers had it 10-15 years ago.

132541[/snapback]

That was my point on parts. I'm assuming that John wants to stay as original as possible. I remember trying to canvas Buffalo for hubcaps and such back in the early 70's. Welcome to rust-world. The internet is a definite boon. Although the flip side is a lot of the good southern cars are now up north.

Someone said it perfectly....

find a good Mustang forum b/c you will need their wisdom. I go to turbobuick.com for my love. 87 Buick GN.

....how odd my buddy sold his Fairlane today....

132575[/snapback]

Grand National.....sweet car bud.

OOps...spoke to soon.

All that was left was taking it to a mechanic friend of mine today to give it a final check.....my wife was handling this as I had to work.

Wouldn't you know it....somebody shows up right before us and takes the damn thing to HIS mechanic. The owner thought it was us.

I guess I will see if I have a car after work. My wife had the money in hand to

Thanks! I've had her for three years now. The guy who had it before me kept the paint job mint and the engine clean.

132580[/snapback]

I bought an 84 Vette four years ago......60,000 original miles.....hadn't been out of the garage for eleven years. The guy didnt want to part with it........divorce made him.

I bought an 84 Vette four years ago......60,000 original miles.....hadn't been out of the garage for eleven years. The guy didnt want to part with it........divorce made him.

-----------------

Oooooohhhhh that must have hurt.....damn women always wrecking stuff. But, hey it was your gain.

Do you store it this time of year? I've gotta find a place for mine. I keep it in the garage. It would be nice to have the extra space in there. Especially in the winter.

-----------------

Oooooohhhhh that must have hurt.....damn women always wrecking stuff. But, hey it was your gain.

Do you store it this time of year? I've gotta find a place for mine. I keep it in the garage. It would be nice to have the extra space in there. Especially in the winter.

132591[/snapback]

Yes I keep it in my folks garage....they head south for the winter so their garage gets a tenant until April. Im always miserable putting it away.

-----------------

132591[/snapback]

Reminds me of the "Married With Children" episode when Al goes to the dentist. The dentist's wife calls him just before he starts on Al and tells him she wants his baseball card collection. Dentist says something to the effect of "but you don't like baseball." "But I know you love them."

Women. Can't live with 'em. Can't shoot 'em. :lol: