If the Bills are smart they will trade up to #2 and get Ndamukong Suh

Bill Cowher

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'd have to pay a king's ransom to get Suh. Which could be a worthwhile thing to do if he ends up playing like a king. He'd be a RDE in a 3-4 defense, and could easily play at or near a Hall of Fame level there.

While this team is short on warm bodies at a lot of positions (which tends to argue in favor of trading down), it's also short on difference makers--players at or near an elite level who tend to change the whole complexion of a game. To acquire more difference makers, it generally helps to trade up.

I'd define difference makers in three categories:

Type 1: if one of your guys can be productive while using up two of their guys, he's a type 1 difference maker. Jerry Rice had plenty of productive games while being double covered. Bruce Smith had plenty of production while being double teamed.

Type 2: If one of your guys can singlehandedly keep a type 1 difference maker under control throughout the course of the game, he's a type 2 difference maker. You can put a Deion Sanders on a Jerry Rice and be okay. You can put a Tony Boselli on a Bruce Smith and shut him down.

Type 3: If a guy doesn't play a position which lends itself to either of the above categories, but still changes the complexion of the game, he's a type 3 difference maker. Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, and Barry Sanders were all type 3 difference makers.

How many difference makers under the age of 30 does this team really have? On defense, Byrd may fall into that category if he keeps producing like he did as a rookie. Other than him, I can't think of anyone. On offense there's nobody.

Adding Suh would give us another difference maker at a key position on defense. But before we go ahead and pull the trigger, we need to ask ourselves what our current GM would do with the picks, had they not been traded away. If the answer to that is, "he would have done no better than TD or Marv would have," then obviously we pull the trigger. There's no sense in forgoing a player like Suh in order to acquire guys like Mike Williams, Roscoe Parrish, Donte Whitner, John McCargo, or Marshawn Lynch. But if Buddy would have been able to have San Diego-like drafts with those picks, it would be a lot more painful to part with them!!

What would you give up to get another Reggie White?

Then again you just might get another Steve Entman-Brian Bosworth- Tony Mandarich- Erik Flowers- John McCargo- Courtny Brown- Kenneth Simms- Mike Mamula- Mike Williams-Reggie Rogers- Huey Richardson

Even when you think you know...you never know!

He'll def be better than the scrubs you just named. Unlike McCargo, he is not the 3rd best player on his college D-Line. Whether he will be as dominant as Reggie White or just a very good NFL player may be up for debate. But, I would be willing to bet, as would anyone who has actually seen him play, that he will be better than anyone the Bills could get at #9.

The surest way to destroying a franchise through the draft (other then continuously missing on 1st rounders like we do) is to

a. Fall in love with one player

b. Give up the farm for said player

Yes......I get that you really like Suh....heck I like him to. But I also like Baluga, McClain, Davis, Bradford, Clausen, Okung

ONE of those players (or more then one) is going to fall to the 9th overall pick.....and we are going to be able to get that player without giving up the farm.

Trading up is a bad idea....I mean a REALLY bad idea

The surest way to destroying a franchise through the draft (other then continuously missing on 1st rounders like we do) is to

a. Fall in love with one player

b. Give up the farm for said player

Yes......I get that you really like Suh....heck I like him to. But I also like Baluga, McClain, Davis, Bradford, Clausen, Okung

ONE of those players (or more then one) is going to fall to the 9th overall pick.....and we are going to be able to get that player without giving up the farm.

Trading up is a bad idea....I mean a REALLY bad idea

I've always respected your posts John. This one is no exception. Although it made me chuckle... in a good way though. :unsure: I guess i see unintended humor in your post. I agree with everything you have said though.

Go Bills!!

Ive watched every game Suh played at Nebraska, I live in Nebraska. I have my concerns his first move from the snap of the football is to stand straight up. He's not going to play DT he will be a DE and the speed he can run at is unbelievable. At 300 pounds he's like Levon Kirkland if he played LB. Also he is not a wrecking ball of a pass rusher in the huskers scheme he often played the spy on the quarterback and if he took off (like they often do in college) Suh would run him down. I wouldn't take him with our first round pick because of the lack of leverage way he plays. The good - he's a tackling machine, smart, wants to be great, and heck of a guy I guess. But not a penetrating pass rush guy