Ran into Eric Wood & Brian Brohm

Dawgg

Um, Green Bay not only did not waive him this past November, when Buffalo made him an offer, GB immediately moved to match BFLO's. Mike McCarthy is extremely high on Brohm.

Here's the relevant quote from Wikipedia: "Brohm was signed off the Packers practice squad by the Buffalo Bills on November 19, 2009 after the Bills waived Gibran Hamdan."

Some of you make it so easy-like shooting fish in a barrel.

How do you think he got on the practice squad? Green Bay waived the guy in September. About the only thing you seem to know is that he didn't get waived in November. No team that spent a 2nd rounder one year earlier on a player whose head coach is high on the guy, waives the guy, exposing him to a claim by all 31 other teams. You can do that with late rounders who can go under the radar, but not former 2nd round who you're "extremely high on".

Next time you want to tell us a practice squad player wasn't waived, think about how he got there. Every practice squad player has cleared waivers prior to going on the practice squad.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you think he got on the practice squad? Green Bay waived the guy in September. About the only thing you seem to know is that he didn't get waived in November. No team that spent a 2nd rounder one year earlier on a player whose head coach is high on the guy, waives the guy, exposing him to a claim by all 31 other teams. You can do that with late rounders who can go under the radar, but not former 2nd round who you're "extremely high on".

Next time you want to tell us a practice squad player wasn't waived, think about how he got there. Every practice squad player has cleared waivers prior to going on the practice squad.

And that's the thing people love to gloss over. Brohm was waived ... twice.

Yeah, maybe Brohm had no shot in GB with AR already starting, but it does say a lot when the "highly touted" second rounder cannot beat the lowly seventh rounder drafted the same year for the back up spot.

For all the people who like to cling to Brohm being "highly touted" 2-3 years ago, might I remind them that JaMarcus Russell can probably be had cheap.

I'm not certain of this, but I think teams can assign players to the practice squad without offically waiving them. After the last round of cuts, teams have 8 available practice squad slots in addition to their 53 man active roster. I don't think they are actually part of the waiver process. I tried to look this up but didn't find anything definitive to post a link to.

I'm not certain of this, but I think teams can assign players to the practice squad without offically waiving them. After the last round of cuts, teams have 8 available practice squad slots in addition to their 53 man active roster. I don't think they are actually part of the waiver process. I tried to look this up but didn't find anything definitive to post a link to.

In order to be on the practice squad, the player has to be released from the team.

Any player on any practice squad is considered a free agent, and can be claimed by any team.

In order to be on the practice squad, the player has to be released from the team.

Any player on any practice squad is considered a free agent, and can be claimed by any team.

That's about right. Players are only eligible for practice squads if they've been waived. Once a player clears waivers he is free to sign with any other team's 53 man roster or all the teams, including his own former team's, practice squad. What can confuse some is that PUP'd players are allowed to practice in the weeks between when they become eligible & the time they have to be either activated or IR'd.

Practice squad players aren't claimed, they are just free to walk away & leave at any time-the exception being they can't be signed to a contract by the team's upcoming opponent. It used to be that the team that had the player on the practice squad had a right of 1st refusal and could sign the player to their own 53 man roster if another team wanted him-that is no longer the case.

On a side note, Brohm was only waived once, back in September. Being a free agent already, he wasn't waived a 2nd time.

That's about right. Players are only eligible for practice squads if they've been waived. Once a player clears waivers he is free to sign with any other team's 53 man roster or all the teams, including his own former team's, practice squad. What can confuse some is that PUP'd players are allowed to practice in the weeks between when they become eligible & the time they have to be either activated or IR'd.

Practice squad players aren't claimed, they are just free to walk away & leave at any time-the exception being they can't be signed to a contract by the team's upcoming opponent. It used to be that the team that had the player on the practice squad had a right of 1st refusal and could sign the player to their own 53 man roster if another team wanted him-that is no longer the case.

On a side note, Brohm was only waived once, back in September. Being a free agent already, he wasn't waived a 2nd time.

Brohm was drafted in April 2008, and participated in the Packers 2008 and 2009 training camps and preseasons.

In both instances, Brohm ended up on the practice squad after being released by the Packers.

Umm, I'm fairly certain that football careers can be expected to last well beyond 27, even for linemen.

Misstatement on my part as the age issue factors in not that he it too old, but that by the age of 27 one likely generally experience or at least begin to see some signs of dominance from a player who is gonna be your leading Olinemen for the remaining significant number of years he has til he is forced to retire.

Hamgartner has demonstrated so far that he is a reliable back-up and maybe a starter on a solid team. However, by his young age (for a normal person) he should be at least showing some signs of dominance if he ever is gonna do so. He is a good plan B for us if Wood, Incognito, or Levitre turn out not to be the answer, but I do not think anyone seriously expects him to be the leader we want on our OL.

Brohm was drafted in April 2008, and participated in the Packers 2008 and 2009 training camps and preseasons.

In both instances, Brohm ended up on the practice squad after being released by the Packers.

He was on the active roster as 3rd stringer his rookie year.

And that's the thing people love to gloss over. Brohm was waived ... twice.

Yeah, maybe Brohm had no shot in GB with AR already starting, but it does say a lot when the "highly touted" second rounder cannot beat the lowly seventh rounder drafted the same year for the back up spot.

For all the people who like to cling to Brohm being "highly touted" 2-3 years ago, might I remind them that JaMarcus Russell can probably be had cheap.

That 7th rounder was Matt Flynn. National Championship holder Matt Flynn. Of the LSU Tigers. They play in the SEC, which in the opinion of many is the greatest football conference in the world. Don't act like this kid was some chump out of a D-III school.

"On January 7, 2008, Flynn led LSU to a BCS National Championship, beating Ohio State 38-24. Flynn was named offensive MVP of the game. As the starting quarterback for LSU, Flynn led the Tigers to an undisputed #1 poll position." :(