Beef on Weck

Guffalo

Never made it myself, but here's a recipe that includes the cooking of the roast...

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/BeefOnWeck.htm

I saw that, but they only said 45 minutes for cooking time, I want to get the time per pound with temperature, I couldnt find one like that, I will keep searching, Thanks Jack

From the link Jack provided-

[/qPreheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Rub roast with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place roast on rack in a shallow baking pan, tucking the thin end under to make it as thick as the rest of the roast. Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until thermometer registers 130 to 135 degrees F. Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board; let stand 15 minutes before carving. Reserve meat juice, and carve meat into very thin slices.

uote]

Seems like enough info to me. I would go higher than 135 though.

I saw that, but they only said 45 minutes for cooking time, I want to get the time per pound with temperature, I couldnt find one like that, I will keep searching, Thanks Jack

about 30 minutes per pound is what I've read, but that might be long.

I put a 3 and 4 lbs sirloin in yesterday at 300 F, and it was done well before then. Use a meat thermometer, check it periodically after 90 minutes or so. 140 for rare, 160 med 170 for well done. It will keep cooking for a half hour or so after taking it out.

Putting it in the fridge for an hour makes it a lot easier to slice.

Mine's sitting in its juices right now...the kitchen smells like...victory.

I have a 3 lb roast beef, Making beef on weck, how long should I put it in the oven, and at what temperature? I already know how to make the Kimmelweck rolls, just need the beef preparation.

Making very good home-made beef 'n weck is quite easy. Rump roast is best for the beef source. Larger cuts used to be named "steamship round". Never use an eye cut - no fat. Never use a rib cut - too much fat.

Scrape off the meat, then lightly dust with marjoram and onion powder. Apply a small amount of kosher salt - not much at all..a pinch per surface,or less. Bake at 325 F for a temp of 130 or less (use that thermometer probe!). Reserve juices if you can, save them and add them to the au Jus mix. Let the beef cool completely under a foil tent, then into the icebox in a container.

Slice thin when cold.

When ready to serve, have one of those $1.25 powder envelopes of au Jus prepared on the stove, per package directions. Add any reserved juice to that.

Thanks everyone, it came out great, only snafu was my meat slicer broke before I could cut it. I took it apart and the gears inside were stripped. I ended up using an electric carving knife to slice the meat, not as thin as the slicer, but still came out great.

Thanks everyone, it came out great, only snafu was my meat slicer broke before I could cut it. I took it apart and the gears inside were stripped. I ended up using an electric carving knife to slice the meat, not as thin as the slicer, but still came out great.

Glad it went well. I've a cheap slicer (I think it was a 45 dollar no-name Walgreens item), but I never use it because it's a pain to clean.

An electric knife does it for me - use it enough for the task at hand, and you learn to get good at shaving off the slices.

we get deli cut beef, slightly on the rare side, then cook it in gravy for about 30 minutesw on low heat. Serve on a kummelweck roll with horseradish and a dill pickle wedge. I prefer it with the gravy than 'dry'

we get deli cut beef, slightly on the rare side, then cook it in gravy for about 30 minutesw on low heat. Serve on a kummelweck roll with horseradish and a dill pickle wedge. I prefer it with the gravy than 'dry'

Yep! That is the way to do it too. I got slammed for the "gravy"... But that is the BFLO way... Au jus is not the right way... It isn't bad... But not right.

Actually, top round with a nice piece of suet on top... Cooked rare slower... Like you said, it will cook more in the gravy and it is easier to slice rare.