Quick hits

the longest throw he put up in the air was around the 45-50 yd mark, all the top 6 qbs in this draft can throw it that far. I'll say it again, there is nobody with "elite" arm strength in this draft. so why not take the most versatile guy with the highest upside, and by that I mean, Dan Lefevour.

Or wait until next year and get Mallet.

Or wait until next year and get Mallet.

Mallet's no good, I'm tellin you, he's gonna go in the top 5 and some team will waste 50 mil on that kid, he's Ryan Leaf v2.0, mark my words, if anybody we should go for Locker, but since he will go #1 overall, there's no way we'll have a shot at him.

Child, please. Kyle Bowler can throw the ball 70 yards from his knees. Jamarcus Russell can throw a strawberry through a wall. JP Lossman has a howitzer.

What's your point?

Mine point was that since neither of the top 2 guys have elite arm strength we shouldnt use a top pick on either of them, but rather get the guy who I feel has the biggest upside, Lefevour.

the longest throw he put up in the air was around the 45-50 yd mark, all the top 6 qbs in this draft can throw it that far. I'll say it again, there is nobody with "elite" arm strength in this draft. so why not take the most versatile guy with the highest upside, and by that I mean, Dan Lefevour.

What's your point?

Mine point was that since neither of the top 2 guys have elite arm strength we shouldnt use a top pick on either of them, but rather get the guy who I feel has the biggest upside, Lefevour.

Well, aside from Clausen throwing the Ball from the opposite 42, to where it was caught 5 yards deep in the endzone, using simple math I can see that it was 63 yards at that point. But that was not ball to ground, that was ball to Golden Tate about 9 feet in the air. Thats another 4 yards at least if the ball were allowed to hit the ground, for a minimum estimate of 67 yards. Also, it was a perfectly placed ball, right in the middle of the end zone. Who says he cant throw it even farther?

But I digress, its not about that one throw, but all the other throws shown in that video. It is the trajectory and ball speed (aka zip) on those throws that proves his arm strength. His 15 yard outs are on a frozen rope, not some hugely arching slow moving Matt Liernt esq pass. Im sorry but if you cannot notice that Cluasen has "zip" then thats probably why you cannot see that your golden boy Lefevour doesnt have "zip"

Well, aside from Clausen throwing the Ball from the opposite 42, to where it was caught 5 yards deep in the endzone, using simple math I can see that it was 63 yards at that point. But that was not ball to ground, that was ball to Golden Tate about 9 feet in the air. Thats another 4 yards at least if the ball were allowed to hit the ground, for a minimum estimate of 67 yards. Also, it was a perfectly placed ball, right in the middle of the end zone. Who says he cant throw it even farther?

But I digress, its not about that one throw, but all the other throws shown in that video. It is the trajectory and ball speed (aka zip) on those throws that proves his arm strength. His 15 yard outs are on a frozen rope, not some hugely arching slow moving Matt Liernt esq pass. Im sorry but if you cannot notice that Cluasen has "zip" then thats probably why you cannot see that your golden boy Lefevour doesnt have "zip"

Ok, first off I like Clausen, I think he's WAAAAYYYY better than Bradford. The throw you are talking about I thought was from the opponents 42, making it a 50 yd pass, my mistake. I understand trajectory and zip, and I am well aware of clausens ability to put in in there, so to speak, however, his ability to fit the ball in tight spaces is still a question mark. When I talk about Lefevour and his abilities, I am speaking in terms of 2-3 yrs down the road, I have never stated that he would be an instant solution. However I do believe that he can improve over a 2-3 yr span and be better than both bradford and clausen in 5 yrs. Clausen, as much as I do like him as the other top Qb in this draft, has basically peaked physically, he's hit his ceiling, and both Lefevour and bradford have a higher ceiling then clausen, but since Bradford has legitimate injury concerns, I am leaning toward the most durable guy with the highest upside, and that guy is Dan Lefevour.

agreed. He really had a great first quarter of 2008 and was 3 for 3 against Arizona before (actually before and during) going down. Hasn't been the same since. Couple big hits this year haven't helped

It's worth noting that Edwards had his 2 best games in a Bills' uniform AFTER the Wilson hit, at home against SD and (a few weeks later) on the road against KC. If the concussion were that bad, he would've shown signs of it during that game.

Edwards had a great 1st quarter of 2008 because he played against 4 of the worst defensive teams in football (Sea, Jax, Oak, St. L) and a SD that ranked dead last in defense at the time. The only reason SD came back to have a half-way respectable D that year was that they fired Ted Cottrell after the Buffalo loss.

Also killing the concussion-not-the-same argument is Edwards' performance against the hapless Chiefs. We didn't see any concussion-related problems in that game. Ditto for his work against Denver, the 2nd-worst defense in the game in 2008.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but the concussion is nothing more than an excuse. He was decent against the bottom-feeders of the league and lousy against the formidable teams. That's the mark of a guy that just isn't good enough if you ask me.

I think he's just saying that Edwards might get another shot - and, if the coaches and staff would rather build up the lines this year and evaluate Trent and Brohm behind a good O-line, then thats o.k. with me. Physically our QB's have enough. So much of the game is mental, though. Can we teach Edwards back to where he's playing good? I'll leave that to the experts. I think, though, that if there were a true franchise type QB available to Buffalo then they'd jump at getting him. If they stay with Edwards or Brohm this year it is because they don't want to reach on a guy that might not be any better. In that case, I've got to agree.

I agree that all it would be is a shot, but I have to disagree on the bolded part. I just haven't seen anywhere near enough form any of the 3 current QBs to say that they have the skill set to be successful.

I agree that if a franchise QB were available, they'd grab him in a heartbeat. Not sure if one will be available, but I'd sure love to see it.

Edwards thread on insider:

Gailey passing on Clausen for Edwards?

The Buffalo Bills may choose to pass on Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen at No. 9 in the draft to give Trent Edwards a shot at winning the starting job. It may have a lot to do with new coach Chan Gailey's preference at the position. As the Buffalo News' Mark Gaughan points out, "Gailey has made the quarterback position work with Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler and, to a lesser extent, Tyler Thigpen. I think there's a fair chance he's going to look at Edwards and say, 'Let's see what we can do for a season with this guy.' "

There was speculation that they might pursue Donovan McNabb, and they may have already looked into the possibility. But if Gailey misses out on the McNabb sweepstakes, he'll take a long hard look at Edwards -- in person and on film. And it won't be a good sign for Edwards if Gailey drafts Clausen or another first-round QB anyway.

Right now, Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay has the Bills going with Oklahoma's Sam Bradford in his mock draft.

DEAR GOD I HOPE NOT! :rolleyes:

I'll second that emoticon!!