Bills cut 7 players

turftoe

Actually, a little surprised about Fine...he has been slightly productive over his two seasons. Shawn Nelson is obviously our best tight end, but Fine had his moments.

I liked Fine, but it never seemed to click for him. He kept getting hurt and seemed to be more of a thumper than anything else. Never seemed to understand the nouances of catching the ball.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh Reed(not resigned), Ryan Denney, Keith Ellison, Johnathan Stupar, and Ashton Yobouty(not resigned as I think he is in final year of contract)

The funny part is, you just listed (outside of Stupar) the players I think are msot likely to be back for training camp. Reed is FA, but the Bills hried hi scollege position coach and we are in need of depth at WR, so he could come back. Denney, also a FA, would probably be better suited to play 3-4 end than any other position he has played for us before - might replace Kelsey. Eillison and Youboty are both RFAs (assumiong no new CBA) and will most likely be tendered at least at the "draft pick" compensation level (meaning if another team signs them to an offer sheet, they have to give up their pick in the round we drafted that player originally). Youboty makes the most sense to tender because he was a 3rd rounder and might actually attract some interest, which could net us a pick. Eillison to a lesser extent.

Actually, a little surprised about Fine...he has been slightly productive over his two seasons. Shawn Nelson is obviously our best tight end, but Fine had his moments.

Although I believe Nelson will be our best TE right now I would say Schouman is our best.

The funny part is, you just listed (outside of Stupar) the players I think are msot likely to be back for training camp. Reed is FA, but the Bills hried hi scollege position coach and we are in need of depth at WR, so he could come back. Denney, also a FA, would probably be better suited to play 3-4 end than any other position he has played for us before - might replace Kelsey. Eillison and Youboty are both RFAs (assumiong no new CBA) and will most likely be tendered at least at the "draft pick" compensation level (meaning if another team signs them to an offer sheet, they have to give up their pick in the round we drafted that player originally). Youboty makes the most sense to tender because he was a 3rd rounder and might actually attract some interest, which could net us a pick. Eillison to a lesser extent.

He needs to put on about 15-20 pounds to be a DE in our new D.

Maybe, just maybe, the Bills are clearing up a little $ to pay for a free agent or two.

I think they might have cleared up $2.75 in cap space that doesn't matter in an uncapped year.

We shouldn't be suprised by any of these cuts. These players are the epitome of the Jauron era and likely wouldn't be on any other NFL team. It's sad that people are upset by these cuts - this just signals that we have become some accustomed to mediocrity.

To say that cutting 7 players, 4 of whom weren't on last season's roster, is going to turn the corner for this franchise is insane. Maybe the fact that you think letting these guys go will make a difference for the team's play next year is a signal you have become accustomed to mediocrity. It's going to take more than new nails to get this orca to win the beauty pageant.

Also, I'd bet three of them are signed by new teams by the first week of mini camps.

Anyone that is against these cuts has no idea what the hell they are talking about. These players (and many others on the roster) are directly related to this team being sub par over the past 10 years. We sacrifice our 3rd and 4th string LB's for guys like Palmer, Corto, and other guys like Wendling for our 5th best safety so that we can have decent special teams play. Its a joke, and it was proven as most of our LB's went down this season and we moved one of our safeties to LB because Palmer wasnt as good. Thats just great. On top of it, April proved that with some minor rule changes he was not the genius that everyone thought he was. Maybe he was a product of his players, like Roscoe Parrish and Leodis McKelvin. Isnt it funny that our special teams sucked and Leodis was injured, McGee barely played (because hes old and beat up and too high of a risk for KR because of this), Roscoe proved that hes not so great (IMO hes getting old, losing some speed and elusiveness) and turning into any other stud KR/PR in the league in recent memory. Wheres Dante Hall now? Wheres Devin Hester. Thats right, Hester is playing WR, because he actually has some decent football skill and hes not 170lbs soaking wet. He weights 190, which is pretty darn close to being normal size for an NFL WR. Roscoe weights 170. There are highschool players that weight that much. Let April and Dicky pick some of these guys up on the Eagles. I could care less. Guys like this hurt our roster for actual players that mean anything. Any scrub can make ST's in the NFL. And thats why no one is in the HOF. Its a joke unless your a supreme talent. And that doesnt happen often. Get rid of guys like Kelsey, Schobel, Mitchell, Whitner and Parrish too. These guys arent good enough to start on good teams in the NFL. Mitchell was the 4th best LB for the Giants in a 3-4. Thats not saying much. He was the weak link of their LB's who happened to have a great game in the Super Bowl. Yeah, hes had 3 games like that in 2 years with us. Its a joke. This team is a joke if we continue to think these guys are better then they actually are.

Cut em all Chan and Buddy!!! :ph34r:

It's interesting that you are saying these guys need to go from the ST unit that was a bit of a disaster last year, but all you point out are the return issues. None of these guys return kicks - their main value is on the coverage team.

I don't think the Bills' practice of having players make the team for solely their ST expertise is unique to the Bills - every team does it. If your 5th best safety is playing, you probably aren't getting very good production out of him anyways, unless you invested top 100 picks in every position - depth and starter - on the team. Your 5th S and 6th and 7th LBs shouldn't see the field often enough to make a big difference one way or another.

I think the biggest reason these players were let go is because Nix probably has a different opinion on where you have ST players on the depth chart. Last year it seemed like we liked the TEs, S, CBs, WRs, and LBs (to a smaller extent), whereas I'll bet this year they focus more on LBs and TEs primarily as STers (because that's where I think the extra roster spots are going to go. We're not carrying 7 WRs this year.

Also, the Giants played a 4-3 defense the year they won the SB and Mitchell was on a one year deal playing outside LB and happened to turn into a decent blitzer that season.

I can't understand why you would want to get rid of the one legitimate pass rusher on the team in Schobel or Whitner or Parish before the new staff has a chance to look at them in mini or training camp- unless you get blown away with a trade offer.

I am ok with the cuts. Fine, I thought did a decent job when he was healthy. But he only looked ok because our other TE also suck and under ultilized under dickhead. This goes to show you how bad we have been drafting. It really doesn't matter who we cut as long as we continue to blow the drafts. We will never be a better team.

I agree with you about Palmer. He was a good tackler on ST and did a good job at times on goal line. However, with both Palmer and Wendling, Bob Sanders and George Catavalos would likely have had some input. Perhaps they did not feel that either was sufficiently talented at their assigned position.

As others mentioned, one reason these players may have been cut was to give them a better chance at catching on with another team.

Palmer is a bit of a surprise. I thought he played really well on ST toward the end of last season, and he was playing well enough at LB to get on the field in some situations. Maybe the coaches thought he was a bad fit for the new system. Also keep in mind there's a major roster logjam at OLB. Possibly as many as 10 players on the current roster would be on that depth chart if camp opened today.

Wendling got cut because he can't play S at all. He got on the field a little bit late in the week 4 Miami game. I went back and watched that, and he was just brutal. He was so bad the next time the Bills had to deal with S depth issues, they had Nic Harris practice there, so they could use him instead of Wendling. That's a sure-fire way to get yourself cut. If you are so bad at your position they have players at other positions taking practice reps in front of you, then you probably don't deserve your roster spot.

If the coaches decided they never expect Jenkins to develop into a WR that will get anything resembling regular playing time, then it makes sense to cut him too.

Someone suggested that Marcus Smith could have played NT in the 3-4. I looked up his measurements, and he's something like 6-3 295. So he appears to be too small for NT. Based on what I read, Smith, McGhee, and Phillip were all basically roster fodder that suffered season-ending injuries in training camp last season.

Supposedly Kelly lobbied for him to play receiver but Levy thought he was too valuable on Sts to risk injury on offense. That pretty much shows why he should be a HOFer IMO.

And I'm surprised about Wendling and Fine. I think Stupar stepping up made Fine expendable. Wendling was a stud STer but DeHaven must feel he is replaceable. I bet Fine and Wendling caught on else where. As for the rest, no big losses.

Did you mean to say why Levy shouldn't be in the HoF?

What position would you have Denney play? Too slow OLB or too small DE? I hope Yobouty stays. He has played decent when not injured and could serve as the dime CB. Also if they keep Corner, Florence, and I think Lankster is still on the team along with Mcelvin and McGee that means no CB's need to be drafted!!!!! Ellison sucks and no other team except the Bills would offer him a contract. Just say no to players too small to play their position.